Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - St Augustine, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
170 miles between Savanah Supercharger and st Augustine SC

A few weekends ago, I traveled from Cary NC to Glen Allen SC (178 miles) and didn't make it due to uphills ride and I even turned off the heat and drove <70 miles/hr with cruise control. I doubt I'll make it to St. Augustine from Savannah SC. I don't understand why they keep building the SCs so far apart for S60.

A few weekends ago, I traveled from Cary NC to Glen Allen SC (178 miles) and didn't make it due to uphills ride and I even turned off the heat and drove <70 miles/hr with cruise control. I doubt I'll make it to St. Augustine from Savannah SC. I don't understand why they keep building the SCs so far apart for S60.

The road between Savannah and St Augustine is relatively flat and slightly downhill. Assuming good weather, this should be close to ideal.

Yeah, I suspect that rather than delay the supercharger in that area even further, they decided to go ahead with St. Augustine so that 85kWh owners can make it on Superchargers alone in the near future. Then they figure that they will add another one north of Jacksonville when they can do it to backfill for 60kWh owners.

Of course, downhill in one direction is uphill in the other. :smile:

Robert B., whoever you are on Plugshare with the Model S HPWC, you might want to get prepared to receive S60's that aren't quite making it (he's ~10 miles closer). There are also some J1772's around Jacksonville, or just north of it.

I'm surprised that Tesla couldn't find anything suitable around River City Marketplace or on the other side of the intersection. I personally wanted something less congested and was thinking something along the Buccaneer Trail intersection, but it does appear that all the establishments around there have very small parking lots. Comfort Inn in Yulee seems about perfect, but both that and the Holiday Inn Express don't exactly have an abundance of parking. The Pecan Park Road intersection doesn't look all that appealing - unless you really want to visit the Pecan Park Flea & Farmer's Market.

There is a RV park there: Jacksonville Florida RV Park | Pecan Park RV Resort
They said they'd charge $15 to charge for an hour (something about late check in, probably a half day charge). That's absurd, but I think they've just not had people call and ask. They said they have 20, 30, and 50 amp service, but the woman doesn't know anything about 14-50. If we were still going to FL over this winter break, I'd volunteer to swing by and have a conversation about it. But alas, we are not.

Had to do some shopping this afternoon so decided to kill two birds with one stone by going to the St. Augustine Premium Outlet Mall and then checking for the supercharger status. The pictures speak for themselves. I-95 at exit 318 is sandwiched by two outlet malls. This is the mall on the west side of the highway. It is like a large glorified strip mall. There is a food court in the middle and opposite the food court entrance is a rectangular building with its own shops. The SC site is on the south side of this rectangular building.
Picture 1= close view of site from the I-95 side
Picture 2= distant view from the I-95 side
Picture 3= view of the site on the other side of the electrical box/panel showing adequate space for more chargers if needed/planned
Picture 4= close view of chargers looking towards the highway. Note the empty space for more possible chargers on the near side
Picture 5= view of the site from the mall (near the food court entrance). My car is the white one with its butt sticking out (didn't want to scratch the front bumper).
If someone out there knows how to mark maps and attach them to a post, that would make this set-up clearer. Thanks.
Enjoy!! :smile:
StASC2.jpg
StASC1.jpg
StASC3.jpg
StASC4.jpg
StASC5.jpg

Last edited:
Problems:
1) Difficult to get in and out of the Outlet Center with traffic in and out the parking lot from the southern entrance (closest to I-95). Alternative that is never busy use the north entrance 1/2 mile north on FL 16 West.
2) Prime parking location behind Eddie Bauer and Gap. May be a problem with ICEing.
Why St. Augustine? It's too close to Port Orange and too far to Savannah. Problems with JEA in Jacksonville versus FP&L in St. Augustine?

If someone out there knows how to mark maps and attach them to a post, that would make this set-up clearer. Thanks.
Enjoy!! :smile:

Hi Archie,

Thanks very much.

Here's my attempt at marking a Google map. Please let me know if this is correct.

St. Augustine Supercharger.jpg

The rectangular building houses the Gap Factory Store. The food court is in the lower left corner.

Larry

Hi Archie,

Thanks very much.

Here's my attempt at marking a Google map. Please let me know if this is correct.

View attachment 38449

The rectangular building houses the Gap Factory Store. The food court is in the lower left corner.

Larry

You're right on the money! Thanks Larry.

- - - Updated - - -

Problems:
1) Difficult to get in and out of the Outlet Center with traffic in and out the parking lot from the southern entrance (closest to I-95). Alternative that is never busy use the north entrance 1/2 mile north on FL 16 West.

Agreed. Go past the main entrance (south end of mall) 2000 ft. to the north end entrance which is also the delivery truck entrance, then around the north end of the mall building and down the peripheral mall road to the site.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll be driving by this location on the 27th of December. I will stop by and see if anything is happening.

Maybe a photo update? Thanks.

Just went by the St. Augustine SuperCharger site today (Christmas). 6 stations complete with only Transformer / Inverters fencing, parking stripes, and signage to be completed. Looks like a good possibility to be finished on line the week after Jan. 1.

Just went by the St. Augustine SuperCharger site today (Christmas). 6 stations complete with only Transformer / Inverters fencing, parking stripes, and signage to be completed. Looks like a good possibility to be finished on line the week after Jan. 1.

Thanks for the verbal description of status of St. Augustine.
Any pics you could post of current status would be greatly appreciated.

The list of "Items Yet to be Completed" you described might take several days by themselves: e.g. signage to be completed might entail still digging holes and pouring concrete, or something as simple as adding two screws to fasten the signs.
This is still the middle of the holidays, people have personal plans and commitments and other stuff happens.

In addition to the above list there most certainly are some less obvious activities which still need to occur...
From information gathered reading other threads (see Scoots comments #21 under Supercharger - Santee, SC thread http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/25065-Supercharger-Santee-SC/page3): getting power turned on, fully tested, inspected, green tagged and ready for regular usage should also be taken into consideration.
Tesla has a couple of guys that are traveling around to do the testing and certification on the ESVEs because the units are too new and are not UL rated.

Thanks for the verbal description of status of St. Augustine.
Any pics you could post of current status would be greatly appreciated.

The list of "Items Yet to be Completed" you described might take several days by themselves: e.g. signage to be completed might entail still digging holes and pouring concrete, or something as simple as adding two screws to fasten the signs.
This is still the middle of the holidays, people have personal plans and commitments and other stuff happens.

In addition to the above list there most certainly are some less obvious activities which still need to occur...
From information gathered reading other threads (see Scoots comments #21 under Supercharger - Santee, SC thread http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/25065-Supercharger-Santee-SC/page3): getting power turned on, fully tested, inspected, green tagged and ready for regular usage should also be taken into consideration.
Tesla has a couple of guys that are traveling around to do the testing and certification on the ESVEs because the units are too new and are not UL rated.

Bummer! Missed the opening of the Port Orange SC due to a trip, and it looks like I'll miss the opening of this one due to another trip. :crying: Oh well, I've done what I could.

In St. Augustine now!! Will go by tomorrow to take some photographs to document progress. This is going to be a game changer for my trips to our beach place on Crescent Beach from Atlanta!! I just upgraded my order from a S85 to a P85. It was scheduled to get here in late February. I hope that gets my car here sooner.....