Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accident this morning. No injuries but painful damage to car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in a fender bender this morning at a four way stop sign. Totally my fault and I feel like an idiot. It was very slow speed so there were no injuries to me or the other driver, but I'm in great pain over the damage to my wonderful car. It appears largely cosmetic but I won't know until the appraiser shows up. I can drive the car just fine but with the front bumper hanging loose that's not a good idea. Looking at the hood it does not appear to align properly so perhaps some damage to the hinges/mounts.

As the accident happened only 1/2 mile from my house I did manage to drive back home, where the wounded car is sitting.

Anyone want to guess at the cost of repairs? I'm figuring $5,000 to $10,000, likely on the high side of the range.

20131216_090530.jpg

20131216_090541.jpg

20131216_090550.jpg

_DSC4269.JPG

_DSC4270.JPG

_DSC4271.JPG

_DSC4278.JPG

_DSC4279.JPG

_DSC4277.JPG

Last edited:
Is your frunk popped? If it isn't then probably close to that $10k number.

Otherwise I think you might be able to get off around $7k. Assuming no major under the bumper damage.

And that is to get back to factory. I have no idea how much all your additions will set you back.

Ouch. I feel for you brother. Will you get the Service center to look at it?

I've been in touch with Service. If there's no structural damage I can have it repaired any place I want. If structural I have to have the work done at a Tesla approved place in Rockville or Annapolis.

The frunk lid is slightly damaged at the lower right end but it works just fine. The guts of the frunk seem ok. The right headlamp cover is cracked. The crash bar behind the nose cone is slightly dented on the right side. Most of my mods survived intact -- radar and laser sensors, lighted T, Oznium controller for the T. My EZPass transponder, which was on the front of the crash bar, is toast.

On the bright side, now I get to see what's behind the bumper:)

I'll take some more photos.

Last edited:
Gah.. I'm sorry to hear what happened, and see the results. I'm glad everyone came out unscathed. I know how much time you've been spending on your car (especially in the area where you've done damage!)

I hope a quick recovery time for you and your car (and your mental distress!)

Anyone want to guess at the cost of repairs? I'm figuring $5,000 to $10,000, likely on the high side of the range.

We had a fender bender to the rear recently. The cost was $6k+ at a Tesla-approved place in Vancouver. In our case the biggest cost was replacement of the whole lift-gate shell, even though it was just dented in several places. That was deemed required not just aesthetically, but because the crash structure inside the gate was damaged. I imagine you will have similar issues. If the steel bumper is considered compromised and could endanger you in a subsequent more violent front-end collision, Tesla will want it replaced.

We had a fender bender to the rear recently. The cost was $6k+ at a Tesla-approved place in Vancouver. In our case the biggest cost was replacement of the whole lift-gate shell, even though it was just dented in several places. That was deemed required not just aesthetically, but because the crash structure inside the gate was damaged. I imagine you will have similar issues. If the steel bumper is considered compromised and could endanger you in a subsequent more violent front-end collision, Tesla will want it replaced.

Thanks. I assume that the crash bar has to be replaced. If the appraiser didn't think so I'd insist on it. Still waiting to hear from the appraiser. While I've been waiting I've taken the opportunity to get all the ducks in a row for the repairs.

I've been in touch with Service. If there's no structural damage I can have it repaired any place I want. If structural I have to have the work done at a Tesla approved place in Rockville or Annapolis.

The frunk lid is slightly damaged at the lower right end but it works just fine. The guts of the frunk seem ok. The right headlamp cover is cracked. The crash bar behind the nose cone is slightly dented on the right side. Most of my mods survived intact -- radar and laser sensors, lighted T, Oznium controller for the T. My EZPass transponder, which was on the front of the crash bar, is toast.

On the bright side, now I get to see what's behind the bumper:)

I'll take some more photos.

My Signature S was hit in the driver quarter panel causing a cut in the aluminum. Final paint matching and repairs were $5,300. I'd say your pushing 10k from the pictures. On the bright side the insurance can only use approved service centers and they do a fantastic job making your Model S beautiful again.

photo 2a.JPG

My Signature S was hit in the driver quarter panel causing a cut in the aluminum. Final paint matching and repairs were $5,300. I'd say your pushing 10k from the pictures. On the bright side the insurance can only use approved service centers and they do a fantastic job making your Model S beautiful again.

View attachment 38296

That's a nasty tear. Was the aluminum panel replaced or repaired?

Rick

SO SORRY this happened - but I'm glad you and the other driver are ok...

Someone backed into my car in a parking lot when it was charging this summer ... I had front hood damage (front lip bent) and hood alignment problems as well as some damage behind the nosecone and a headlight mount broke and the headlight had to be replaced as well as the front lower facia.

Got it repaired by a Tesla Approved body shop near me in Mt. Vernon NY (J&B) and it was $32,000 !!!

My car had less visible damage than yours. I have a feeling it is going to be a lot more expensive that $10k....