Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who ordered today???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got savings enough to do a €4000 deposit now, but considering I need some time to save up money and Tesla's recent unlocking of price I've got time. I'd like to at least wait until the DOE loans are resolved or some other investor steps up. I'd sort of like to see them start building their factory as well, or repainting or whatever they do...

Executive summary: Not me :)

Cobos

I did my deposit yesterday afternoon and faxed the agreement to them last night. I don't think the first come first serve really matters at this point.
They are going to get all of them and just assign Model S numbers based on your Roadster number. They will release the first list of order numbers in May.

Got my order in at 8:19 am. Got call from Tesla at 1 pm. There doing good so far.

Tesla would not accept my order until the web site went up, and that took all day Thursday. By that time, I called Menlo Park and had arranged to be there with cash at 10AM Friday. I want to be in the Signature Series, even tho' I am not a present Roadster owner, so it's harder to do. But the cash seemed to be a fun thing to do with them. I have a lot of faith in them, and I think their car will probably be setting the bar for quite a while.

Tesla would not accept my order until the web site went up, and that took all day Thursday. By that time, I called Menlo Park and had arranged to be there with cash at 10AM Friday. I want to be in the Signature Series, even tho' I am not a present Roadster owner, so it's harder to do. But the cash seemed to be a fun thing to do with them. I have a lot of faith in them, and I think their car will probably be setting the bar for quite a while.

Cash? I would think the bank would fill out a SAR (Suspicious Acitivity Report) if you actually took out that much money. Those SARs are filed with the IRS or the Treasury Department and some of them do get investigated by the FBI. :eek:

Or did you just happen to have $40,000 around the house for petty cash?

I got email confirmation of my order at 5:30 Thursday evening. I faxed the paperwork in at around 6:00 PM. Got phone confirmation a couple hours later. I'm not a roadster owner, nor am I getting a signature series, so I don't know how I'll fit in the order lineup. But I'm patient, I can wait for this car.

I got email confirmation of my order at 5:30 Thursday evening. I faxed the paperwork in at around 6:00 PM. Got phone confirmation a couple hours later. I'm not a roadster owner, nor am I getting a signature series, so I don't know how I'll fit in the order lineup. But I'm patient, I can wait for this car.

I think you will be soon after #1000 (or #2000 if they do 1,000 signature series in Europe also). Once they finish the signature series, regular production will be at the rate of almost 20,000 per year. So once they get going, they will move through the order list quickly.

I think the order list will be a mixture of Signature series and regular Model S where people just place a $5,000 deposit and are willing to wait.

All I placed was a $5,000 deposit for now for the regular Model S. And I found out that I only get the Roadster owner $10,000 discount if I upgrade to the Signature series. But I really don't want to leave $40,000 in a deposit for 2 or 3 years. So I am content to wait with a low number on the regular production Model S.

Last edited:
First post here, but long time Tesla fan and follower.
I placed my order the evening of the 26th (reveal day) and e-mailed the signed agreement (may still need to fax as well) yesterday (28th). Other than the deposit e-mail confirmation I haven't gotten the "call within 24-48 hours" yet.

I'll check for a newbie forum to post a bit more about myself.

I read in the order process that the build order owner assignment is based on when the form was faxed it. I asked Tesla about this Fri at 1 pm and they were not sure of my build number. They had 1000 people contact them that morning for info and/or to place deposits. I was told I am one of the first depositors for the midwest. Minus all the signature cars.

Evan: Your plan for the next couple years is OUTSTANDING!

I think you will be soon after #1000 (or #2000 if they do 1,000 signature series in Europe also).

I just read the following from the FAQs section for the sedan at teslamotors.com:

"5) How are Model S reservations prioritized?
a. After an initial preference has been given to existing Roadster customers, prioritization will be determined by when your completed reservation agreement and reservation funds are received by Tesla. In other words, first come, first served."

And

"6) Will Roadster Owners be given referral spots for friends?
a. Yes. Each Roadster owner will get 5 referral spots that can be used prior to June 30, 2009. After this date Roadster friends will be prioritized with general public."

So I guess that means that general orders have to wait until after any roadster owner friend referral spots are filled :frown:

Last edited:
I read in the order process that the build order owner assignment is based on when the form was faxed it. I asked Tesla about this Fri at 1 pm and they were not sure of my build number. They had 1000 people contact them that morning for info and/or to place deposits. I was told I am one of the first depositors for the midwest. Minus all the signature cars.

They are going to gather all of the deposits and then figure out the list to assign an order by May.

I hope they do get over 1,000 deposits quickly. That would be a strong sign of viability for the government loans to be approved.

Aptera has 4,000+ orders but they are just $500 deposits.
If Tesla were to get 4,000+ orders at $40,000 to $5,000 each, that is a much more impressive accomplishment.

For now, I only signed up for $5,000 until I hear that the government loan is approved. I also need to see the estimated specs and price for the Signature Series before I will consider a larger deposit.

Long time Tesla follower, new member to this forum. Wanted to thank everyone for all the good info and news links on this board. Looking forward to keeping the excitement level high for the next couple years until the Model S is released!! I got my reservation in at the unveiling event on the 26th, still waiting for the confirmation call. Did get to take a quick ride in the prototype and have to say it was incredible..comfortable, good acceleration, beautiful interior, lots of room. I'm sure they will be refining many of the details, but this is going to be an amazing & groundbreaking car.

I impatiently e-mailed Tesla Reservations today as I'd not yet heard from anyone and wanted to make sure all was well. It is...here's the e-mail:

Hi Evan,

Indeed, the response has been phenomenal! Rest assured though that your place in line was held on the date that we received your deposit.

Meridith McColl, copied here, is your Tesla Sales representative and she’ll be touching base to officially confirm with you soon.

Thank you for you patience and welcome aboard!

Joe Powers

Tesla Motors

Northeast Sales Manager

New York, NY

So, if you haven't heard anything yet, don't fret. Sounds like they're on the ball and getting a great response!

*Duplicated in my introduction thread:

A little update.
I got my call from a nice guy named Kevin Daly with Tesla in Chicago who will be my rep. He confirmed that my reservation is in and that I was one of the first 400 who signed up in the initial 24 hours when they started taking reservations.

He also said that official numbers will be out later this week, but they expect that they'll have 1000 reservations in the first week!!

A little update.
I got my call from a nice guy named Kevin Daly with Tesla in Chicago who will be my rep. He confirmed that my reservation is in and that I was one of the first 400 who signed up in the initial 24 hours when they started taking reservations.

He also said that official numbers will be out later this week, but they expect that they'll have 1000 reservations in the first week!!

That is impressive. The amount of money in deposits depends on how many are at $40,000 for the signature series and how many are at $5,000. But if they really are at 1,000 orders then I suspect it is at least $10 million to $20 million.