Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cooling pumps B now C

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The SC called and replaced all three coolant pumps. MS P85 was running fine. I had version B pumps and now have version C.

The Ranger was great!

b to C.JPG

I posted this B to C for information only. MS runs the same before as after the coolant pump replacement. I waited weeks to get it done so that my favorite Ranger would be available to do it. There was no urgency, no hurry and no worry.

Just got my vehicle back from having the same pump upgrades. I noticed a new "fireman" tag was placed in the joint/crack on the passenger side. I tried to pull it out, but it seems rather secure. Almost like, pull in case of emergency. I'm at work, so I'll take a look later.

With the recent things going on, I wonder if these pumps are able to keep a fire under control or prevent a fire due to puncture. In all accounts I've read, there was a few to several minutes after the puncture before the fire started. Perhaps the new pumps can spring into action once a puncture is detected, rapidly cool the battery, and hopefully prevent a fire. Needing to have these installed in all cars with active air suspension would also time out with the next release of software. You may have to have these installed in order to upgrade to version 6.

All speculation of course.

Wow that's a lot of speculation....

My car, a Nov 2012, has had a fireman tag on the passenger side since it was new. It connects to a loop wire that the firemen can cut which disables the HV system.

Peter

Just got my vehicle back from having the same pump upgrades. I noticed a new "fireman" tag was placed in the joint/crack on the passenger side. I tried to pull it out, but it seems rather secure. Almost like, pull in case of emergency. I'm at work, so I'll take a look later.

With the recent things going on, I wonder if these pumps are able to keep a fire under control or prevent a fire due to puncture. In all accounts I've read, there was a few to several minutes after the puncture before the fire started. Perhaps the new pumps can spring into action once a puncture is detected, rapidly cool the battery, and hopefully prevent a fire. Needing to have these installed in all cars with active air suspension would also time out with the next release of software. You may have to have these installed in order to upgrade to version 6.

All speculation of course.

The tag has always been there. My Ranger just repositioned it when he replaced the coolant pumps to allow it to be more visible.

Lol, I was thinking outside the box a little. I asked a couple people why these needed to be changed and still haven't got a straight answer. Just that the new ones are better. Not complaining, but its odd for a company to simply upgrade you because "the new one is better".

I have never seen the fireman tag on mine before. It must have been tucked under and they pulled it out during this service.

I have never seen the fireman tag on mine before. It must have been tucked under and they pulled it out during this service.

@phatboyslim, yes, mine was not visible after delivery but every other service they either pull it out or push it back in, depending on how they reassemble the plastic cover.

Now as for speculation: have you done any 120kW supercharging recently? In other threads this has been linked to extra load on the battery conditioning system with data being sent back to Tesla (via NSA), triggering a coolant pump upgrade ...