Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Driving Test - My Crazy Laneway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,
Just picked up my Model s (85KW) this morning. First off, it's incredible.

My fear over the past few months of waiting has been winter driving. I have a ridiculous lane way and use 4 wheel-drive for my other vehicle. Wouldn't you know it, delivery day here in Ontario has come during a Freezing Rain warning, and we've seen snow, rain, and freezing rain for
most of the day.

The 160 KM drive back from Toronto was great - no issues in the weather. I plowed the lane way before I left, but arrived to a snow-covered mess. Figured I give it a shot because I need to know sooner or later how well it drives up and down the lane!

Surprisingly, I made it up without a hitch. The traction control light blinked the whole way, but it made it up without issue. Twice (I left and came back again). I have the Tesla Winter Tire package on it.

To put it in perspective, here's a video of my lane way from last year. Conditions today were worse.
My Crazy Laneway - YouTube

Hope that helps put any fears to rest on winter traction! I'll update if/when I have my first trouble getting up the lane.

Hi Everyone,
Just picked up my Model s (85KW) this morning. First off, it's incredible.

My fear over the past few months of waiting has been winter driving. I have a ridiculous lane way and use 4 wheel-drive for my other vehicle. Wouldn't you know it, delivery day here in Ontario has come during a Freezing Rain warning, and we've seen snow, rain, and freezing rain for
most of the day.

The 160 KM drive back from Toronto was great - no issues in the weather. I plowed the lane way before I left, but arrived to a snow-covered mess. Figured I give it a shot because I need to know sooner or later how well it drives up and down the lane!

Surprisingly, I made it up without a hitch. The traction control light blinked the whole way, but it made it up without issue. Twice (I left and came back again). I have the Tesla Winter Tire package on it.

To put it in perspective, here's a video of my lane way from last year. Conditions today were worse.
My Crazy Laneway - YouTube

Hope that helps put any fears to rest on winter traction! I'll update if/when I have my first trouble getting up the lane.

Congratulations, on all fronts!

I feel your pain, my own drive is a bit shorter but similar in slope and curve and the road at the end is not nearly as busy; it is one reason I'd rather have a MX instead of an S but obviously my fears of RWD on ice are not well founded. Please contribute to the winter driving threads as you gain more experience.
Congratulations!