Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dark Grey Model S (silver or grey wheels)!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered the dark grey body color with silver 21" wheels but now thinking of switching to the dark grey 21" wheels.

I know this is such a personal choice but would love to hear your view.

What do you think? Silver wheels or Dark or wheels?!

Thanks!

The chrome on the side of the car corresponds well with the Silver Wheels.
Very urbane, crisp and sophisticated.

I do love the dark grey wheels, makes the car look sort of James Bond-like, maybe stealth Batman-like if the chrome around the windows is also blacked out and windows have darker tint.

And there is one more step for you to consider: Black or RED CALIPERS.

All very personal decisions, each design element contributes to make a statement, some less bold than others...

I have grey paint with the grey 21s. The silver wheels seem to make the grey look too light IMO. Didn't even consider the silver, because I loved how badass the greys look. Silver is a bit more classy I guess, but not the look I was going for.

Grey on Grey is the meanest combo out there. It is jaw-dropping in person. Had I not been in love with Sequoia Green and leery of 21" wheels here in pothole heaven PA, it definitely would have been my top choice. As it is, I put the Rial Lugano lookalikes on my green car, and they too look fantastic.

This combination rocks...

244sgzn.jpg

2cyitjn.jpg

6ohilh.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

There's always this option:
2607os5.jpg

IMO the grey turbines do not match the grey color of the car. Here is a picture I took of the grey with the grey turbines outside of the Tesla factory. You can see the difference:

11200761263_e51e955349_c.jpg

I was initially going for the grey, but the more I saw the grey in sunlight it was too light for me. It's not too light for everyone, but it is by no means a dark gunmetal grey.

If I were getting a grey Tesla, I would get another set of wheels or powder coat the 19's. I saw this Tesla in the Bay Area and really liked the powder coated look:

10911518825_faa5f996f1_c.jpg

If you haven't seen the grey in person, I strongly suggest trying to get somewhere you can. In particular, take a look at it in heavy sunlight (especially if you're in an area with a lot of sun). It's lighter than it looks in pictures many times. Don't get me wrong, I love the color, but when it comes to your question of with those wheels: the car is lighter than the wheels!

If it helps any, here are the silver turbines with the grey in a picture I took. I like the silver better than the grey turbines, but I like the powder coated wheels the best still:

10911548993_af257edf5a_c.jpg

Not in the North Bay, but if you interested in making the drive to the East Bay, Joe Torbati at Orinda Auto Detail did mine, and did an excellent job. My 19's look exactly like those above, except I added red Tesla stickers from Roger to the center caps. Joe also ordered the grey center caps and black lug nut covers directly from Fremont SC, as well as getting the paint code from them for the powder coating.

If you call Joe, he may be able to give you a reference for someone in the North Bay (he is quite active on all the detailer forums).

did Tesla change the shade of Grey at some point throughout production? I swear I see some cars that look more "dolphin grey" and some that look more metallic grey

When I picked up my car at the factory there were 3 grey cars. Two looked lighter, more dolphin grey. One was darker / more metallic. I said to myself I sure hope that's my car, It looks way better! And quick check of the wheels confirmed it was mine!

The Tesla employee I asked about it said all the metallic colors come out slightly differently with each batch, due to small volumes. Not sure I buy it, as I assume my car was in the same batch as the other two people picking up their car on the same day. Either way, definitely different color. I've parked next to a dolphin grey Model S a number of times, both around town and at Superchargers, and the difference is pretty clear. I see way more of the metallic / dark grey ones now than I did a year ago when I got my car, so maybe more consistent with the paint?

To add to the confusion, my grey also looks less metallic when it is dirty, but the dirt doesn't show up much, just hides the metallic-ness.

When I picked up my car at the factory there were 3 grey cars. Two looked lighter, more dolphin grey. One was darker / more metallic. I said to myself I sure hope that's my car, It looks way better! And quick check of the wheels confirmed it was mine!

The Tesla employee I asked about it said all the metallic colors come out slightly differently with each batch, due to small volumes. Not sure I buy it, as I assume my car was in the same batch as the other two people picking up their car on the same day. Either way, definitely different color. I've parked next to a dolphin grey Model S a number of times, both around town and at Superchargers, and the difference is pretty clear. I see way more of the metallic / dark grey ones now than I did a year ago when I got my car, so maybe more consistent with the paint?

To add to the confusion, my grey also looks less metallic when it is dirty, but the dirt doesn't show up much, just hides the metallic-ness.

Man, that unknown is why I couldn't pull the trigger on grey. I absolutely can't stand that light dolphin grey, but I absolutely love the darker metallic. I was afraid of getting a dolphin, so I ended up going for white which I knew would be consistent and I'd end up liking it. Glad you got a good one ;)