Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Never been supercharged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same here except mine is 16 months old. I live in the heartland of superchargers and have never actually used one. However, two weeks after the first one opened in Gilroy I did go down there and plug in for 5 minutes just to verify that it worked on my car (which it did).

I love the supercharging concept and for me it was a total bonus because while I new rapid charging was going to come I had no idea it would be as amazing as the SCs ended up being. And free to boot!

That said, I am not the type of person that is interested in waiting 30 minutes to 2 hours every 150-200 miles while trying to get somewhere. The only case where I would probably use it would be a single day round trip that was a little outside my range but that had a SC on the route.

In my youth I drove from coast to coast across the US (almost 3000 miles) no fewer than 12 times with my family. The fastest we ever did it was 60 hours. This one happened when I was a teenager and somehow I always ended up with the driving shift that started at about 1am and ended around 8am. This was made possible by the fact that zero planning was required to drive essentially forever with essentially infinite choices about detours (required or desired).

But the more SCs out there, the more driving scenarios will be viable in the MS. And since the MS is hard to beat in terms of driving enjoyment, it will always win when there is a relatively painless way for me to use it. I think I am already above 95% of my driving in my P85. I have two other cars that are parked almost all of the time as well as my wife's car available if needed. The SUV barely turns over when I try to start it because it sits so long between uses.

Where are you located?

Maybe you could take a trip and encounter one....
'Cause they are pretty awesome to use: I know I am spoiled .

Seattle area. There is one 70 miles north and one 90 miles south. Just haven't done a lot of long drives this year, keep flying places instead.
Eventually I am going to drive to one just to supercharge and then drive home.

Eventually I am going to drive to one just to supercharge and then drive home.

Watching the rated miles tick up the first time is an awesome experience.

If you can't talk your wife in to going (my wife and I ran in to her at the grocery store a couple of days ago; we were briefly confused as it looked like our car moved over a few stalls) let me know, I may be up for a road trip...

From your house, the Burlington supercharger is closer, and a nicer drive, and Bob's is better than most of the nearby food options in Centralia.

Appears it will be 2015 before one appears in Nashville or Chattanooga for me to imbibe.
Yeah, same for me. I think if one were within range I would drive there just to experience it. Not sure when one will be in range though. Cracks me up when those on the west coast complain they have to drive 30 miles out of their way to get to a supercharger. Oh well, someday!

I just drove from Boston to Cleveland, and I would have liked to have taken my Model S and SuperCharged, there are zero SuperChargers along I90 currently to do so. I had to rent an ICE and leave the Model S at home... I've also never SuperCharged, as this was the first time I needed to go far (other than a trip to the top of Mt Washington, where I stayed overnight and charged at an RV Park). SuperChargers are only on I95 out here, and I've had no long trips on that route.., there is one being installed in East Greenwich Rhode Island, and I suppose I will take a drive to it, once it exists to pop by "SuperCharger" virginity :)

I just drove from Boston to Cleveland, and I would have liked to have taken my Model S and SuperCharged, there are zero SuperChargers along I90 currently to do so. I had to rent an ICE and leave the Model S at home... I've also never SuperCharged, as this was the first time I needed to go far (other than a trip to the top of Mt Washington, where I stayed overnight and charged at an RV Park). SuperChargers are only on I95 out here, and I've had no long trips on that route.., there is one being installed in East Greenwich Rhode Island, and I suppose I will take a drive to it, once it exists to pop by "SuperCharger" virginity :)

Mitch, I can't believe you haven't taken a drive to CT for the experience!
I was all set to take my kids to DEEP: Dinosaur State Park or to Pinballs DOT Com in Milford, CT but life kept getting in the way. Just DO IT!