Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Detroit Electric

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
Detroit Electric resurrected as $25,000 electric car | Green Tech - CNET News

A_stylish_yet_sporty_Pure_Electric_Vehicle_with_a_range_of_320km_%28198_miles%29_and_a_top_speed_of_180kmph_%28112mph%29_610x362.jpg

detroit-electric-savvy-and-team.jpg

610x.jpg

Detroit_Electric_Lotus.jpg

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/0...s-dutch-with-europe-electric-cars-and-proton/

Old "Detroit Electric" thread had been merged here:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/electric-cars/1292-converted-lotus-elises.html

Last edited:
There's obviously a misquote in the article. At the beginning of the article, it says "according to its CEO Albert Lam the company plans to get its all-electric cars into mass production soon, and on the market by February next year. "

NEXT year, not two months ago (Feb 2009), as in the line noted above. In any event, believe it when you see it.

For a car that's supposed to be in production next year, there's surprisingly little information. I'm impatient for the next update on their progress. If they really meet their expected timetable without compromising the specs on the car at that price it would be incredible. (besides, it doesn't look ugly like the Coda - the grille makes the difference!) LOL

image-top.jpg

Hmm, first time I'm hearing of this. From the Press Release:

A site has also been identified to assemble the first ever pure electric sports car in Michigan, with production to start in August. The dedicated production facility will have an annual capacity of 2,500 sports cars. Detroit Electric aims to create over 180 sales and manufacturing-related jobs over the next 12 months.

Following five years of relentless research and engineering development, the first model to carry the renowned Detroit Electric logo will be a limited-edition two-seat sports car. Certain to quicken pulses thanks to its bold styling, outstanding performance, exhilarating handling characteristics and impressive range, this new sports car will be launched early next month in Detroit, ahead of a global public reveal at the Shanghai Motor Show on 20 April. The show will also provide the platform for Detroit Electric to share an exciting announcement about a major partnership with a global carmaker. Full details will be announced on the first press day of the show.

Diverse family of high-performance electric vehicles to follow

I'd like to find out more about the car. They're behind Tesla, but if they take things seriously they might be able to catch up and competition is good for the consumers.

As an aside, the "20 April" thing is typically a European way of saying dates, but they're an American company?

Wow, I even posted in that thread and don't remember them... But that thread explains some things...

That would explain the "20 April" thing, and the odd choice of words when they wanted to hammer in they were "detroit" and not American.

It also offers some laughs:

Hmm, first time I'm hearing of this.

You are kidding, right? That the company that sold 270,000 EV in 2012! Almost. Ok, closer to 0, but at least they had a plan to sell 270,000 EVs in 2012. My guess would be that they just temporarily behind the schedule...

if they take things seriously
I'm more then sure they are take things seriously! Like 270,000 EV in 2012 is no joke!

As an aside, the "20 April" thing is typically a European way of saying dates
You nailed it! They started as Dutch group converting Elise. Then they moved into UK and wanted Lotus to assemble cars for them. Then they got into co-development thing with Dongfeng Motor.

but they're an American company?
Ofcourse they are! You probably were playing poker at the back during geography classes - you should use Google Maps to figure out on what continent Detroit is located...
Sure, most likely money comes from China, you know Dongfeng Motor, definitely qualify as QUOTE from press release: "global carmaker". No doubt, and place of car revealing, Shanghai Motor Show also suggests that. But who cares about such nuances. Pure technicality.

PS. Umm, "carmaker" is very American word too, am I correct?