Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiper Blades Icing Up - Even with Subzero Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my MS for less than a month and we got our first snowfall. Decided to take it out for a drive in the snow and found that my wiper blades ice up something awful.
This occurs even with Front Defroster on high and heated wipers turned on.

This problem appears to be attributed to the wiper blade design

Anyone else having this issue?

I was regretting not having an opportunity to buy the sub-zero package as my wipers were also icing up. Now, maybe, I don't feel so bad. Here's hoping you can find a solution (and a de-icing solution may be it).

Last edited:
I don't have the subzero package -- got mine before this option was available.

Icing last winter was occasionally a problem, and it is a little less of one now. I pack in a garage most of the time, but when I park outside, I leave the wipers in service mode and always preheat the cabin 20-30 minutes before departure. Usually helps with the icing on the wipers. But, I'll admit, I still have the issue. It's not terrible.

Gtechniq G1 has helped a bit with the accumulation -- wipes more easily.

I don't have the subzero package -- got mine before this option was available.

Icing last winter was occasionally a problem, and it is a little less of one now. I pack in a garage most of the time, but when I park outside, I leave the wipers in service mode and always preheat the cabin 20-30 minutes before departure. Usually helps with the icing on the wipers. But, I'll admit, I still have the issue. It's not terrible.

Gtechniq G1 has helped a bit with the accumulation -- wipes more easily.

I had the car treated with OptiCoat Pro. Good points on the service mode and preheating. That's what I had done several times yesterday. I think the challenge comes in the design of where the wipers actually sit. There is no good way to clean out the snow and ice that accumulates down there and the wiper heaters may heat the trapped snow/ice just enough for it to adhere to what may already exist on the wipers blades.

I will have the car checked out by service to ensure there isn't something that has been missed or not working…. will let you know

Had my MS for less than a month and we got our first snowfall. Decided to take it out for a drive in the snow and found that my wiper blades ice up something awful.
This occurs even with Front Defroster on high and heated wipers.

I was wondering if the cold weather package, specifically "heated wipers" was worth the extra bucks. It appears the cold weather package best feature is extending heated seats to the rear. If that is something you need, it's worth every penny. I've had multiple German vehicles and none offered heated wipers in any cold weather package, now I know why.

But, I wish the Tesla cold weather package included a heated steering wheel!

I was wondering if the cold weather package, specifically "heated wipers" was worth the extra bucks.

The heated seats are worth it. I have 3 kids and they all enjoy the (almost instant) heated seats and it's really efficient to heat the seats vs heating the cabin. I also saw benefit to the heated nozzles as well.....
Subzero package is still worth it....

Just questioning if the heated wipers are working correctly. My thought is that the engineering on this car is amazing and there must be something occurring that may be negatively impacting the heated wipers

Are you guys sure the "wiper blade defroster" is actually heating the wipers?
The reason I'm asking because I have this on my car which isn't a Tesla but it doesn't heat the wipers, instead it heats the lower part of the windscreen so that the wipers come loose in the morning if there is ice on the windshield.
wiperdeicer5.JPG

Thats how my P85 is. Heating elements in the lower windshield to heat area where wiper blades sit.

The reason I'm asking because I have this on my car which isn't a Tesla but it doesn't heat the wipers, instead it heats the lower part of the windscreen so that the wipers come loose in the morning if there is ice on the windshield.
View attachment 38237

View attachment 38237

Ah, now that makes sense. I was wondering how the blades were heated. It's not the actual blades, just the windscreen section below the blades at rest. Ok, now I'm on board with the cold weather package. But, a heated steering wheel in the cold weather package would make it perfect.

But, I wish the Tesla cold weather package included a heated steering wheel!

This motion has already been seconded. I really hope Tesla is working on this. They have so many projects that they may not be. I hate to spend more than I have ever considered for an automobile and not get this must have EV feature.

Does anyone know if Mercedes cars with the same steering wheel have a heated wheel option?

GSP

This motion has already been seconded. I really hope Tesla is working on this. They have so many projects that they may not be. I hate to spend more than I have ever considered for an automobile and not get this must have EV feature.

Does anyone know if Mercedes cars with the same steering wheel have a heated wheel option?

GSP

YES! MBs have the same exact or what looks like an exact match to the Tesla steering wheel. And, wait for it......it has a heated option.

Last edited:
View attachment 38237

Was at service yesterday and they had to adjust my wipers to sit better on the heated area of the windshield.
I'll let you know if there are any noticeable differences

Can someone post a pic of the heated part of the windscreen where the wipers are heated. Is it a black color and blend in with the windscreen? Is it aesthetically pleasing. I have seen some other cars that have them and they were an orange color.

Can someone post a pic of the heated part of the windscreen where the wipers are heated. Is it a black color and blend in with the windscreen? Is it aesthetically pleasing. I have seen some other cars that have them and they were an orange color.

There is a red Model S with the cold weather package at the Newport Beach, CA store and you can see the orange-ish lines at the lower edge of the windshield. The sales guy and I had a laugh over why a Cold Package car would have been produced for California.

I am driving a loaner right now with it and we have had a huge winter storm. There is so much snow and ice build-up along the bottom of the windshield, and it's so cold, I haven't bothered looking for the heating elements.

I tried it, and can say the it does provide a marginal improvement over my car which doesn't have it. One thing to note is that if you turn it on, it will time out and shut off by itself. In the nasty storm we just had, I would have to remember to check and flip it back on from time to time.

The wiper blades themselves do seem to jam up with ice and snow more than what I'm used to on other cars.

I had a picture of it from a showroom car but must have deleted it off my iPhone. Basically it looks like real thick defroster lines. I thought it look real cool.

All of my recent cars have at least partially hidden wipers except for my truck. Any snow that falls or gets pushed down into the wiper bay by the wipers has no where to go and the defroster doesn't melt it at all.

For me, the problem is that the blades themselves accumulate snow and ice while I'm driving, turning into a couple of popsicles that just smear across the windshield. Sometimes I have to stop and bang them against the glass to knock the ice off them.