Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maryland Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the other post on this, it looks like it is at the Hagerstown outlets which are right off of I-70 and close to the I-81 intersection. Although I'm not a shopper type myself, it makes sense for the outlets. Come shop and eat while you're charging.

No formal announcement yet, aside from the dot on the "coming soon" map. The dates on the permits (11/15 and 11/25) lead me to believe it should be done by mid-January, allowing for potential holiday and weather delays. That's perfect for me since I think I have to go back to Pittsburgh in late January.

If they started work immediately after the permit was issued, and it typically takes 5 weeks, they'll even be done by the end of the year. I just don't know if they've started or where on the property it's located. I'll ask again (as I did on the other thread) -- any scouts willing to take a look and maybe some photos? I'd love to scout but I don't think I can find 3-5 hours on my own any time soon.

The SuperChargers look to be comming along well, there was a lot of excavation needed for the equipment, but that looks to be almost complete. I also didn't see the SuperCharger hardware on site, but alas they don't have the pads in yet for it to sit on. They are at the back of the lot near the food court.

Peter

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2,708
I can't tell for sure from the photos either, but the permits say 6:

11/15 permit:
"174 SQ FT CONCRETE SLAB FOR PLACING THREE SUPERCHARGER CABINETS AND SWITCHGEAR ASSEMBLY, 81 SQ FT CONCRETE SLAB FOR PLACING A TRANSFORMER, 54 FT RETAINING WALL, 8'X29' WOODEN FENCE FOR 6 CHARGING STATIONS PREMIUM OUTLETS"

11/25 permit:
"INSTALL 2000 AMP SERVICE FOR (6) CHARGING STATIONS PREMIUM OUTLETS"

Edited to add:
Based on the photos, here's their exact location. The red box outlines the parking spaces being excavated, and the big, tall "Premium Outlets" sign (visible from I-70) is on the left side of the box. The red arrow points at the food court area. Also, if you don't like the food court options, there's also a Longhorn Steakhouse right by the parking lot entrance, and several other places (fast food + Cracker Barrel and Waffle House) just to the south of I-70.

Hagerstown-outlets-map.png

Last edited:
I can't tell for sure from the photos either, but the permits say 6:

11/15 permit:
"174 SQ FT CONCRETE SLAB FOR PLACING THREE SUPERCHARGER CABINETS AND SWITCHGEAR ASSEMBLY, 81 SQ FT CONCRETE SLAB FOR PLACING A TRANSFORMER, 54 FT RETAINING WALL, 8'X29' WOODEN FENCE FOR 6 CHARGING STATIONS PREMIUM OUTLETS"

11/25 permit:
"INSTALL 2000 AMP SERVICE FOR (6) CHARGING STATIONS PREMIUM OUTLETS"

Six is the answer then. I do not think it makes economic sense to put in 4 now and 2 later IF there is heavy use.

While I am impressed by the SC roll out, I wish they would place these on a travel route and not at a destination as there have been several threads about people parking their Teslas in these spaces and leaving them charging well beyond when they get a full charge while they are shopping. In this case placing them near the food court versus the shopping area may help some.

While I am impressed by the SC roll out, I wish they would place these on a travel route and not at a destination as there have been several threads about people parking their Teslas in these spaces and leaving them charging well beyond when they get a full charge while they are shopping. In this case placing them near the food court versus the shopping area may help some.

I wonder if that was part of the rationale for 6, to compensate for some folks staying longer. By contrast, Newark DE only has 4, and that stretch of I-95 is WAY busier than I-70 through Hagerstown (at least every time I've driven them over the past ~20 years). Then again, I also wonder how soon they're going to need to expand the DE supercharger. :)

I wonder if that was part of the rationale for 6, to compensate for some folks staying longer. By contrast, Newark DE only has 4, and that stretch of I-95 is WAY busier than I-70 through Hagerstown (at least every time I've driven them over the past ~20 years). Then again, I also wonder how soon they're going to need to expand the DE supercharger. :)

I live 5 minutes from the DE supercharger and about every 10-14 days go over for a cup of coffee, a charge, and to meet Tesla owners and talk up the car with other interested people. I have yet to go over when all 4 bays are full. I know it happens (been told it happens) but have not personally seen it. As the SC network rolls out and we get more Teslas (S, X and Es) on the road I am certain that they will need to have 8-10 bays there.

All,

The marked red box is exactly correct.

They had everything there for six bays, the second set of posts were laying on the ground not installed yet. It looked like they were right in the middle of that with strings pulled and all.

Peter

The SuperChargers look to be comming along well, there was a lot of excavation needed for the equipment, but that looks to be almost complete. I also didn't see the SuperCharger hardware on site, but alas they don't have the pads in yet for it to sit on. They are at the back of the lot near the food court.

Peter

I looked up the address of "Premium Outlets. It is 495 Prime Outlets Blvd, Hagerstown, MD.

I live 5 minutes from the DE supercharger and about every 10-14 days go over for a cup of coffee, a charge, and to meet Tesla owners and talk up the car with other interested people. I have yet to go over when all 4 bays are full. I know it happens (been told it happens) but have not personally seen it. As the SC network rolls out and we get more Teslas (S, X and Es) on the road I am certain that they will need to have 8-10 bays there.

Saturday of T'giving weekend. There were two cars waiting but they didn't have to wait long. Likely very much the exception given it was a holiday weekend.

Six is the answer then. I do not think it makes economic sense to put in 4 now and 2 later IF there is heavy use.

I think it's hard to meet the "what makes a good SC location" test without having some locals. A good SC location is at the intersection of two main roads (so that it serves multiple routes) and has something interesting to do for 30 minutes while you charge. Because much of the interstate system has junctions at cities (e.g. Hagerstown), and cities have better services, you're almost sure to get some locals.