Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Albert Lea, MN - Happy Trails Lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With Worthington, MN and now Onalaska, WI both confirmed to be currently under construction, Albert Lea is the critical link between them. If anyone has information regarding the Albert Lea supercharger, please post it here.
Emailed the mayor just now. I'll see if I get a reply. I think I'm going to start a general MN SC thread like the Wisconsin one for tracking MN locations.

All,

We visited the Albert Lea Supercharger on Saturday and Sunday this past weekend. With only 4 stalls, one stall blocked by carless snow removal, and a busy holiday weekend, I was very pleased to see responsible Tesla owners only using the chargers for the time they need and parking in such a way that allowed others to access the chargers. This includes a Model X from Wisconsin that had a rack on the back and managed to find a way to park and only use a single stall.

Thanks to everyone for being so responsible!!

Brian

Heads up to all those expecting to use Albert Lea. Supercharger cabinet #1 is down so stalls 1A/1B are unavailable. Had to share #2 with an S who got there first and was low on charge ( as I was). Got only 18 kW charging rate for a long time. Now with the S gone I am only getting 55 kW with my SOC at 40%. Not good!

I reported the issue to Tesla and they were already aware of it.

The signage at this site is also unfavorable. 2 of the 4 stalls have signs that say "GENERAL PARKING 11PM-8AM" or something. So good luck if you show up late at night. There could conceivably be only one functioning stall. And heaven forbid some ICEhole "misreading" the signs after the 2 overnight general parking stalls have been filled.

Looks like Tesla is sick of fixing the old supercharger and is putting a new one in:

Search and Status
@Chuq @BlueShift

Here's the address for the new Albert Lea supercharger (see link):

820 Happy Trails Ln, Albert Lea, MN 56007

This is a Petro/TA truck stop on I-35, 4 miles away from the existing Albert Lea supercharger. This will better serve north/south traffic.

Albert Lea - Happy Trails Lane, MN

Along Primary Interstates: I-35*
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): None**
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-35:
To: Oakdale, MN - 102.9 miles
Diversion: 0.8 miles
To: Hinckley, MN - 172 miles

* I'm only saying not I-90 because of the existing site that is much better for I-90
** US-65 actually ends at I-35 just west/north of the location, and US-69 ends at Albert Lea, MN.

OK, actually it's not too bad off I-90 because of the fast County Road access to/from I-90 to the east.

Albert Lea - Happy Trails Lane, MN

Along Primary Interstates: I-35, I-90
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): None*
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-35:
To: Oakdale, MN - 102.9 miles
Diversion: 0.8 miles
To: Hinckley, MN - 172 miles

I-90:
To: Rochester, MN*** - 59.7 miles
To: La Crosse, WI*** - 122.4 miles
Diversion: 1.9 miles
To: Mauston, WI - 184.7 miles

* US-65 actually ends at I-35 just west/north of the location, and US-69 ends at Albert Lea, MN.
** Obviously you wouldn't really travel from the other Albert Lea, MN Supercharger, unless you were trying to accumulate visits, or it had a problem.
*** I include Rochester, MN as a "desperation Supercharger" in case of really evil weather making it necessary despite the very large diversion. Normally the neighbor would be La Crosse, WI

Albert Lea 2 is definitely under construction. You can see the conduit coming out of the ground. Crew appears to be making pretty quick work of the installation @BlueShift

Attachments

• 20190503_115153.jpg
    20190503_115153.jpg
    475.6 KB · Views: 318
  • 20190503_115301.jpg
    20190503_115301.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 111
I looked around when I was there and didn't see any other equipment on site that I could grab a picture of at the time. I don't recall whether or not there was a shipping container there though. I have seen that done in some other Tesla builds.