Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TMC on phones & tablets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As someone counting the days (15!) before I take delivery of my car at the factory, I've been spending way too much time on this site :wink:

One frustration is that there is no modified view of TMC for smaller-screen devices like iPhones, iPads, etc... navigating TMC on an iPhone is clunky and frustrating to say the least...

I've looked but have not found what forum software is driving TMC, but having set up other forums in my medical field (in my case using Vanilla Forums, an open-source forum platform and vBulletin), I know that most of these software platforms have the capability to support viewing and navigating on smaller-screen devices, and they auto-configure depending on the device used.

Can I ask the TMC moderators/managers to look into whether or not they can turn on the capability of their underlying forum software to enable a smart device view of TMC? I'd love to be able to navigate TMC while using my iPhone.

Jamie

As someone counting the days (15!) before I take delivery of my car at the factory, I've been spending way too much time on this site :wink:

One frustration is that there is no modified view of TMC for smaller-screen devices like iPhones, iPads, etc... navigating TMC on an iPhone is clunky and frustrating to say the least...

I've looked but have not found what forum software is driving TMC, but having set up other forums in my medical field (in my case using Vanilla Forums, an open-source forum platform and vBulletin), I know that most of these software platforms have the capability to support viewing and navigating on smaller-screen devices, and they auto-configure depending on the device used.

Can I ask the TMC moderators/managers to look into whether or not they can turn on the capability of their underlying forum software to enable a smart device view of TMC? I'd love to be able to navigate TMC while using my iPhone.

Jamie

Scroll to the bottom left of the screen. There is a dropdown with different styles. Two of them are mobile related. I find using the regular theme better on my phone but there are two options.

Mobile.PNG

We're using vBulletin. There is a mobile style which you can select at the bottom left of the page, or you can get by clicking here: Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

I don't think it's great, but it works for the most part. There is an option to automatically detect mobile devices, but we had members that preferred the normal site even on phones. Once you select the mobile version, your phone browser should remember that selection.

Another option is an app called tapatalk, which TMC currently supports, but as a site admin, I kinda hate. The app scrapes our content but skips our ads while in some cases including their own. We keep ads to a minimum on TMC but do rely on that ad revenue to keep the site sustainable. If you use tapatalk, we hope that you also consider becoming a supporting member.

The future is responsive web design, but that won't be for a little while yet.

I am having trouble using "post quick reply" On my ipad. It lets me type one character, then keyboard disappears until I click on the TMC screen, so I have to do weird hunt and pick from keyboard to main screen and back.

seems ok if I use "reply with quote". ( I can delete quote before typing and continue).

Also quite tired of the next/previous settings on the iPad keypad. Doesn't seen to be a rhyme or reason that determines whether you can enter a line of text, or whether the keypad vanishes after one keystroke.

Last edited by a moderator:
No ads on my iPad, but I support the site (meaning I bypass all advertising).

However I do have that problem with the keypad vanishing after one keystroke on my iPad, but there is an easy workaround: Open the keypad and instead of typing, immediately close it. Then open it back up to type. It will now stay open. That's worked for me 100% of the time.

If anyone has a better solution, please let me know!

Yeah, I think the problem is that for some reason the "cursor" is on the wrong field when you open the text field on iPad/iPhone. It's a glitch of some kind. Hitting the > button once is the solution - been doing that for many months now.

Yeah, I think the problem is that for some reason the "cursor" is on the wrong field when you open the text field on iPad/iPhone. It's a glitch of some kind. Hitting the > button once is the solution - been doing that for many months now.
FWIW, I saw the issue on Windows Phone or Surface (I forget which) back when. I don't do a lot of post writing on either device these days so I don't know if it's still an issue.

See the arrows at the top left of the keyboard: < >

Just tap the right one once before you start typing; keyboard doesn't disappear and you don't have to the close/open dance.
Yes, this is the work-around. What I don't understand is why most of the time the "next"/"previous" left arrow is correctly selected. Just when I'm getting complacent, the text window opens with the right arrow selected and closes after the first keystroke. I wonder what drives this seemly random selection of the incorrect arrow? I just can't seem to remember to check the arrows everytime I start to type. This seems to be unique to this forum's software interaction with my iPad; I haven't noticed it elsewhere.