Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Volvo XC90 Plug-In Hybrid

Model X #1417
    Apparently Volvo is going to equip this car with a very sophisticated collision avoidance/ACC system. It will be interesting to see if the X has an equivalent system when it comes out.

For a lot of people, the amount of gasoline used will be pretty small if it actually has a 30 mile all electric range.

Electric mode has only 80hp. So most people will use hybrid mode even on short trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Matias View Post
    Electric mode has only 80hp. So most people will use hybrid mode even on short trips.
    This demonstrates perfectly the difference between PHEVs and EREVs. Even though PHEVs plug in, they are really little more than an improved version of conventional hybrid. They are designed with the intent that you will be switching between gas and electric mode frequently based on your power requirements (i.e. gas to accelerate, electric to cruise), whereas EREVs are built as fully capable electric vehicles with a gas engine solely to boost the battery charge for longer trips. Volvo's split design where the gas engine powers the front wheels and the electric motor powers the rear wheels is a clear indication that they expect the two to work in conjunction with one another, as one cannot fully replace the other and still maintain the same drive characteristics. It's a smart design for greatly increasing the efficiency of gas guzzling AWD SUVs while also boosting performance, but is the wrong approach for someone looking to drive primarily on electric power. Thankfully there's the Model X for that.
    Model X Reservation #10053

You're right. I could live with something like this if it were an EREV, but 80hp kinda sucks for something this size. ~120hp would make it a lot more fun to drive in EV mode. (I find the Model S has decent acceleration @ the 80kW power level...)
    2013 Tesla Model S P85: 12.417 @ 111.570 MPH

Performance 85kWh, custom 19" Forgestar c5fv wheels, white/black/CF, pano,sound,tech,twin chargers!

Quote Originally Posted by mnx View Post
    I wish it had more hp in EV mode. Will definitely be interesting to compare it to Model X as more details come out on both of them. It seems they'll be available at about the same time as well.
    PHEV's make some sense. I was interested when I saw a Volvo S60 plug-in hybrid was shown at the Beijing Auto Show, but I think mnx is hitting on one of the limitations they have, performance while relying solely on the small battery.

Volvo's own press release describes hybrid (not pure EV) as the default mode and this may be because of the performance limitation in EV mode.

from the release:

"Normal driving is conducted in the default hybrid mode. This utilises a two-litre, four-cylinder supercharged and turbocharged Drive-E petrol engine that powers the front wheels and an 80 hp (60 kW) electric motor that drives the rear wheels."

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/08/2015-volvo-xc90-twin-charged-phev-official/
    Any content I post on TMC is for the TMC board exclusively and not to be used outside TMC for any purpose without my written consent.

2008 Roadster, long TSLA

This does look compelling to me, if it has 20 mile range that would be good enough for quite a bit of electric driving to work. I do wish I could buy the euro Diesel + electric drive train, but the US looks like it will only have gas + electric. It is a little underpowered at 80 hp. The porsche hybrid has a ridiculously low mpg.

Another interesting car is the Peugeot 3008 hybrid (diesel + electric drive train, awd capable, all electric capable). Since it's a Peugeot, it's not imported into the US.

The MX may just be too large of a car for me. I guess an ideal car would be a smaller SUV style Model X or 3 with long range and towing capability.

Thread Information