Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Attn female owners: journalist comments on lack of female Tesla drivers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It wouldn't surprise me if there are disproportionate numbers. Men and women don't buy different types of cars in equal numbers, there are a number of trends that impact car buying habits. Women are payed less than men, that alone could have an impact on the proportions of people buying and using a $60,000 vehicle.

Still, a sample size of 5 isn't enough to make a meaningful assessment.

Whenever I see a Model S (or Roadster, but that's rare) going the same way, I always try to get up close and wave. I must say about 30% of the people are women. I think many of the purchasers/drivers are women, and if there's a gender bias it's actually in whether they are active on social media or not, rather than the actual cars.

(I'm also surprised at how few such drivers ever see me and respond. But there doesn't seem to be any gender bias there either.)

Ridiculous woman. I wave and flash my lights whenever i see a fellow Teslian, man or woman, and i see plenty of women. I don't feel a need to twitter.... Bought the car for myself with MY MONEY, i love it!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,788
The first Tesla S in coastal Georgia belong to a "girl"! Bought & registered by me. Love it...I like the lines, Tesla's philosophy, safety (hey! That's a factor supposedly motivating to women!), ez service, no hassle purchase process...and yes, the handling and performance. Altho not much oppty to put the latter thru its paces. :-(

Tesla ladies rock.

Heh. The way this thread is going, it is beginning to appear that the relevant gender distinction here is that fewer females are on Twitter!

C'mon guys: haven't you got something better to do than tweet all the time?
:)

I'm a female owner, too, and I don't believe Tesla's marketing is any more skewed towards one gender over another, any more than other marques. I do believe that women typically buy cars for different reasons than men, however. Those different reasons can drive both genders to make the same purchase, though. And having been around cars and racing for decades, men simply seem to be more of the "car nut" ilk than women, so I have received comments and questions from far more women than men since I've had my Tesla. (That was the same for my M3, 911, etc. though.)