Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Somerset, PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great news! I was able to confirm with the borough manager that the permit was issued!

Jason,
We recently issued a permit for such a station at 1030 North Center Avenue. Thank you for asking, and I hope you will enjoy visiting Somerset.
Ben

Benedict G. Vinzani, Jr.
Somerset Borough Manager
1-814-443-2661 phone
1-814-445-3881 fax

Here is a google maps quick snap... A quick survey shows Wendy's, Ruby Tuesdays, Eat-n-Park (awesome) anyone in the area to take some progress pics?

somerset.jpg

Nice job, FryFrye! I will be heading that way on the 26th, and will definitely stop and scout it out. The folks at King of Prussia told me they thought this was due to be online by the end of the year, but I assumed they were just reading the dots off of the Coming Soon map vs. the 2014 map, so I didn't put much stock in it. The employee on the phone didn't know if I meant Somerset, NJ or Somerset, PA, so I don't think he had much inside info.

Great find, fryfrye! I've stopped in Somerset PA once before, and I ate at that Eat-n-Park. :)
JakeP: I hadn't thought about it, but King of Prussia is actually a lot closer to Somerset NJ (55-70 miles) than it is to Somerset PA (~220 miles).

I generally agree that Breezewood seems like a more logical location for DC drivers going north/northwest. But by having both Hagerstown and Somerset, and presumably Harrisburg/Carlisle as well, Tesla increases supercharger density (more choices for stopping) and increases covered routes (Hagerstown helps I-81 and I-68). Got ideal conditions? You can possibly skip one.

I'd also argue that Hagerstown is a decent location to stop en route from DC to Penn State, as long as you have reasonable Level 2 options at your destination.

PA superchargers: 1 down, 1 more "coming soon" yet to be found/confirmed, and (at least) 4 more beyond. :) I'm now much more hopeful that I'll be able to drive my Model S to Pittsburgh in late January for work, and I'm also thinking of heading up with the family for CMU's spring carnival (plus milestone reunion).

Zoning inspector says construction has been underway for a week now, he is heading over there today to check on progress, and will call me later with an update and an estimate to complete, if available.

I also emailed an update for the teslawiki.net/superchargers page.

Thanks again Fryfrye!

UPDATE: Heard back from the Somerset Borough zoning officer; he just did a site inspection today, and spoke to the foreman. Construction is well underway, but they are still waiting on the transformers. Scheduled date for Somerset PA coming online is January 9, 2014.

I'll be in OH tomorrow, and will see if I can get some pics and an update on Macedonia.

Excited since the Somerset Supercharger is confirmed. This will make my DC trips that much easier. I am about 40 mil north west to Somerset. Took my MS for a ride to the site. Some progress since Greg G took pictures. Concrete base was poured in for the transformer. No TESLA proprietary equipment on site yet. Great location for a quick stop. a couple minutes from the Turnpike exit. fast food chains nearby(Wendys, McDonalds and Arbys) Eat N park and Ruby Tuesdays on the same block. Best of all, Starbucks is across the road. Took few pics.
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0016.JPG
IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0019.JPG
IMG_0022.JPG
IMG_0023.JPG
IMG_0025.JPG
IMG_0026.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0024.JPG
    IMG_0024.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 484