Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I ordered!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally did it. Sold my Audi TT, and am taking the bus while I wait for my Performance +. I am so excited.

I am the definition of a stretch buyer... make about 70k a year with my wife (we are young, no kids to feed yet), but every time I saw a Tesla in the Seattle area, I hated my life.

The only option I am struggling with are the seats. I feel silly getting cloth seats in such an expensive car, but I really hate the look of worn leather, and I am hoping that the cloth seats will be a bit more stable for the passengers. Can anyone comment on the comfort of the cloth seats? Are they itchy (aka Volt seats) or soft? Anyone got cloth and really wish they got the leather? My understanding is the features in the seats are the same now as well. Can someone confirm that?

Anyways, so happy to be able to experience the joy of Tesla. This will be our only car, so hopefully the naysayers that say "it's just a second toy car for most" are completely wrong!

Did I mention I am excited?

I finally did it. Sold my Audi TT, and am taking the bus while I wait for my Performance +. I am so excited.

Congrats!

I am the definition of a stretch buyer... make about 70k a year with my wife (we are young, no kids to feed yet), but every time I saw a Tesla in the Seattle area, I hated my life.

Woah!

The only option I am struggling with are the seats. I feel silly getting cloth seats in such an expensive car, but I really hate the look of worn leather, and I am hoping that the cloth seats will be a bit more stable for the passengers. Can anyone comment on the comfort of the cloth seats? Are they itchy (aka Volt seats) or soft? Anyone got cloth and really wish they got the leather? My understanding is the features in the seats are the same now as well. Can someone confirm that?

I'm happy with cloth--only miss heated seats, but I bought at the end of 2012, just before they upgraded, and I didn't want to pay a chunk extra just to get heated seats of a type I didn't want (leather). But cloth seats have been heated since the minor price increase in December? January? almost a year ago.

:cool: We're all very happy for you!

- - - Updated - - -

Are they itchy (aka Volt seats) or soft?

BTW I never drive naked, so I don't know if they're itchy or not. ;-) But I've driven in shorts and haven't noticed. Have you seen them? They're part fabric and part...pleather? leatherette?...i.e., part smooth and part fabric-y. I'm not sure your bare legs, wearing shorts, even touch the fabric. But anyway, like I said, they don't seem itchy to me.

Congrats to you and your family! What a Christmas present!

Thanks Bonnie. A long time ago, (I think) you told a story about buying an expensive car when you were young and having lawn furniture inside, and it being totally worth it. It was slightly inspirational!

Thanks everyone for the seat comparison. I am going to have to hunt around and sit in some cloth ones myself before I make the final decision I think. I'm feeling more and more like the leather seats won't be worth it in a year after they are wrinkled and worn.

We have the gray leather. I kind of wish I had gotten the cloth seats, but my better half really wanted the leather, and we both wanted light-colored seats. (If only the cloth came in other colors! Then I might have won the argument!)

When we get our Model X, we're probably going to get cloth.

Congratulations! I'm surprised you're more concerned with seat fabric selection than tire selection. I've got 11,000 miles on the 19 inch tires and they still look like new. I suspect the 21 inch tires wear much faster. I would think that a stretch buyer might be concerned about replacing tires more frequently.

Congratulations! I'm surprised you're more concerned with seat fabric selection than tire selection. I've got 11,000 miles on the 19 inch tires and they still look like new. I suspect the 21 inch tires wear much faster. I would think that a stretch buyer might be concerned about replacing tires more frequently.

Tires are my thing, I used to sell them in high school and early college.

I am selling the 21's and tires the second I get them, and getting staggered 20's instead. So much more affordable, and I'll probably net around 4k after all is said and done. They should last longer too. The Tesla rims really seem overpriced.

Congratulations! You will have so much fun with your Model S! And the benefits of owning one will just get better with time!

