Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Nose Cone Designs (Prototype, Alpha, Beta and beyond)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
Foam mock up:
3388938545_307a6afa74.jpg

Dark Gray "Aero buck" or "Mule" (?):
3388939103_153da675fb.jpg

White non drivable "roller" with no drivetrain. ("Exterior Design Model"):
3387766113_fdf9aea28b.jpg

Completed silver "early" drivable prototype.
(Seems to be based on a Mercedes chassis with fiberglass body panels and a Roadster motor):
3390627274_63443b2022.jpg

Last edited:
Well, the "nose" continues to be an item of interest, so perhaps it is time to resurrect this thread.

Now that the "Alpha build" is out, here are some mock-ups and comments people have been making in other topics:
Poster over at Tesla's blog posted this photoshop of the "nose cone" painted same color of car. He admits he's not proficient at photoshop, however I can see what he was trying.
Clipboard01.png

Perhaps something like this...
ModelS.jpg

And in a lot of ways this mockup much more closely resembles the Roadster than the current Alpha.

Quick photoshop grille chrome stripe....
attachment.php?attachmentid=1335&d=1295494126.jpg

A version with the 2.5 roadster grill.
ModelS_Alpha_mod1.jpg

Just as long as it doesn't morph into that fat lipped grin that became part of the Mazda design language during Franz von Holzhausen's tenure. ;)
mazda.jpg
(also mentioned here...)

Last edited:
Okay, I've been staring at it for a couple of days now, and I can't bring myself to liking the front end. I want to see the chrome and the badge back on the nose to dress it up a little. Get rid of the "whiskers" in the vents on either side.

I admit, it looks sporty. But I want something that looks more mature and refined. The silver / maroon prototype had that.

Little photoshop of old style grille onto new front. There is a hood line down from the top of the oval, so the T has to be down a bit. Also, the bumper used to be at the bottom of the oval, and is now across the middle, for regulatory reasons maybe. I would think it likely that TMC has plans for that black area. But here's my 2 cents again.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1340&d=1295640800.jpg

Attachments

• alphaTgrille.jpg
    alphaTgrille.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 1,689
Last edited:
Thanks Rob, This is close to what I was thinking of mocking up. It makes the most sense with what Tesla has been doing on all the previous S versions and explains the plastic top piece withing the opening..

The counter argument to this version is the badge that is on top of the hood of the Alpha and how it relates to the 2.5 Roadster hood emblem treatment.

At least it looks slightly better with @roblabs modification. Now Tesla please get rid of or at least downplay the roadscraping frontspoiler, it's a feature best suited to the taste of fifteen year old boys dreaming of their first car (didn't someone here mention Camaro?).
First time in my life that I paid ahead for a car (still waiting for my production number...) and already have it ruined ... but it doesn't look hopeless yet.

Little photoshop of old style grille onto new front. There is a hood line down from the top of the oval, so the T has to be down a bit. Also, the bumper used to be at the bottom of the oval, and is now across the middle, for regulatory reasons maybe. I would think it likely that TMC has plans for that black area. But here's my 2 cents again.
[Image clipped]
I did the same mock up and then removed the "whiskers" in the front vents. It really cleaned up the front. I agree with Ipe who commented about the spoiler being "best suited to the taste of fifteen year old boys", but also figure it must be important to the aerodynamics or it wouldn't be there.

All in all, I think they are targeting the wrong demographic. It's a $50,000+ sedan that seats 5+2, for crying out loud. It's not a Trans Am. You can't even gun the engine at a red light if you tried!

Well, since the grill is superfluous (at least the top half of it), it would probably be better to remove it completely and design a new front. The wish to stick to the prototype look has resulted in something that is supposed to resemble a grill but is obviously fake. And fake is not something you want in a quality product.

I wasn't as impressed with the little Vauxhall (owned by GM for the last 85 years), but it at least has a "V" in front. This one looks more sporty. And we do have a few in the US, but they are very common in UK. I wouldn't confuse it with the Tesla!

attachment.php?attachmentid=1345&d=1295751436.jpg

Attachments

• vauxhall03[1].jpg
    vauxhall03[1].jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,693
Last edited: