Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rejection of Tesla Class Action Shareholder Suit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a closing to this case

Judge Slams Brakes on Tesla Shareholder Suit | The Recorder

Long story short, Judge's reaction was this:

star_trek_by_seekerarmada-d5mzwjp.jpg

"I'm at a total—I mean total—loss understanding the basis for this lawsuit," Breyer said.

We all remember the large number of headlines spouting off about this class-action lawsuit back when it first came out in Oct. 2012. It was an FUD party for the shorts and all the media outlets reported it with sensational headlines.

Who wants to bet that the resultant throwing out of this lawsuit as frivolous will barely be noticeable in next week's financial reportings?

Actually, Rob, I was using Google to access the article. So I thought. Is there some secret decoder ring that I don't have?

Usually when you google for the article, and click on it, it gets you through paywalls. Maybe it is your ip or something.

Here is teh article:

SAN FRANCISCO — The accusations centered on electric car fires, but it was the securities suit against Tesla Motors Inc. that crashed and burned Friday in federal court.
Tesla executives didn't cover up fire risks posed by batteries in the company's luxury Model S cars, U.S. District Judge Charles Breyer said, dismissing the complaint without leave to amend. Nor were company statements lauding the cars' safety false, despite three car fires reported in 2013.
"I'm at a total—I mean total—loss understanding the basis for this lawsuit," Breyer said.
Extreme circumstances, including a 100 MPH crash, caused the fires at the heart of the litigation—not a battery defect. In fact, Breyer said, Tesla cars seem to have contributed to the survival of the cars' occupants. In each case, the victims walked away without serious injuries before the cars ignited.
"Tesla said that this car was found to be one of the safest cars ever developed," Breyer said. "That seems to be the case. There's no evidence that that's not true."
Plaintiffs attorney Matthew Tuccillo, a partner in Pomerantz's New York office, countered that Tesla CEO Elon Musk didn't disclose a fire during a factory test "that spun wildly out of control and required 23 first responders."
But Breyer remained unconvinced. "How many fires have occurred with this very dangerous battery" that were not caused by crashes or road debris striking the battery in the car's undercarriage, he asked.
"The answer during the class period and since is zero," said Tesla attorney David Siegel, a partner in Irell & Manella's Los Angeles office. "That risk has never realized."
Tuccillo also accused Musk of misleading shareholders when answering questions about a car battery that ignited in Washington in October 2013. Musk already knew of a second battery fire, but failed to mention it, Tucillo said. But Breyer brushed that off, saying federal securities law doesn't require executives to provide "a stream of consciousness disgorgement about everything everyone knows about everything."

I recall that I phoned the Pomerantz offices (their number was listed on the notice they published asking for other owners to join the action) and left a three-minute harangue message on how stupid, baseless and deceitful the lawsuit was. I did that just so someone from the office would have to waste three minutes of their life listening to it. This was soon after I purchased the car so I guess my emotions may have been somewhat elevated.

now, I feel like: "Mwwwahahahahahahaha!!!!!"