Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

April 1st in Washington

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DC Event

I want to go, but I can't find any information about this event online. Is this a public event? If I need an invite, how do I go about getting one? If it is public where will the event be held?

Try to get an estimate for what the Signature series will have that is different from a regular Model S. Also an answer on how much it will cost.

Roadster owners get a $10,000 discount. But that could be meaningless if the Signature Series has a crazy price attached to it.

Now that things have settled a little bit from the reveal on the 26th perhaps we could compose a list of NEW questions that I can try and get answers for on the 1st in DC.

Fire away with them ....

#1: Just how far along are they with Pack swap and Fast Charge? Are these just future goals, or do they actually have working prototypes of both?

#2: Is the intention to allow QuickCharge with base model (160 mile pack), and 230 mile version, or only with the future 300 mile "improved technology" pack?

#3: What is the story with the white prototype? Why isn't it drivable?

#4: Is the silver car a real final engineering prototype or more of a "concept car"? From what I have seen and heard it appears to be be based on a non-Tesla chassis, with perhaps non-production material body panels. Do they actually have any cars made yet with Tesla designed chassis?
Are they considering building it on someone else's chassis after all?

From what I can tell there will be changes between what was shown and what could be built. Many of those changes they don't know about yet, but some may be underway already. Any info you can get about what they know they have to change would be good to know.

Which features that they have touted will NOT be available in the first model year?
For instance, I think 300 mile pack, quick charge, and pack swap may not be available at first.

Given that it will be April 1st you could hand them a fake press release showing that Fisker is going to release an all electric Karma... :eek:

Or on second though, just skip the April 1st pranks.

What is the plan for all wheel drive?
* Which model year?
* A 2nd electric motor up front with its' own differential?
* Will the hardware take up the front trunk space?
* Is it just an idea at this point, or is there a real design for it already?

Last edited:
Just got back. Let's see what I can remember, as I didn't take notes:

Model S:

1) They have 520 deposits on the Model S so far.

2) Battery extends across the floorboard, fully right to left and front to back between the front and rear tires. It's this way on the current Model S they're demoing. I took photos underneath and will post them tomorrow probably.

3) Confirmed that the drivable car is not their chassis yet. Actual car will be 4 inches wider inside, with a fair bit lower floor, especially in the back where the +2 seats will be, with no battery underneath that part. The current donor chassis just doesn't allow them to configure the floorboard battery and the rest of the interior as low as they'll be able to do in the final car.

Roadster (from talking to Elon himself):

Current cars accelerate 0-60 at between 4.05 - 4.15 seconds. Elon is testing a new PEM and battery modification which will achieve 3.95 seconds. They had to "detune" current PEM cars as they were cutting out with a power fault very occasionally ("rarely" was his word). When that happens the car shuts down and you have to pull over and power cycle to reset. So 2.0 Roadsters, which will start shipping in June-July will be able to achieve 3.95 0-60 times. Roadster Sport models will get 3.75 or better 0-60.

No plans to add stability control to the Roadster. I was disappointed in this.

They were giving test drives indoors at the museum where they had set up an indoor track. They had a Roadster, Smart, and the Model S.

I'm sure I'll remember more later. That's it for now.