Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Distance from Charger to Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK I did know that the actual charger was in the car. What I am wondering is if there is a maximum distance that you can run an extention cord to the car ? I thought I heard something like 20-25 feet for the Roadster. Also, it would have to be something that is rated for OUTDOOR use.

A high quality 12/3 extension cord of 25' or probably even 50' would be fine. The issue will be that the MC120 plug-in head and also the charging cable connector to the car are likely not weather proof.

For one data point... I charge the Rav4EV on the end of 70' of 10/3 regularly. The charger draws 28A (220V). Certainly there is some voltage drop over that length, and the cord does get very mildly warm - and I've never had a problem after doing it for six years.

• Informative
Reactions: CameronB
I regularly charge using a short extension cord to a NEMA 1430
.The key is adequate copper wire diameter. Online sources are available to calculate wire diameter for length. The problem is voltage drop which can be checked. Amazon has a some good 1450 cords