Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Thread on Pistonheads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dpeilow

May 23, 2008
Winchester, UK
RE: Tesla Model S Revealed

Still a few troglodytes, but an awful lot more people do seem to be saying, "hang on a minute, I can see how this might work for me". E.g:

Looking round my office now it would suit most of us with our 30 mile or less each way commutes, agreed not for going on holiday or for travelling more than a few hundred miles but for the vast majority it would do just the job. Plus you could use the money saved to run a V12 for days when the Tesla would not go far enough.

Tesla’s new Model S – a ‘sporty’ $50k five-door billed as the world’s first mass-produced electric vehicle....
The predicted 300 mile range will be possible because the Model S has 8000 battery cells against the Tesla Roadster’s 6000.

I know we have gone over this many times, but articles continue to quote the $50K price and then talk only of 300 mile range...

It is fairly clear that the 300 mile range version will cost a lot more than the (160 mile range) base model, right?

Also that is a UK publication where they quote $50K which takes into account a US specific $7500 incentive program.

Yes, I suppose that is part of the modern frustration of companies as they see their press releases butchered by both establishes publications and little blogger sites that both can appear (on the surface) to be equally valid news sites when they show up side by side as the result of a google search.

Not that the big, established publications always get it right either, but at least they have more fact checkers, and in many cases try harder to uphold a reputation.

For this reason, I think it is helpful if the original press releases try not to infer too much and lay things out very plainly so they are less subject to misinterpretation.