Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took delivery of my P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Incredible. My Porsche 911 is for sale :) Here's what I ordered:

Blue/Tan P85+ with everything except jump seats, cold weather package, paint armor, ambient lighting and alcantara. I love all of the obvious things about this car (look, power, ride, tech) but here are my gripes, ranked:

- seating position. I am going NUTS trying to find a seating position I'm comfortable with. It just feels foreign to me. Didn't feel this way during test drives. I've probably tried 8 different combinations and am not settled in yet.

- I can't quite get some of the key fob related stuff right. Probably a function of not investing the time in reading the owners manual. Feels like auto presentment is buggy, the charge port doesn't always open on cue, and generally I feel like I've got some work to do to optimize how I get in and out of this thing.

- 5.8: I complained about being disappointed with the recent changes prior to taking delivery. Truth is, I made too big of a deal out of it but it doesn't really detract from my enjoyment of the car. I would, however, greatly appreciate full control of the lowering 'program' if I had it my way :)

- car cleanliness/detail at delivery was average for a 130k car.

Finally, I've been using a 110v in my condo in SF. It's been painful but I'm making it work!

arazusa2.jpg

Congratulations.

I was wondering if you would get over your 5.8 lowering gripes; I'm sure it'll be sorted with the next update.

I had the same problem with seating position when I got my '09 750 Li, just couldn't get comfortable for a few days. The problem went away until the next time the seat was moved and then began all over again. Make sure to use the seat memory when you finally feel comfortable.

Congrats on your new car.

P85+ is a great road car, hope you are able to schedule a quick or even an extended road trip soon to experience the greatness.

There are a lot of adjustments for the seat back (round knob on side of seat), lumbar can be moved up or down, and in multiple positions.
Some people need firmer lower back, some higher.
Try playing with it a bit to suit your preferences and save the settings.
Tilting the front of the seat up can also assist if you are tall.
Adjust your steering wheel to conform to your seating position.

Re-adjust your mirrors after finding your seating sweet-spot.
Reverse position for side mirrors (tilting down) can also be adjusted and saved to best suit your preference.

110 V can work for in-town travel, but will not be adequate if you drive more than 70-75 miles every day.
The good news is you are in the land of Superchargers, lots of them are already available and more are on the way.
Should you decide to take a real trek, a full charge via Supercharger is not that far away.

I was notified of a new firmware update this morning, so maybe the next version will move back toward the original capability for lowering the settings.
I will find out full ramifications of the update in the morning.

Thanks Ames. Yes I really hope I can find a comfortable position soon. It's a bit disconcerting to be adjusting multiple times during each drive :)

Congrats on the delivery! You will love driving the car the more you drive it. Regarding the seat position, I also had a difficult time finding a good seating position. Keep adjusting all the various things you can adjust and experiment especially with the height of the seat. I found that because the battery pack takes out a couple inches of depth in the footwells, it was difficult for me to get a good position because of how my legs are positioned on my body frame. Also another strange thing for my body shape that I found was the seatbelt latch (on the right side of the drivers seat) would hit me at a funny angle and cause me some discomfort that I attributed to the seat position for the longest time. What I found helped me was to loosen the lap portion of the seatbelt just a bit so the seatbelt latch wasn't digging into my hip and side as much.

Keep at it, you will eventually find the right position. Don't be afraid to keep saving the seat position to memory as you find more comfortable positions.

Incredible. My Porsche 911 is for sale :) Here's what I ordered:

Blue/Tan P85+ with everything except jump seats, cold weather package, paint armor, ambient lighting and alcantara. I love all of the obvious things about this car (look, power, ride, tech) but here are my gripes, ranked:

- seating position. I am going NUTS trying to find a seating position I'm comfortable with. It just feels foreign to me. Didn't feel this way during test drives. I've probably tried 8 different combinations and am not settled in yet.

- I can't quite get some of the key fob related stuff right. Probably a function of not investing the time in reading the owners manual. Feels like auto presentment is buggy, the charge port doesn't always open on cue, and generally I feel like I've got some work to do to optimize how I get in and out of this thing.

- 5.8: I complained about being disappointed with the recent changes prior to taking delivery. Truth is, I made too big of a deal out of it but it doesn't really detract from my enjoyment of the car. I would, however, greatly appreciate full control of the lowering 'program' if I had it my way :)

- car cleanliness/detail at delivery was average for a 130k car.

Finally, I've been using a 110v in my condo in SF. It's been painful but I'm making it work!

arazusa2.jpg

Congratulations on the new purchase. 110v definitely is insufficient. Perhaps they will let you install a 220? Though in San Francisco, there's plenty of Blink and Chargepoint sites. Enjoy!

