Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hot Weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,

In doing what research I could, I noticed that Tesla has a spot on their FAQ about how the battery systems handle cold weather. What I'm curious about, however, is how their system handles being in extreme heat.

The issue is that my wife and I are planning on moving our family from Los Angeles to Scottsdale, AZ sometime in 2010, and I'm concerned that the summer heat of Arizona wouldn't be a good thing for the power system.

I called the Tesla store in Los Angeles and talked with one of the sales folks who said that it wouldn't be a problem, as the cabin cooling system also is in charge of cooling the battery cage, with the only side effect being a slightly lower available distance per charge (because the A/C is working so hard), but I'm not sure if that's the truth truth, or salesman truth.

Does anyone have insight into how the Roadster handles high temperatures?

Ryan

I think average higher temperatures are known to be not good for the batteries, but I think it is true that the Roadster cooling system works to keep the pack in a "happier place". The net result is probably that you use a little extra energy to keep the cooling system working.

My mildly-educated guess is that it could easily run into a significant amount of extra energy to keep the batteries happy. I would think that the cooling system would have to be active quite a bit even when the car is parked in the heat. There are few things I like less than using energy to go nowhere.

I would definitely want to get a more definitive answer than "it won't be a problem." Can we quantify "problem" please!

Hm. A portable PV Canopy.

Design criteria:

1) Folds and fits into the Roadster boot.
2) Doesn't blow away.
3) Doesn't mar the paint.
Other considerations? Cost? We're selling to Tesla Roadster owners, here. Easy to set up?

You'd park a bit back from where you really want the car, set up the canopy, and roll the Roadster forward onto the feet. Then plug it in.

{Tongue FIRMLY in Cheek}

OK. I've done the hard, executive part. Now we just need some mechanical and electrical engineers to put in the finishing touches.

Why not a (lockable) car cover?
14526_lg.jpg
Like this scaled up.

Simple. Elegant. Much better than my concept.

I hated folding mine. I only used it when I left the car at the airport.

How would it plug into the charging port? Are we asking Tesla for an APU port? Would a third-party mod void the warranty?

Last edited:
I noticed a little warning sticker inside the door jam of VP24. It said something about exposing the batteries of temperatures in excess of... I forget. It might have said 115 degF, affecting their lifetime. Shoulda snapped a photo.

I noticed a little warning sticker inside the door jam of VP24. It said something about exposing the batteries of temperatures in excess of... I forget. It might have said 115 degF, affecting their lifetime. Shoulda snapped a photo.

Interesting. Here's hoping that I don't have to restrict my driving my Model S to nighttime only in the Arizona summers.

Well, I put in my order today at the Los Angeles store. I asked the sales person specifically about the Arizona heat, she told me that it wouldn't be a problem, but that it may slightly reduce my range, but will not affect battery life.

When I asked her about yearly maintenance, and if there would be a store in Arizona in the future, she said that a colleague of hers was in Scottsdale last week, and they expect to have a store there in 2010, since there are quite a few Roadster users there, as well as Model S interest.

I guess if they're looking to sell there, they must not be too worried about the heat....

:)