Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster repair costs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am new to the forum...

Having read the owner feedback and having driven one, I am seriously considering buying a used Tesla Roadster. Here is my dilemma - go CPO or 3rd party. Cost of a CPO is high due to the included 3yr/36K warranty which is $12,500 among other things.

My specific request is if members can share their approximate repair costs of unexpected breakdowns over the years (even if it was covered by warranty). Here is what I would like to request:
Model year/Miles/Approx total repair costs (pls dont include cost of tires/brakes/accidents etc).

Thanks a ton in advance.

PS - I did search the forum, but didn't find substantial information on this topic. If there is such an existing thread that I might have missed, pls feel free to point me.

i bought mine from a private party not Tesla CPO... Tesla tells me they don't offer extended warranty for roadsters any longer (except thru CPO).

The actual deal is, you have to purchase the extended warranty within 30 days of the original warranty running out. So if the vehicle you purchased didn't already have one, or was over 3 years old, then you're out of luck on that.

You're also out of luck if you live in a place where they just don't offer an extended warranty, for reasons they have never made clear. WA and FL for example. I tried to buy one over a year ago - they even gave me paperwork...but then said they were going to make a few changes and get back to me. Sigh.

Thanks vfx.... right now sound proofing and additional CF are on top of the list.

I'd put my priorities to:

1) Carbo-Tech brake pads, the stocks are horrible and dangerous
2) HID lights - the stock halogens are dangerous, especially when it rains
3) Taylor Mesh Top - This is a necessity in the spring, summer and fall.
4) Visium Clear Top - I use this in the late fall, winter, and early spring. Opens the cockpit area up plus it heats the cabin with cold weather.

I'd put my priorities to:

1) Carbo-Tech brake pads, the stocks are horrible and dangerous
2) HID lights - the stock halogens are dangerous, especially when it rains

Huge +1 on both these items!!! Required for safety IMHO.

3) Taylor Mesh Top - This is a necessity in the spring, summer and fall.

Depends on your climate I think. I use mine less than I expected, although it is certainly very nice to have when the weather suits it.

4) Visium Clear Top - I use this in the late fall, winter, and early spring. Opens the cockpit area up plus it heats the cabin with cold weather.

Haven't tried it. Sounds nice. I think I'm going to save my pennies for the extended warranty, though.

Welcome aboard zombie. Two upgrade suggestions: for about $5 the little stick-on convex mirrors are a huge help in the blind spots. Also, for way more than $5' If Tesla is still providing parts for the double-din dash, I would definitely go for it. I looked at the postage stamp sized nav screen for about 5 seconds before I decided it had to go. I got Tesla to supply the dash pieces then had local car audio shop use them and install a Pioneer head unit for me.

Welcome aboard zombie. Two upgrade suggestions: for about $5 the little stick-on convex mirrors are a huge help in the blind spots. Also, for way more than $5' If Tesla is still providing parts for the double-din dash, I would definitely go for it. I looked at the postage stamp sized nav screen for about 5 seconds before I decided it had to go. I got Tesla to supply the dash pieces then had local car audio shop use them and install a Pioneer head unit for me.

Thanks bobinfla.... Great suggestion on the mirrors. The first thing I realized when i turned my neck to check the blind spot - it was truly blind. I don't plan to use the in-dash nav much. Even in my other cars which have a respectable in-dash nav, I rarely use it. I always tend to default to my iPhone. I AM planning to add a mount for my iPhone. I have ordered iOttie from Amazon.

Agree on the upgraded suspension. Put that on my upgrade list above as number 2.5, right after the HID upgrade. I'm running the Nitron 3-way Adjustable and love them. Not as steep in price as the Tesla adjustable. That's another part of the Roadster I found to be purely dangerous, the stock suspension. It constantly was lifting the weight off the rear tires right when I needed the traction. Happy those stockers are in the trash now.

I have done 1 and 2 on the list and am very happy with that. I would supplement the list with mud flaps on front wheels. This to get your car and clothes less dirty when driving on dirty roads.

Could you please provide a purchase link to the convex mirror you recommend? Please also where to position it, should it be circular and put in the bottom corner like the picture on this page?
Mirrors Interior and Exterior - Page 6

The Nitron suspension looks interesting, can it be ordered from the link below without any Tesla Roadster-specific customization?
Elise Parts - Steering & Suspension - Suspension - Nitron 3 Way Adjustable
Is it straight-forward to install by professionals?

If I ever buy a Roadster, the first accessory that I will get is "the CAN" J1772 adapter, sold by hsharp on this forum. The second will be the already mentioned mesh top from vfx.

GSP

PS. hsharp will soon have a Model S charging plug to Roadster adapter. With lots of HPWC charging stations at Tesla stores and some hotels it may be worth buying as well.

I have done 1 and 2 on the list and am very happy with that. I would supplement the list with mud flaps on front wheels. This to get your car and clothes less dirty when driving on dirty roads.

Could you please provide a purchase link to the convex mirror you recommend? Please also where to position it, should it be circular and put in the bottom corner like the picture on this page?
Mirrors Interior and Exterior - Page 6

The Nitron suspension looks interesting, can it be ordered from the link below without any Tesla Roadster-specific customization?
Elise Parts - Steering & Suspension - Suspension - Nitron 3 Way Adjustable
Is it straight-forward to install by professionals?

Here's the pic of my convex mirror, its on the inside where you don't see the road but rather the Roadster. Any smaller of a convex and its useless, can't see a thing to verify a car or motorcycle. Also where I put it it doesn't take any road or visibility away from the road, again you only see the Roadster's body in that spot.

View attachment 6169

As for the Nitrons, they all bolt on except for the driver side. The ABS sensor mount is different and needs to be re-fabricated to fit the nirtron/elise shock mount. You can call Rob Dietcsh at Dieschworks in San Jose. He did mine... he was going to talk to Nitron to have them make that bracket fit the Roadsters as well. Also they need to be setup right for the Roadster. You can call Rob and order the shocks from him. He can set them up or talk to the person you having installing them to set them up correctly. I'd also replace the rear control arm bushings with poly's if you're in there as well. You can talk to Rob about that for more info.