Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When I put the car in Park the passenger door opens

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a S60 and when I switch from drive to park the passenger door opens. It started to happen just a few days after I upgraded to 5.8. Yesterday I upgraded to the latest software after that. Does it have to do with the new software 5.8?

I also have an MS60 with an April delivery. My passenger door started popping open in the past 3 weeks, intermittently. Mainly when I closed my driver side door the passenger door would pop. I think it had to do with the colder weather we are having here in CA. I brought it to the Service Center, but could not replicate my problem, but did mention that the mechanism was a tad more sensitive than the rest of the doors, which would explain it popping open when I closed the driver side door. They replaced the door handle and mechanism today. Will see if it fixes the problem.

Gee, not sure this is a problem, particularly if you have a passenger. Would be cool if the door automatically opened. Come to think of it, Tesla should change the firmware so that if there is a passenger in the passenger seat, when the car is put into park, their door opens automatically for them. :wink:

Gee, not sure this is a problem, particularly if you have a passenger. Would be cool if the door automatically opened. Come to think of it, Tesla should change the firmware so that if there is a passenger in the passenger seat, when the car is put into park, their door opens automatically for them. :wink:

You're probably joking, but this is a bad idea. If you are parked at an incline, the door would swing open on its own.

- - - Updated - - -

I also have an MS60 with an April delivery. My passenger door started popping open in the past 3 weeks, intermittently. Mainly when I closed my driver side door the passenger door would pop. I think it had to do with the colder weather we are having here in CA. I brought it to the Service Center, but could not replicate my problem, but did mention that the mechanism was a tad more sensitive than the rest of the doors, which would explain it popping open when I closed the driver side door. They replaced the door handle and mechanism today. Will see if it fixes the problem.
Apoclyps, I can't recall, do you have the newer handles or the original style? I know we got our cars around the same time, but seem to remember yours being built before mine and thus perhaps didn't have the newer handles?

I updated to 5.8 (1.39.60) two days ago. Now I have TWICE had the rear passenger door pop open slightly when I put the car into P. I've driven about 10 times, so it's less then half the time. I will inquire with the service center if the old-style door handle is the issue.

I've only ever known it to happen because as the door handle extends (which happens when you put it in park), it triggers the sensor that's used in detecting a pull so the car thinks someone's pulling on the handle. Interesting though that it's not happening at other times (I'm assuming) -- e.g. unlocking the car.

OK , I went to Tesla Service Queens and they changed the insides of the front passenger door handle. So the handle doesn't open when I put in park. It took them like 4 hours , fixing it then a test drive, it took the whole day 9-5.