Nice picture. I really love how the blue looks black until you get it in bright sunlight.

Is your condo not allowing you to put in a 220v? Or is it that you have an installation pending and just don't have it yet?

In my recent trip to San Francisco, I probably came off as a nut job to my friends when I would point out every Model S I saw.

Congratulations.

@grendal,

My condo situation is a bit complicated. Our HOA doesn't own/control the garage we park in. So I'm working with the garage owners to try to get a 220v outlet installed. As it stands, they're gouging me at the rate of $400 per mo to use a spot with a 110v outlet (they pay for electricity). At some point in the not too distant future, we are buying a house so longer term the problem will be solved.

re: the blue color, I think it looks great but at times see white and MC red teslas that make me second guess my decision. Just how my brain works :)

Thanks Ames. Yes I really hope I can find a comfortable position soon. It's a bit disconcerting to be adjusting multiple times during each drive :)

The seats are just not as comfortable and supportive of similar cars in the price range. We really need a sports seat option with side bolsters. I don't have any suggestions on how to make you more comfortable while driving, but you mentioned getting in/out of the car. Someone else came up with this idea, but I stole it and it's been working well: Create an "exit" driver profile that has the steering wheel in and up and the seat back. This makes it easier to get in/out.

The seats are just not as comfortable and supportive of similar cars in the price range. We really need a sports seat option with side bolsters. I don't have any suggestions on how to make you more comfortable while driving, but you mentioned getting in/out of the car. Someone else came up with this idea, but I stole it and it's been working well: Create an "exit" driver profile that has the steering wheel in and up and the seat back. This makes it easier to get in/out.

This is a standard feature on my Infiniti - happens automatically when I open the door and or when I stop the car. Driver profile seems like a good alternative but having it happen automatically on entry and exit would be a bit nicer. Not that I'm complaining. Can't wait to change cars.

This is a standard feature on my Infiniti - happens automatically when I open the door and or when I stop the car. Driver profile seems like a good alternative but having it happen automatically on entry and exit would be a bit nicer. Not that I'm complaining. Can't wait to change cars.

I've had other cars that did this as well, and I was going to suggest it as a feature. Are you sure the infinity does it when you open the door? My prior cars did it when you turned off the ignition, and there isn't a similar equivalent on the MS. Opening the door might work..

I've had other cars that did this as well, and I was going to suggest it as a feature. Are you sure the infinity does it when you open the door? My prior cars did it when you turned off the ignition, and there isn't a similar equivalent on the MS. Opening the door might work..

I believe it is triggered by turning the engine on/off. Nice feature.

I was notified of a new firmware update this morning, so maybe the next version will move back toward the original capability for lowering the settings.
I will find out full ramifications of the update in the morning.

New firmware 5.8 was installed in my car last night.

Okay, went for a little test drive on the freeway this evening, and even though the car did not immediately reset to "low" above 55 MPH, I could manually push the setting button and lower the car will driving above 55 9needs to be driving about 55 mph for 30 plus seconds).
The car did not reset itself as I came off the freeway, it stayed lowered (it will raise back up after another period of time).
I pushed button back to standard height.

I tried to set the setting to lower while driving around 25 MPH, it momentarily did, then beeped, then reset itself back to standard height.

Just found out that the new 1.49.30 update contains an updated manual section about the "Active Height Suspension" that is now called "Smart Air Suspension".

They removed the now "obsolete" info about height based changes relative to driving speed.

Screenshot from 5.8 1.49.25
View attachment 38374

Screenshots from 5.8 1.49.30
View attachment 38375

View attachment 38376

One less thing for the OP to worry about....

Last edited:

you're right (and Audsma). When you turn off the car it opens up the space and stays that way until next you turn it on.

Still seems like an odd raising/lowering program to me. Curious as to what Tesla's internal memos say about this latest change.

Another thing I noticed at some point yesterday is that my rated range at full charge was 234 (was 235 just couple hundred miles ago) and then a few hours later the range was 231 but car was still 'fully charged' according to the mobile app. Not sure how that happened.

Still seems like an odd raising/lowering program to me. Curious as to what Tesla's internal memos say about this latest change.

Another thing I noticed at some point yesterday is that my rated range at full charge was 234 (was 235 just couple hundred miles ago) and then a few hours later the range was 231 but car was still 'fully charged' according to the mobile app. Not sure how that happened.

Just enjoy learning about your car, and not worry about insignificant details.
Lots to learn about this wonderfully smart vehicle, I have already concluded it is much smarter than I am.