Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Volvo Cars is allegedly releasing a new Plug-In Hybrid XC90 in late 2014.

xc90front.jpg

Image Credit: Volvo Cars

xc90rear.jpg

xc90interface.jpg

xc90controls.jpg

Edit: On closer inspection it appears that the third image is from their Concept Coupé, and not the upcoming new XC90 PHEV...

Sources:

Official: Volvo XC90 Plug-In Hybrid SUV to Launch Globally in Late 2014 | InsideEVs

In this article InsideEVs also claim that Volvo Cars will end production of the Europe only V60 Plug-In Hybrid. I can’t really see what they base that claim on though...

Så här kommer Volvo XC90 att se ut - Och V70/S80 kommer att ersättas av V90/S90 | Feber / Bil

(In Swedish...)

Last edited:
Am drawing this from memory, so grains of salt applies…

As I remember it Volvo Cars will add a plug-in hybrid version to their entire lineup.

The reason why they’re starting with the XC90 is because it’s first in line for a new model update. The current model has been in production ~11 years.

Next in turn will be the replacements for the XC70, S80 and the V70.

Then, it will probably be the XC60’s turn. And shortly thereafter the replacements for the current S60 (The V60 is available as a PHEV. But only in Europe). Around here there might also be a replacement for the C70. That one might be a coupé and/or a convertible. Possibly similar to their latest Concept Coupé.

And finally it will hopefully also end up in the replacement for the current V40.

Last edited:
According to the InsideEVs piece I link to in the OP, the second[SUP]1[/SUP] plug-in hybrid drivetrain they have officially announced – the one in the XC90 Plug-In Hybrid – will launch globally. I could of course be wrong, but I think globally includes the U.S. :wink:

Last edited:
You're right. Apparently they're hinting at something like a late summer 2015 availability for the gas PHEV. Not a diesel unfortunately, but still pretty interesting. This may be a real competitor for the X, assuming it has an all electric range of approx. 30 miles similar to their existing V60 PHEV. If owners made an attempt to plug in at destinations, I'd think there wouldn't really be much more CO2 emissions from the XC90 than the X.

It really depends on how they price it. If it comes in around $50k-$60k, it could be a serious contender. If they take the ELR approach and the starting price is basically the same as the Model X, it doesn't stand a chance. I'd rather see a plug-in XC60 for those who don't need room for 7, but all plug-in crossover options are welcome.

Any news on the price? I know the Outlander PHEV is smaller, but that seems like it will have more appeal, being smaller, more efficient and cheaper.

The Volvo could be interesting in the fact that the most efficient option will also be the most powerful, now the motorheads and the hippies will choose the same model?

I am pretty sure everybody here would rather have an X, but the Volvo makes it seem like a time will come when PHEV's are considered standard, and then EV's taking it another step.

I'm willing to bet it will be substantially cheaper than the X. If you go to the volvo website and select a fully loaded current model XC90 it's about 55k USD....

I'd prefer the X like you mentioned but I could see this easily being 25k cheaper than a a 85kWh Model X. That buys a lot of gas for when you go beyond the ~25 mile range!

Any news on the price? I know the Outlander PHEV is smaller, but that seems like it will have more appeal, being smaller, more efficient and cheaper.

The Volvo could be interesting in the fact that the most efficient option will also be the most powerful, now the motorheads and the hippies will choose the same model?

I am pretty sure everybody here would rather have an X, but the Volvo makes it seem like a time will come when PHEV's are considered standard, and then EV's taking it another step.

I'm surprised no one has posted a thread on it yet. Caught my eye this week. Looks like it would be cross shopped against Model X (at least by those who don't demand a pure EV).

Volvo reveals 400-hp twin-charged PHEV power for new XC90 [UPDATE] - Autoblog

Wonder if it will includ the heads-up display mentioned:
Volvo offers up more details on 2015 XC90 and its new infotainment system - Autoblog
We have more details on the 2015 Volvo XC90 and the all-new, touch-heavy infotainment system that will debut with it. An expansion of the Sensus system, as we've shown you before, we now know the new system won't only sport a large, vertically oriented touchscreen, but a head-up display and the ability to manage the systems via wheel-mounted buttons.

This is interesting car. In Finland we have CO2 based car tax. Bigger tax with bigger emissions. My current car (Audi Q7) has something like 30k€ (Sic!) car tax in its price. Even electric cars pay car tax, but it is miminum 5%.

This Volvo has so small CO2 emissions that car tax prosent will be small 10.6% ( in Finnish standards:crying:). Interesting to see what its price in Finland will be. If it is cheaper than Tesla model S, I have to think hard.