Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it a 2013 or 2014 Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will take delivery of a P85 at the factory next week. Can't wait...

For most manufacturers this late December manufactured car would be considered a 2014 model but that's really not how the Model S works, as far as I can figure out...

Tesla is continually making tweaks to the capabilities of the car (e.g., moving the DC-DC converter recently, thus changing the dimensions of the frunk; adding the capabilities for folding mirrors which likely entailed changes to the cable bus in the doors) but the overall Model S is the same now as a year ago and will probably be essentially the same 1-2 years from now but with added features. It is more akin to revisions in electronic hardware, like my Linksys router is 'Rev B (North America)'. What is (or should be) the naming convention for the model iterations of the Model S? I would think that the Signature models are 'Rev A', and that certain subsequent ranges of VINs are Revs B, C and so on. Not having received my car yet, I haven't drilled down into the screens or on any of the badging on the door frame or VIN tag. Does anyone see any hints as to an internal Tesla revision naming scheme? I am assuming that there are certain hardware configurations that affect what version of software is downloaded and what capabilities the car has (e.g., certain levels of supercharging).

IMO, Tesla would help transparency by explicitly stating that certain ranges of VINs are Revs A, B, C etc. and providing a lookup table for what was changed with each revision. Would make for much less confusion and angst about whether or not one's vehicle is 'upgradeable' or not.

I you can actually take delivery of the car in January and still have it be a 2013. What determines the year is when the factory finishes production. This came from both ownership and service center manager. There is a letter in the vin sort of like the P that shows you have a P85 well there's a letter in the vin that tells what year it was produced at the factory. You can call ownership and they'll tell you what that letter is.

Does anyone see any hints as to an internal Tesla revision naming scheme? I am assuming that there are certain hardware configurations that affect what version of software is downloaded and what capabilities the car has (e.g., certain levels of supercharging).

Yea a Tesla regional manager once told me that this is a huge headache for them when doing software rollouts. Specifically, when they make software releases, every time they release software they have several different versions they need to roll out because certain cars have different embedded computer chips requiring different programming. This is different then adding 'configuration flags' for 'tech package' vs 'non-tech-package' or '21in' vs '19in', but rather actual different embedded chips themselves. Aka sigs have a few embedded chips that were from prototype models. So when an engineer is writing code related to that module they need to write different code for the different embedded chips to make sure it works on all the different pieces of hardware to make sure "everyones car works". And this varies car by car (VIN by VIN) as the build continuously improves or different parts are used throughout the year, basically requiring many different builds for different VINs on every release. That's why when they roll something out it might break things for some cars but not others. I know this was a major problem early on last year for them, but I'm hoping that they streamlined the approach quickly and have that process nailed down a little better than it sounded like at the time.

With regards to 'is yours 2013 or 2014', since Tesla does not have "Model Years", AFAIK they process they use is simply the date that the car rolls through the production line. So when Jan 1st rolls around, cars entering the production line are now stamped with 2014 (even though the car is identical to the one that rolled off the line the previous day).

Yea a Tesla regional manager once told me that this is a huge headache for them when doing software rollouts. Specifically, when they make software releases, every time they release software they have several different versions they need to roll out because certain cars have different embedded computer chips requiring different programming. This is different then adding 'configuration flags' for 'tech package' vs 'non-tech-package' or '21in' vs '19in', but rather actual different embedded chips themselves. Aka sigs have a few embedded chips that were from prototype models. So when an engineer is writing code related to that module they need to write different code for the different embedded chips to make sure it works on all the different pieces of hardware to make sure "everyones car works". And this varies car by car (VIN by VIN) as the build continuously improves or different parts are used throughout the year, basically requiring many different builds for different VINs on every release. That's why when they roll something out it might break things for some cars but not others. I know this was a major problem early on last year for them, but I'm hoping that they streamlined the approach quickly and have that process nailed down a little better than it sounded like at the time.

Right, and this is further complicated by the fact that repairs to the car often change the embedded processor versions. I know that happened with my car when they replaced the touchscreen, and when they replaced the door handles. So it's entirely possible for one car to have a software configuration that is different from every other car built.

I will take delivery of a P85 at the factory next week. Can't wait...

For most manufacturers this late December manufactured car would be considered a 2014 model but that's really not how the Model S works, as far as I can figure out...

Tesla is continually making tweaks to the capabilities of the car...

Yes, this has always been how Tesla operates. They implement improvements as soon as they are available. My 2.0 Roadster has a bunch of 2.5 features, such as the improved seats and PEM (power electronics). I don't think it's as simple as VIN ranges, though. Especially when things get changed due to maintenance.

I you can actually take delivery of the car in January and still have it be a 2013. What determines the year is when the factory finishes production. This came from both ownership and service center manager. There is a letter in the vin sort of like the P that shows you have a P85 well there's a letter in the vin that tells what year it was produced at the factory. You can call ownership and they'll tell you what that letter is.

the 10th digits is the year A=2010,B=2011,C=2012,D=2013,E=2014,ETC

Thanks for posting this; this really clarifies for me why their software rollouts tend to be buggy and the bugs frequently only touch some people, but not others.

I get my car in 2014 and that will be registered as a 2014 over here. Don't matter when its produced in the factory. But guess the regulations are different for different countries. Actually good that I get the car early 2014 rather than late 2013 as its registered as a 2014 model.