Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Lug Wrench and Jack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased winter tires and wheels so I have decided to use these as my "spare" tires when I get a flat.
They will be kept at home so all that will be needed is a phone call to a family member to go pick one up and deliver it to the MS when it has a flat.

That being said, what is Lug Wrench and Jack would I need to replace a wheel on the MS?

The bolt heads are 21 mm. Rangers use a three ton jack. For occasional use you could get by with a two ton which are common and less expensive. If you want to take it with you there are jacks that weigh only 32 lbs. They are not particularly cheap though.

You can also get these "air bag" jacks that fold flat and are lightweight.. for occasional use (emergency tire change). They slip under the car and are inflated by connecting a hose to your exhaust pipe.. . .. oh, never mind.

The frunk in my Classic 85 can hold a full size spare and jack. I seldom use the frunk for anything anyway. And the wheel in there adds extra crash absorption, if needed.

Don't waste your time with those scissor jacks.
I got an aluminum jack at Costco for around $100 or you can find something at Harbor Freight. You can also get a 1/2" torque wrench there too for around $30 if you're only going to be using it occasionally.
The Tire Rack jack is very solid but it's pretty big too. It wouldn't be easy to throw in a car to use if you had a flat.

Last edited:
I would highly recommend getting a torque wrench. I just had someone overtighten my lug nuts using a power wrench. The lug nuts got deformed and the threads damaged. Total cost to replace wheels hubs and lug nuts: $1700 plus tax. Tesla can't replace just the studs, only the entire hub.

I would highly recommend getting a torque wrench. I just had someone overtighten my lug nuts using a power wrench. The lug nuts got deformed and the threads damaged. Total cost to replace wheels hubs and lug nuts: $1700 plus tax. Tesla can't replace just the studs, only the entire hub.

I was lucky, they only wrecked the nuts on mine. Now I have two sets of wheels so I never have to have anyone else do it.

Every time I could use a torque wrench, I don't have one, and every time I think of buying one, I don't really need it! (Pre-S)

But you guys have convinced me to splurge, thanks for all the info.

Here's Harbor Freight's Black Friday add.
There's a low profile floor jack on the front page- it looks to be steel, so it's going to be heavy but solid.
There's a torque wrench and air compressor on the second page.
On the third page, there's a simple air compressor hose or a wall mount hose.
All are worth getting.

Harbor Freight Black Friday 2015 Ad Scans | Slickdeals

I got this socket from Summit Racing and really like it. Just the right amount of extension and a 6 point for a good fit

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SXT-284321

That's a nice socket!! Thin walled, with a plastic cover to it won't scratch the wheel and the extension looks about perfert for most cars. I had to buy a 3" extension for my cars.
Any idea how much shipping was?