Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5.8 vampire loss is much better

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over Thanksgiving, I parked my new P85 (2500 miles) at the Austin TX airport for about 7 days. During that time, I periodically used the iPhone app to check the charge status of my car. Here are the results of those observations:

fullloss.GIF

The first day or two, it was quite cold in Austin and that might explain the more rapid discharge during the first 20-40 hours. After that, it was relatively temperate. From 20 hours to 180 hours, the slope of the line equals a loss of about 1.65 miles per day.

Using the forum value of 287 Wh/mile, that's 474 Wh/day or a standby power consumption of 20 watts.

That's good compared to earlier standby losses but still kinda high by modern computer standards.

Keep working on it, Tesla.

Scott

Good data.

I left my (brand new, just delivered) S85 outside and unplugged last night just to see what would happen. Lost about 3 miles overnight, from 10 pm to 7:45 am (from 212 to 209). It was cold here last night; low temps in the low 20s (F).

I resisted the 5.8 update due to the suspension issue, but after 2 weeks of holding out, I gave in and installed 5.8. Not only did I lose the automatic suspension lowering at speed, but my vampire loss went from 3 - 4 miles/day under 5.6, to THIRTEEN (13) MILES PER DAY with 5.8! I lost over 50 miles in 4 days, with my car sitting in a 70 degrees temp garage! Very disappointing. Car is going into service center on Monday!

I resisted the 5.8 update due to the suspension issue, but after 2 weeks of holding out, I gave in and installed 5.8. Not only did I lose the automatic suspension lowering at speed, but my vampire loss went from 3 - 4 miles/day under 5.6, to THIRTEEN (13) MILES PER DAY with 5.8! I lost over 50 miles in 4 days, with my car sitting in a 70 degrees temp garage! Very disappointing. Car is going into service center on Monday!

Is your car ever going into sleep mode? 13 miles a day sounds about right for a car that has insomnia.

I only get 4 miles per 24 hours loss under 5.8 I measured it just last week for a 48 hour period in a fairly cold (41 degree) garage.

I keep the key fobs very far away from the car at night, and I don't run Visible Telsa or the iPhone App when vampire losses are important.

Have had 5.8 for several weeks and there is still a significant drain. I have a 60 and the drain issues still persist. Given the cold weather here (20-35 degrees), it is difficult to determine how much of a factor weather is. On Monday and Tuesday I lost 20 miles each day having the car in the parking lot at work and driving with heat @ 70 degrees and fan speed set to 3.

Is your car ever going into sleep mode? 13 miles a day sounds about right for a car that has insomnia.

I only get 4 miles per 24 hours loss under 5.8 I measured it just last week for a 48 hour period in a fairly cold (41 degree) garage.

I keep the key fobs very far away from the car at night, and I don't run Visible Telsa or the iPhone App when vampire losses are important.

Strangely, my car does appear to go into sleep mode. When I open the door, it takes a few seconds for the dash screen to come up. 13 miles per day is what I used to see BEFORE v5.6. There is a fan noise that appears to be coming from behind the dash, and doesn't seem to go away, so I'm suspecting that may have something to do with the excessive loss. I also keep my key fobs in the same place I have always kept them, when I was only losing 3 to 4 miles per day, and I also intentionally left the car alone so as not to disturb it's sleep! It is going in Monday for its 12 month service, and the vampire loss is at the top of the list of things to address while there.

Strangely, my car does appear to go into sleep mode. When I open the door, it takes a few seconds for the dash screen to come up. 13 miles per day is what I used to see BEFORE v5.6. There is a fan noise that appears to be coming from behind the dash, and doesn't seem to go away, so I'm suspecting that may have something to do with the excessive loss. I also keep my key fobs in the same place I have always kept them, when I was only losing 3 to 4 miles per day, and I also intentionally left the car alone so as not to disturb it's sleep! It is going in Monday for its 12 month service, and the vampire loss is at the top of the list of things to address while there.

You might want to check if your sleep mode is actually working.
If it works correctly it should take the screens about 18 seconds to fully start up from the moment the door handles come out and you open the car.

If the screens start up in only a few seconds, sleep mode doesn't work and you can try a soft-reset by holding down the scrolling buttons for a couple of seconds untill the center screen goes to black.
It worked in my case. But unfortunately after that I had to soft-reset every time to enable sleep mode.

Next week I will contact Tesla and see what they will find.

Strangely, my car does appear to go into sleep mode.

My car usually sleeps very quickly and consistently, however I just had the first case where it did not fall asleep at all.

Normally, I am either not plugged in or I'm plugged in with scheduled charging set. In both those cases it sleeps everytime for me.

Yesterday I was plugged in, but turned off scheduled charging (visiting a friend's house overnight). When I came back several hours later, it was still awake. I turned scheduled charging on again, and shortly after that it was sound asleep.

I have not tried to repo this yet, but thought I'd throw it out there. I'll see if it behaves the same way at home when I get a chance.

My car has been at the shop for repairs for 18 days with no charge. It's been sitting outside in weather that's been largely under 32 degrees F. It started with about 235 miles rated range and after 18 days is down to 119. That's a loss of about 6 miles a day. As I'm only about 25 miles from the airport, this experience leaves me with no concern about leaving the car at the airport for one or two weeks without being plugged in.