Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Have Experience with Gold Coast Auto Body in Chicago?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately I am not asking for a friend. Sigh.
Photo Dec 17, 11 39 39 AM.jpg
Photo Dec 17, 11 39 47 AM.jpg
Photo Dec 17, 11 56 59 AM.jpg

Guessing you were backing up with the door open and it snagged something?

Not familiar with Gold Coast, are they a Tesla Approved facility? Otherwise Marshall autobody here in SE/Wisconsin is approved.

Nope, parked, with the Door just having been opened when an Acura SUV came roaring into the open spot next to me and ran edge on into the door :cursing:. Cut through their bumper like a knife and left me with what you see above. door wouldn't close so I had to get it towed.

Yeah, I called Tesla even before I called the insurance company and Gold Coast is apparently the approved body shop in Chicago.

Ouch. Well, I was close at least ;)

The Acura Insurance is covering it right? If so, make sure that the work is completed to a T (No pun intended). They better make that damn perfect. And if they argue, remind them that it could have been YOU getting rammed by that Acura's bumper. Doubt YOU would have cut through it...

Yep, I've had experience with them and it was good. However they are a HIGH volume shop, and I think you would be wise to ask to speak with the owners when you go in. I'm sure as soon as they see a Tesla, you'll get the right level of attention and personnel assigned to your repair. I would not deal with the front desk clerk on this one.

Sorry, Paco, to see that damage. In case you don't know, you also have a claim for "accelerated depreciation". You can read about the nature of this head of damages here:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...full-value-for-my-crashed-car/article9454999/

Of course, most insurers strongly resist accelerated depreciation claims, but they usually pay after you commence a small claims action because these claims are easy to prove and that is especially so with a Tesla. Also, now with on-line damage reports, buyers will likely pass up your car because of the repaired damage, or offer you less than if it had not been damaged and repaired. My advice: don't hire a lawyer! Tell the insurer you have a lawyer in the family that has educated you on this issue (a white lie that often works since then they know you don't have to pay for legal fees) and you will see them in small claims court if there is not a fair settlement offer made. But first, get your property damage fixed so they don't screw you around on that. Also, find out the limitation date for tort actions in your State (a simple google search) and don't miss that date (usually two years so not a concern but check that). Also, don't sign any release forms for the property damage. If they don't pay for accelerated damages after fixing the vehicle damage, start the small claims action yourself and they will likely pay after that. You don't need lawyers in small claims court. The last thing they will want is a decision that sets a precedent, as noted in the article link. Good luck!

Yep, I've had experience with them and it was good. However they are a HIGH volume shop, and I think you would be wise to ask to speak with the owners when you go in. I'm sure as soon as they see a Tesla, you'll get the right level of attention and personnel assigned to your repair. I would not deal with the front desk clerk on this one.

Thanks, good to hear some positive reviews. It's even more of a pain for me since the shop is almost an hours drive from home. Will check back in when I know more about costs and time lines for the repair. Cross your fingers and wish upon a star everyone that it's just the door that needs to be replaced!

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, Paco, to see that damage. In case you don't know, you also have a claim for "accelerated depreciation". You can read about the nature of this head of damages here:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...full-value-for-my-crashed-car/article9454999/

Of course, most insurers strongly resist accelerated depreciation claims, but they usually pay after you commence a small claims action because these claims are easy to prove and that is especially so with a Tesla. Also, now with on-line damage reports, buyers will likely pass up your car because of the repaired damage, or offer you less than if it had not been damaged and repaired. My advice: don't hire a lawyer! Tell the insurer you have a lawyer in the family that has educated you on this issue (a white lie that often works since then they know you don't have to pay for legal fees) and you will see them in small claims court if there is not a fair settlement offer made. But first, get your property damage fixed so they don't screw you around on that. Also, find out the limitation date for tort actions in your State (a simple google search) and don't miss that date (usually two years so not a concern but check that). Also, don't sign any release forms for the property damage. If they don't pay for accelerated damages after fixing the vehicle damage, start the small claims action yourself and they will likely pay after that. You don't need lawyers in small claims court. The last thing they will want is a decision that sets a precedent, as noted in the article link. Good luck!

Thanks for the heads up Canuck! from reading that article it sounds like the important thing is to get an accurate measure of the pre and post accident vehicle values. Any suggestions on where I might get that info? Is this something Tesla would be able to give?

IT's going to be hard to get valuation given not a lot of cars on aftermarket. But I totally agree with Canuck… as soon as your car has a collision on its "permanent record" it is worth 20% less on the aftermarket (for trade in, or savvy car fax buyers).

Got my estimate back this afternoon. $4700 for parts and labor. door and hinges getting replaced and "some" repairs to the pillar where the hinges are mounted. Tough to see the car totally disassembled but at least this way I know there won't be any hidden damage. Now for the bad news, 8-10 days for parts, 2-3 weeks for repairs... ugh. I'm hoping they are under promising and then over delivering.
Photo_08.jpg

Now to work on the diminished value claim.

What has the response been so far? Insurers are always surprised when someone mentions "accelerated depreciation" and will do their best to make up BS excuses as to why it doesn't apply, when it clearly does apply. Instead of "diminished value" use the term "accelerated depreciation" since it is the more common legal term when it comes to this head of damages.

By the way, don't forget my 10% consulting fee for alerting you to this claim... ;)

What has the response been so far? Insurers are always surprised when someone mentions "accelerated depreciation" and will do their best to make up BS excuses as to why it doesn't apply, when it clearly does apply. Instead of "diminished value" use the term "accelerated depreciation" since it is the more common legal term when it comes to this head of damages.

By the way, don't forget my 10% consulting fee for alerting you to this claim... ;)

Your Check is in the mail Canuck!

Still need to get an appraisal so that I can go to the insurance company with some numbers and documentation from a third party so no reaction just yet. I am of course expecting resistance, I need to know what the total potential claim is so I can understand how weighty my threat of legal action will be. When combined with the Loss of Use claim the number could be substantial. $400/day to rent a Tesla from Hertz adds up in a hurry.

- - - Updated - - -

How well did they match the paint? Painful seeing that injury. I would have been seething while facing the Acura driver.

Looks flawless to me, but it's definitely something I'll be looking at over time in changing lights and seasons etc. what I'm not 100% on is if the replacement door I got was prepainted or painted at the auto-body shop. I would assume it was painted at the auto shop but regardless it looks good to me.

Well we got rear-ended last Saturday. We were stationary and a young gentleman hit the rear end. There appears to be no structural damage.

In any case I heard that what Gold Coast charges frequently exceeds the insurance payment. Tesla Chicago suggested the other choice is Service King.

Any prior Tesla repair experiences? Best & Tks v m.

Well we got rear-ended last Saturday. We were stationary and a young gentleman hit the rear end. There appears to be no structural damage.

In any case I heard that what Gold Coast charges frequently exceeds the insurance payment. Tesla Chicago suggested the other choice is Service King.

Any prior Tesla repair experiences? Best & Tks v m.

Nearly pulled the front of my Tesla off backing off of a curb. Andy at Ultimate Paint Shop II was fantastic. In Michigan, and had my car on a flatbed within hours. Andy worked with insurance and sourced and installed parts in less time than quoted. Good people.

Andy Cyzon
Ultimate Paint Shop II
2050 First Street
Highland Park, IL 60035

TEL (847) 748-8104
FAX (847) 748-8107

• Informative
Reactions: VikH