Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hollis Auto Body - Recommendation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Robert.Boston

Model S VIN P01536
I've been a very unhappy camper recently after getting into an accident on Rte 2 in late October. No need to go into details here, but suffice it to say that my car had extensive front-end damage.

On advice of the Watertown staff, I had my car taken to Hollis Auto Body in Ashland MA, a bit west of Framingham. Although it's taken far too long--for the most part because of delays in getting parts from Fremont--I can't say enough positive things about Hollis and their work. The car looks better today than when I took delivery a year ago. There is no trace of any physical damage, the relevant paint-armor parts were replaced with superior 3M pieces, and the car was detailed inside and out superbly. Hollis also managed 100% of the dealing with my insurer (Liberty Mutual), and even reduced my payment by 50%.

While I sincerely hope that none of you need the services of an auto body shop, if you do I give top marks to Hollis.

Hollis did the work on my car in May after my rear passenger side door was hit by a driver who couldn't stop in snow on the second day I had the car. They did beautiful work, though it took longer than expected even after the door came in (it took nearly 6 weeks to get the part), because they didn't have Tesla paint mixes in their computer yet and had to match it themselves. They also had some trouble getting the handle working properly - thanks to Tesla Watertown who sent a tech to help them resolve. And there was a minor issue with one of the door's interior panel mounting clips, which took several trips to Watertown until they managed a permanent fix. I'm sure those issues are no longer, as I was one of their early Teslas, and I would definitely use them again though hope not to have the need.

Glad to hear your green machine is back and better than ever, Robert. Not exactly the weather for it, but Jeff at Wheel Dynamix still has the rest of my 3M film roll if you plan to do the tinting.

Yeah, I get that -- but it seems to make it easier for people when the California posts contain a clue about the region in the posts. Same with Florida. But no one is complaining. :)
Have to agree with Robert on that. Why would we qualify all posts in the New England forum with a New England tag? If we're going to do that, we should just have one forum with tags?

Do you mean where within the region of New England?

Last edited:
Have to agree with Robert on that. Why would we qualify all posts in the New England forum with a New England tag? If we're going to do that, we should just have one forum with tags?

I agree. If you don't read from the forum structure you may see something not of interest to you. I occasionally click on unread/new threads on batteries or charging and read a post or two before I realize I'm in the Roadster forum. My tough luck - I don't expect them to put Roadster in each title.

After getting an estimate from Hollis, I also checked out Dick's Autobody in Somerville. It was "minor" in the greater scheme of things, in my case it was a ding on one part of the car (my fault) and a scrape on another (my wife). Still $1,000s.

Dick's is a well known BMW & Porsche body shop. They came in at less than 70% of the cost of Hollis for the same work (arguably perfect including replacement of the paint armor). If it's more aggressive aluminum work (a crash) or on insurance, probably doesn't matter but if you're paying yourself or would prefer somewhere closer to Boston, Dick's is a great choice. You can ask for Frank.

I asked Mat at the service center about various options. He agreed that Hollis is the best option, but expensive. Hollis is the only certified Tesla body shop in New England, but Mat thought that for smaller work, they were equally good options that would cost a lot less.
Yeah, had basically the same conversation with Mat over the summer and in my case, because the work didn't require all the fancy aluminum equipment that Hollis has, their "rocket scientist" hourly rate wasn't justified. :)

After getting an estimate from Hollis, I also checked out Dick's Autobody in Somerville. It was "minor" in the greater scheme of things, in my case it was a ding on one part of the car (my fault) and a scrape on another (my wife). Still $1,000s.

Dick's is a well known BMW & Porsche body shop. They came in at less than 70% of the cost of Hollis for the same work (arguably perfect including replacement of the paint armor). If it's more aggressive aluminum work (a crash) or on insurance, probably doesn't matter but if you're paying yourself or would prefer somewhere closer to Boston, Dick's is a great choice. You can ask for Frank.

Good to know. In my case Travelers paid everything including deductible as I was stopped at a red light when hit and the other driver's insurance covered it.

IMG_20131218_133417.jpg

Just happened today. A lady in the minivan opened her door as I was driving by her van... Is Hollis Auto Body really dependable? I've been taking my BMWs and MBs only to Claire/Prime for last 20 years... I've been burned by bodyshops doing poor repair works that I'm hesitant to try a new body shop.

Last edited:
View attachment 38496

Just happened today. A lady in the minivan opened her door ad I was driving by her van... Is Hollis Auto Body really dependent? I've been taking my BMWs and MBs only to Claire/Prime for last 20 years... I've been burned by bodyshops doing poor repair works that I'm hesitant to try a new body shop.

Very sorry to see that, David. As Robert stated, Hollis is very good. My insurer (Travelers) said they were the right place to go for such work. And they are Tesla certified.

Ouch David, so sorry that happened to you. Why do people just fling their doors open without any regard for moving traffic or cars parked next to them? Drives me crazy.
I recognize that street, I'm usually traveling down it in the other direction.