I was a "stretch buyer" for sure, some of my family still have the attitude I have no business driving such a "ridiculously expensive car."
But whatever the nay-sayers may say, I still feel wonder and awe every day: Model S is my only car and my daily driver.
It really is a privilege to own and drive a Model S! It really feels like the car of the future, and the best car ever!
I have never been happier with any purchase in my whole life! Every day it brings me joy!
So far nearly flawless with only one issue with a rear window regulator.
The ranger showed up the next day and replaced both sides in under an hour. Never had an issue since of any kind, also no squeaks, no rattles, it is just solid as can be.
The Tesla Ranger was in my town recently (I live 435 miles from the Service Center) and called to see if the car needed anything while he was here for another owner.
And I had to answer that it needs absolutely nothing! The car is operating perfectly as designed. And Tesla service has been outstanding!

I got the 85 non-P, but decided I would go for the Tech Package and Air Susp.
Got standard sound and 19" wheels to save on tires, but I did go for the Pano roof (before cost increase).
So far cost of ownership: since I received the car in May: $285 in electricity cost.
11,000 miles on the car. (And I did buy Michelin X-Ice 3 winter tires, which came in at around 1500.)
My car has the grey leather, and the seats still look absolutely new! Not a scratch or wrinkle or stain anywhere on them.
Some wear around the B-pillar by the driver's door and the inside door handle on the driver's side has a few little scuffs.

My only complaint is the black carpeting is quite hard to keep clean.. That black carpet is just like velcro for multiple types of fiber, and shows it all!
Even vacuum has a hard time removing it effectively.
The mats that came with the car were pretty worthless. I had to spring for the all weather mats and even then the carpet areas get dirty fast.

Have used the car for everything, gone everywhere I wanted to go in all kinds of road conditions, and have been hauling loads of stuff: boxes, tires, 2x4's, firewood, tools, luggage, bikes, etc.
I must say the upholstery is very durable! And so is the rest of the car!

I can confidently say you won't be disappointed. And as for nay-sayers: a lot of folks don't understand, some don't want to understand.
But I don't care: having a Model S, and being part of the Electric Car Revolution is worth every penny!
In 8 years time the long term durability of the car will begin to outpace all others.
My prediction: Model S will go on and on for hundred's of thousands of miles needing very little maintenance and costing so much less for fuel! And still get periodic upgrades!
The long term cost of ownership looks quite compelling. Insurance has been VERY reasonable.
And then there is the safety factor: SAFEST CAR ON THE ROAD.

I guess I share your excitement!

Congratulations!!

Stretch buyer here, too. Have had my MS for 9 months and don't regret stretching one single bit. It has literally increased my quality of life and is therefore well worth it. Would absolutely do it all over again.
Enjoy!

, no kids to feed yet... The only option I am struggling with are the seats.

If kids are in your future, and will be in your car, get the leather. Otherwise, the food you will be feeding them will end up on your seats... and leather is so much easier to wipe clean than cloth. I never really appreciated leather until I had kids, and that was especially so when I first experienced projectile vomiting. Try getting that smell out of cloth on the side of the highway.

Congratulations.... and welcome to the waiting club with me!

Anyways, so happy to be able to experience the joy of Tesla. This will be our only car, so hopefully the naysayers that say "it's just a second toy car for most" are completely wrong!

Congrats Jhall18, I can't comment on the seats, I have leather. I just took delivery yesterday over on 6th ave S. I only had it for 30 mins before dropping it off at metro detail in Bellevue, they're putting on a full wrap for me. I'll have her back tomorrow evening just in time for the snow we're getting tomorrow. I'm down in Olympia by the way. As your can't wait anxiety increases, visit the forum, it'll get you through. The Tesla phone app is cool I can keep tabs on it while it's being kept at metro.

Congratulations Jhall118 !

I ordered in late November and last time I called Tesla somebody told me the car could get delivered late January. I have a bad case of wait-anxiety, can hardly work!
This TMC forums made me survive week by week, ...but it still looks so far far away until delivery.

Leather is always a better choice than cloth, it will last a pretty long and decent time looking ´like new´ if you take care of it (dust, damp wipe, cold cream on).

So you've ordered, but did you confirm? You can speed things up by logging into your dashboard and clicking the huge, red "CONFIRM" button. It could save you two weeks!

As for the cloth, we got them BECAUSE we have two kids. They currently sit in the rear-facing seats and if those get dirty enough, we can just pop them out and wash/dry them outside the car.

Congrats, and welcome! I could say, "Try not to go crazy waiting for the car" but it usually doesn't help. ;)