Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can the Cost of Solar in the U.S. Compete with Germany?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ggies07

Nov 8, 2012
DFW
I thought this was an interesting article and hopefully we will be able to lower these "soft" costs in the years to come.

Can the Cost of Solar in the U.S. Compete with Germany?

SBoS_Graph-01.jpg

Those numbers aren't even valid anymore, that's how fast costs dropped in Germany and continue to drop in the US. I believe residential in Germany is now below $2/W and I got a quote of around $3.94 turnkey on a flat roof in Philadelphia before any subsidy.

Hardware costs are what they are, all the rest is crap that will eventually be whittled away. Germany is aiming for EUR1.00 installs and is almost there. They're already installing for less than that on certain large scale projects. I think I read somewhere that they actually had a recent large install done for less than $1USD per Watt. That's wild.

The craziest cost based thing I've noticed in my process is that the state of Pennsylvania will give you $.75 per Watt (when the Sunshine Program happens to be flush) and the US gov't gives you 30% of install costs in tax credits. Well panel costs are now below $.75 per Watt, so PA is essentially willing to pay for my panels and the feds are paying for my inverter(s)? Bizarre. Capitalism is gonna break down completely when this matures in 15 years.