Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I realize road trip reports and videos are a dime a dozen these days, but I thought this trip might still be interesting to some since:

1. We will be doing the trip in a 60.
2. It is winter.
3. We will be using a small but significant part of the superchargers built for Elon's cross-country trip.

Since I am not much of an essayist, I will rather post updates to this thread as we progress. The focus of the postings will be on data (energy use, range, temperature, wind, etc.) rather than drama (which has been adequately covered by the likes of David Noland).

Instead of complaining that Tesla did not complete the Eau Claire, Onalaska, Madison, Chicago and Maumee superchargers "on time", I will be thankful that we get to use the Mauston, Rockford, Mishawaka and Angola superchargers.

The current state of charging infrastructure makes a long distance trip almost exactly like flying a plane. I am therefore approaching the planning of the trip in the same way as planning a multi-stop flight.

Over the past month I have refined our flight- er drive plan as superchargers have come on line and as I have completed the performance table for the Model S (based on test drives up and down I-35 in various temperatures). The performance table shows energy consumption as a function of air speed and temperature, similar to an airplane performance table that shows fuel consumption as a function of air speed and altitude.

Since this weekend I have been watching the weather closely as there is a significant precipitation event setting up over eastern North America that could affect us on Sunday. Successive runs of the GFS model have pushed this event further north and/or widened the precip area. With some luck it may turn out to be mostly rain, but if not, we may have to wait it out in Chicago.

Are you going to post your speed/temp power consumption tables? I wonder how much difference the loaded weight of the car makes. Probably not much for long distance steady speed driving. Looking forward to your writing!

With the Highland Park, IL store/service center opening up on Friday, you may get to use their set of 4 superchargers if they open at the same time the store does!

I was told by the person who knows that it won't be ready. But, I will go check it out if I can. I think my wife wants to do things other than visiting every Tesla store, service center and supercharger on the way... :)

@elecblue and @mnx, thank you for your support.

So looks like my 187 Wh/km (301 Wh/mi) estimate was just a bit optimistic. My testing was done with an empty car and on sunny days. Today was decidedly not sunny, and my wife made sure that the car was not empty.

But, still came in at 190 Wh/km (306 Wh/mi) for the leg at our target speed of 90 km/h (56 mph). So, no stop required at Thxdude.

The cabin remained comfortable and we had no window fogging.

Staying over at the Franklin Victorian B&B. It is really nice.

vusu6ype.jpg

suruve3u.jpg

pe7u9era.jpg

J, what's with the metric love? Are you a Canadian expat?

No, South African. But even if I was born and raised in the US I would still use SI units - it is the international standard after all.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_System_of_Units

So, with the surprise opening of the Highland Park supercharger yesterday, I tweaked our route to make this an all supercharger day, with stops in Mauston, Rockford, and Highland Park. Mauston to Rockford is the only leg that requires some thought - targeting 110 km/h for an expected 200 Wh/km.

Weather looks a little more challenging than expected with ice and freezing rain.

Ok J.. as a fellow MN owner, I am very interested in your posts.. some questions for you... I am always pushing 425+kw/mi ... how are you getting yours so low?? Is you cabin heater set to 17.5c while driving? What is the fan level and vent settings? I am assuming you used cruise control for the 56mi/hour? .. Sorry for the list of questions, just cant figure out how you are keeping you kw so low (I barely get to 309 in the summer!).

Ok J.. as a fellow MN owner, I am very interested in your posts.. some questions for you... I am always pushing 425+kw/mi ... how are you getting yours so low?? Is you cabin heater set to 17.5c while driving? What is the fan level and vent settings? I am assuming you used cruise control for the 56mi/hour? .. Sorry for the list of questions, just cant figure out how you are keeping you kw so low (I barely get to 309 in the summer!).

Rekoh, don't forget he's doing kwh/km not kwh/mi. So, his 190 kwh/km is about 304 kwh/mi. That means he's just driving 55 mph in cold weather. J.. if you can pull off 175 wh/km, I think then you will be impressing me with your stoicism. However, since your wife is with you, I do not recommend such stunts!
Congratulations on your energy consumption rate. What was your route to Sparta? So weird seeing a photo of a white Model S at that J-1772 that is someone else's!

Highland Park was a welcome surprise, I'm very excited for you!

I am always pushing 425+kw/mi ... how are you getting yours so low??

Driving long distances non-stop on flat roads with cruise control and no wind or tail winds is the secret. Using the climate control eco setting (aka range mode) also sets an upper limit (3 kW) on the power used for heating when it is cold (< -10 C / 14 F). The Model S 60 is also more efficient than the 85 ( don't know which one you have).

See pic below for climate control settings. This is comfortable with a jacket on ( no gloves or hat) and keeps the windows clear.