Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ideal / Rated / Typical range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I remember that whenever I read the forums people were discussing Ideal and Rated ranges. Now that I have the car the only place I've found that changes the range indicated shows two options: Rated and Typical. It seems the Rated range is based on ~180Wh/km from the line on the energy graph and the Typical is ~205Wh/km. Now either there is still a hidden Ideal setting that I've yet to find or in the EU firmware they've renamed them to Rated and Typical. Can someone care to comment?

I've so far only charged to 90% (the max of daily charging that's indicated in the charging screen) and that nets me 431 km on Rated range. Simple math tells me that range charge should give me 480km of rated range then, which is ~300 miles, but not the NEDC 502km. Haven't checked what the full charge is with typical range, will know tomorrow morning when I take the car from charging as I've now swapped to it.

Seriously, 150 views and no replies? :) I'm guessing the ~380km typical range and 205Wh/km indicate that this might be the US version of rated range and the EU rated range with ~480km is the US ideal range. Can someone confirm what the ideal and rated lines are at in the energy graph? For EU model they are 181Wh/km and 205Wh/km. One has to do the km <-> mile conversion though.

Typical is the wrong word to use for ideal range, which is calculated using optimal assumptions. The word "typical" is better suited to describe "rated" range, as that is more representative of what drivers can expect and is not as optimistic as "ideal".

Well we do have pretty high speed limits here. Maybe it is more typical for Europeans to get close to ideal range because they don't drive much faster than 55mph.

:confused: our speed limit is 130kmh (which is 81mph), and that is in Holland (same in France), in Germany, there is NO! speed limit on some parts of the autobahn (highway).

This means the promised range by Tesla is.... well, way f.. way off. Don't get me wrong, I love the Model S, and I almost never drive more than 200kms (125miles) in one day. But in Europe we typically drive faster, and the range thus gets to the square of x worse, which means I can't do 300kms (187miles) on one charge... which is... unexpected, unfortunately.

:confused: our speed limit is 130kmh (which is 81mph), and that is in Holland (same in France), in Germany, there is NO! speed limit on some parts of the autobahn (highway).

This means the promised range by Tesla is.... well, way f.. way off. Don't get me wrong, I love the Model S, and I almost never drive more than 200kms (125miles) in one day. But in Europe we typically drive faster, and the range thus gets to the square of x worse, which means I can't do 300kms (187miles) on one charge... which is... unexpected, unfortunately.

90% of roads in Estonia are 90km/h or slower. During winter it's 100% of the roads. During the summer only the major highways are upgraded to 110km/h and some sections to 100km/h. Germany is an exception and that's why a denser network of superchargers is created there.

Seriously, 150 views and no replies? :) I'm guessing the ~380km typical range and 205Wh/km indicate that this might be the US version of rated range and the EU rated range with ~480km is the US ideal range. Can someone confirm what the ideal and rated lines are at in the energy graph? For EU model they are 181Wh/km and 205Wh/km. One has to do the km <-> mile conversion though.

I am not sure if this may help, but it might! I will link 2 videos. The first video explains why he uses typical range (He is located in Norway.) The second video explains the difference between rated range and ideal or otherwise known as projected range (He is located in USA.)

I hope this helps!!

(PS the first video is kind of long haha..)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP3eYM5_HY0

Video two: Skip to 1:20 of the video and you will hear him discuss why he switched to projected range rather than rated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE5Lg_YLqwc

(video three goes hand-in-hand with video 2.)
Start at 2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ2H3tzbSO4

(Sorry if this does not help..)

In Japan ours is also similar to EU version. I was really confused because I learn about Model S in this forum based on US version.

Basically Japanese cars have Rated and Typical. Rated seems to be based on 156Wh/km (250Wh/mile), and Typical seems to be based on 187.5Wh/km (300Wh/mile).

Japan Rated Typical
US Ideal Rated

so it is very confusing!! I also find it very interesting that Mario's Rated is not the same as our Rated...

Quote from EU manual:

• Rated - based on ECE R101 testing.
• Typical - based on US EPA testing.

So EU Typical should be the same as US Rated (Rated means rated based on standards on that region). What I'm wondering is how US fellows seem to get about 265 miles rated as new in their S85. That is 426,5km. I have never heard anyone getting that much Typical kilometers in EU. Everyone usually gets about 400km. I haven't charged to 100% yet but calculating from my best 90% result (358km) I would get 398km with 100% charge.

Any ideas why there seems to be a difference between US rated and EU typical?

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
So EU Typical should be the same as US Rated ({1} Rated means rated based on standards on that region). What I'm wondering is how {2} US fellows seem to get about 265 miles rated as new in their S85.
{1} The EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) has devised some formal testing to come up with a rating to compare vehicles against each other. "Rated" is aligned with that testing.
{2} Drivers in the United States experience a variety of terrain and climate, have varying driving styles, and varying distances they travel. As such there is significant variation; the phrase "your mileage may vary" (YMMV) relates to this reality. Owners in flat, warm regions tend to have better range results than those in cold, rainy, mountainous regions. This is as you might expect.

What you'll find is that {2} and {1} are "loosely correlated" across the U.S. I'm not sure which regions of the U.S. that "average EU" is most like.

Hope this helps.

The EU Typical is based on 200Wh/km, which comes to 320Wh/mile and is 6.7% above the US rated 300Wh/km number, which is in fact exactly 426.5 / 400. So it's not exactly the US EPA number, it's 6.7% more or well it's hard to tell what they refer.

OK that would explain it (btw. it should be 300Wh/mile). Bjørn has different experience: "My own calculations show that it's 187 Wh/km on my car. And on the S60 loaner I calculated about 205 Wh/km."

Tesla Model S typical range calculation - YouTube

Well first of all on the energy usage screen the typical usage line is at 200Wh/km and if your average is at 200 it will predict the same range as the dash predicts. Now the fact that at 200Wh/km you CANNOT actually make that range is mostly due to the fact that it looks to me that the extra consumption beyond driving is NOT shown and recorded in the usage. Therefore slower driving will net less used kWh per full battery usage while faster driving will net more kWh because of climate etc that is not accounted in the kWh in the trip meter. In any case it is confusing and changes with software versions (I've been able to use 80kWh with a full charge in January 2014, but it's hard to get more than 75-77kWh these days and the difference could easily be climate usage).