Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Greenwich CT - Merritt Parkway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greenwich, CT - Merritt Parkway North/South Update!

All - I finally decided to swing by the service areas on the Merritt Parkway in Greenwich, CT to check the progress... Unfortunately not much seems to be happening and the Superchargers seem to be about 50% (or more) complete. There are 4 charging bays on each side of the parkway.

Here are some pictures (finally!)....

Merritt Parkway North Service Plaza:
IMG_1761.jpg
IMG_1762.jpg
IMG_1763.jpg
IMG_1764.jpg

Merritt Parkway South Service Plaza:
IMG_1765.jpg
IMG_1766.jpg

Aaron

We Jersey guys are jealous. I don't get it. 3 SCs in a 10mi radius in lower CT and zip in NJ?

I don't get how you get to three in a 10 mi radius - it's either two (Darien and Greenwich), or four (counting Northbound and Southbound sites for each). Milford is nearly 30 miles from Darien.

That being said, I get your point - CT will soon have three locations operational vs. none in NJ or anywhere else in New England. It appears that CT is much more EV-friendly (and happens to be redoing a number of service areas so the timing worked out), while NJ will not allow a proprietary charger in a public highway rest area.

I don't get how you get to three in a 10 mi radius - it's either two (Darien and Greenwich), or four (counting Northbound and Southbound sites for each). Milford is nearly 30 miles from Darien.

That being said, I get your point - CT will soon have three locations operational vs. none in NJ or anywhere else in New England. It appears that CT is much more EV-friendly (and happens to be redoing a number of service areas so the timing worked out), while NJ will not allow a proprietary charger in a public highway rest area.

Peter

CT is a lot more EV friendly. I spoke with a guy from the CT DOT last spring during the Westport EV Road Rally - and he said CT has welcomed Tesla (and EV's in general) with open arms! The Merritt Parkway (and eventually I684/84 corridor will service people driving down from Boston without having to touch I95.

Also - at Darien South, 2 (!) CHAdeMO stalls have been added right next to the 4 Tesla Stalls.... Clearly CT wants to cater to the EV crowd!

Aaron

Peter

CT is a lot more EV friendly. I spoke with a guy from the CT DOT last spring during the Westport EV Road Rally - and he said CT has welcomed Tesla (and EV's in general) with open arms! The Merritt Parkway (and eventually I684/84 corridor will service people driving down from Boston without having to touch I95.

Also - at Darien South, 2 (!) CHAdeMO stalls have been added right next to the 4 Tesla Stalls.... Clearly CT wants to cater to the EV crowd!

Aaron

add to that the fact that Tesla will be able to actually sell cars out of the Milford SC....Aaron said it, CT is very EV friendly.

The Merritt has always been our choice, for reasons familiar to anyone who's ever driven it.

But now I realize, much as I've been looking forward to the chargers on the Merritt, there really is no place to hang out at those service areas while you're charging. Okay in summer, but for the next trip in February, one is kind of stuck hanging out in the car, which will definitely slow charging if you're trying to stay even a little warm.

I dunno, much as I despise driving on 95, I got used to having a place to be out of the car. We've been taking the Merritt and jumping over to 95 just to charge.

Well, we'll give it a try.

Rest areas are schedule to open this month. Not sure of the status on the superchargers, but the rest areas opening is a good start.
From CT DOT: "We are currently addressing punch-list items and plan toopen the plazas during January of 2014. The NB plaza may open ahead ofthe SB plaza. We wish we could be more specific on the exact dates – but– we do try to open them as quickly as possible once the punch-list items areto an acceptable point."