Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ideal / Rated / Typical range

Quote Originally Posted by huntjo View Post
    Well we do have pretty high speed limits here. Maybe it is more typical for Europeans to get close to ideal range because they don't drive much faster than 55mph.
    our speed limit is 130kmh (which is 81mph), and that is in Holland (same in France), in Germany, there is NO! speed limit on some parts of the autobahn (highway).

This means the promised range by Tesla is.... well, way f.. way off. Don't get me wrong, I love the Model S, and I almost never drive more than 200kms (125miles) in one day. But in Europe we typically drive faster, and the range thus gets to the square of x worse, which means I can't do 300kms (187miles) on one charge... which is... unexpected, unfortunately.
    Tesla Model S P85+ '13 - Dodge RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi '11 - Yamaha R1 '06 - Yamaha R1 '99

Quote Originally Posted by Highkick View Post
    our speed limit is 130kmh (which is 81mph), and that is in Holland (same in France), in Germany, there is NO! speed limit on some parts of the autobahn (highway).

This means the promised range by Tesla is.... well, way f.. way off. Don't get me wrong, I love the Model S, and I almost never drive more than 200kms (125miles) in one day. But in Europe we typically drive faster, and the range thus gets to the square of x worse, which means I can't do 300kms (187miles) on one charge... which is... unexpected, unfortunately.
    90% of roads in Estonia are 90km/h or slower. During winter it's 100% of the roads. During the summer only the major highways are upgraded to 110km/h and some sections to 100km/h. Germany is an exception and that's why a denser network of superchargers is created there.
    P85 | Black w/Piano black Leather and CF interior | Air | Tech | Parking Sensors | Lighting | Security | Cold weather | 21" |
    VIN: 17798, took over an order from someone who ordered in 2012. My original VIN 25252 was cancelled.

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario Kadastik View Post
    Seriously, 150 views and no replies? I'm guessing the ~380km typical range and 205Wh/km indicate that this might be the US version of rated range and the EU rated range with ~480km is the US ideal range. Can someone confirm what the ideal and rated lines are at in the energy graph? For EU model they are 181Wh/km and 205Wh/km. One has to do the km <-> mile conversion though.
    I am not sure if this may help, but it might! I will link 2 videos. The first video explains why he uses typical range (He is located in Norway.) The second video explains the difference between rated range and ideal or otherwise known as projected range (He is located in USA.)

I hope this helps!!

(PS the first video is kind of long haha..)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP3eYM5_HY0

Video two: Skip to 1:20 of the video and you will hear him discuss why he switched to projected range rather than rated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE5Lg_YLqwc

(video three goes hand-in-hand with video 2.)
    Start at 2.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ2H3tzbSO4

(Sorry if this does not help..)

Thread Information