Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Model S Nose Cone Designs (Prototype, Alpha, Beta and beyond)

According to the engineers that spoke at Michigan University, the front end will be more like the prototype. Said they threw the body on that Alpha build pretty quick to get it on the road.

Icon5 Model S Alpha - Front Grill??

In your opinion, is Tesla hiding the final grill for the Model S

or is that how its going to look?

On TM.COM they show off the "original" front grill.

But the Alphas appearing in the recent blog post seem to have the "new" front as well. There's a rather big chance that the front will stay this way...

2.5 Roadster #501 EU / Signature Model S #5 EU
    SWISS TESLA OWNERS CLUB - WWW.TESLACLUB.CH

I hope not, looks are more important than drag coefficient. IMHO

I was planning on paying extra to get this grill.

Presumably there could be a range of after-market grills available in a variety of different styles. Much like alloys.

I think it was pretty unanimous that the new grill on the alpha is not nearly as appealing as the grill they had on the prototype. You'd think that Tesla would take note of it and at least offer an option for the original grill.

Even if the purpose of the new grill is to improve the drag coefficient Im sure they could achieve that goal while still maintaining the original look.

Five reasons why I think we're not seeing the final nose:

1) I would think that if the alphas are representative of the new grill, then they'd change the gallery pics on their website...but they aren't.
    2) Somewhere (as mentioned on one of the threads here) a Tesla engineer said the "nose cone" will not be on the final car.
    3) Tesla's mentioned in many places that the end design will be very similar to the prototype. I don't anticipate that they would make such a huge change and still claim to say that.
    4) The majority of reaction to what we see with the "nose cap" has been negative, style-wise. Surely Tesla recognizes this, and I don't think Franz would let his front end get hijacked for a reduction in the drag coefficient of maybe 0.02 or 0.03.
    5) They're doing road tests, and perhaps don't want to attract too much attention.

Two reasons why I think the nose might stay:

1) Where's the charge port? Must be in the nose, right?
    2) There it is on the alpha.

I lean toward what we're seeing as a temporary front end, because I find the list of 5 reasons above more convincing.

Icon14

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    Five reasons why I think we're not seeing the final nose:

1) I would think that if the alphas are representative of the new grill, then they'd change the gallery pics on their website...but they aren't.
    2) Somewhere (as mentioned on one of the threads here) a Tesla engineer said the "nose cone" will not be on the final car.
    3) Tesla's mentioned in many places that the end design will be very similar to the prototype. I don't anticipate that they would make such a huge change and still claim to say that.
    4) The majority of reaction to what we see with the "nose cap" has been negative, style-wise. Surely Tesla recognizes this, and I don't think Franz would let his front end get hijacked for a reduction in the drag coefficient of maybe 0.02 or 0.03.
    5) They're doing road tests, and perhaps don't want to attract too much attention.

I lean toward what we're seeing as a temporary front end, because I find the list of 5 reasons above more convincing.
    Thanks Todd, I like your reasoning... I sure hope your right! I'm not sacrificing for years to have a funny looking car.

I wonder how much the front end gets "locked in" after crash testing?
    Some things have to be left alone unless they want to do another round of crash testing later.
    Or maybe they area already planning to re-do crash tests on the betas too?

Model S: VIN P 3552 gg_got_a_tesla's Avatar

This is being discussed on that other thread about the Alpha workshop tour. Notice the other front-end sitting in the bottom right corner of this picture. You can see that it's got the chrome grill all around with the horizontal strip across (which, although you can't see it here, I'm sure has the T logo like in the prototype).

I think we can put this concern to rest
    Last edited by gg_got_a_tesla; 2011-03-30 at 08:47 AM.

Thread Information