Page 1 of 159 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Older Teslas limited to 90kW Supercharging

Older Teslas limited to 90kW Supercharging

I sent Tesla an email because I was only getting 90kwh out of the new Springfield, OR 120kwh chargers. I was told today that my car is older and doesn't support 120kwh. I'm rather steamed about that. Nowhere that I can find has Tesla ever said newer cars had different support than older cars. I asked about an upgrade. Doesn't know. Would an upgrade be part of the "hardware upgrades" mentioned in my prepaid service contract? Doesn't know.

If someone bought a used Tesla or activated SC on a 60kwh, would they know if it was 90 or 120 enabled? Doesn't know.

I'm not particularly happy about the 90kwh limit and particularly by the complete lack of information conveyed to anyone about the fact a difference existed or how to find out. This certainly dims the resale value of older Teslas.

He said he'd call me back when he found out more information, but I'm not pleased. I'm seriously regretting purchasing when I did rather than waiting another few months (VIN P02310).
    Last edited by ckessel; 2013-12-05 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ckessel View Post
    I sent Tesla an email because I was only getting 90kwh out of the new Springfield, OR 120kwh chargers. I was told today that my car is older and doesn't support 120kwh. I'm rather steamed about that. Nowhere than I can find has Tesla ever said newer cars had different support than older cars. I asked about an upgrade. Doesn't know. Would an upgrade be part of the "hardware upgrades" mentioned in my prepaid service contract? Doesn't know.

If someone bought a used Tesla or activated SC on a 60kwh, would they know if it was 90 or 120 enabled? Doesn't know.

I'm not particularly happy about the 90kwh limit and particularly by the complete lack of information conveyed to anyone about the fact a difference existed or how to find out. This certainly dims the resale value of older Teslas.

He said he'd call me back when he found out more information, but I'm not pleased. I'm seriously regretting purchasing when I did rather than waiting another few months (VIN P02310).
    Are you running the 5.x firmware train or still on 4.x?

Quote Originally Posted by ckessel View Post
    I sent Tesla an email because I was only getting 90kwh out of the new Springfield, OR 120kwh chargers. I was told today that my car is older and doesn't support 120kwh. I'm rather steamed about that. Nowhere than I can find has Tesla ever said newer cars had different support than older cars. I asked about an upgrade. Doesn't know. Would an upgrade be part of the "hardware upgrades" mentioned in my prepaid service contract? Doesn't know.

I'm sure he's wrong. There are a lot of people that work for tesla and dont know anything about the product. Some of there people that dont know anything just say stupid stuff. That cant be true it would be an absolute outrage among customers. I'm sure hell get back to you and correct himself.

I don't think this is true but looking forward to hearing updates

Quote Originally Posted by bhuwan View Post
    I don't think this is true but looking forward to hearing updates
    VIN 2547 here, would definitely would like to hear more on this, as once SCs arrive in my corner of the Northeast this will be a big deal. Hoping it is untrue, or if true, SCs can address with a simple hardware upgrade.
    Model X P6028 / Model S P4996 - 85kWh, Sequoia Green, Pano Roof, 19" Wheels, Tan Leather, Obeche Gloss, Tech, Sound, Air Susp, Jump Seats, Shelf, Xpel Wrap, Twin Chargers and HPWC - Delivered and loving it!

Have we searched through either the 5.8 or 120kW threads to see the VINs of folks who have reported the higher charge rates since either 5.0, 5.6 or 5.8? I could have sworn there were some beta testers on 5.0 who were Signatures who had reported higher charging rates?

Edit: I actually just read the 120kW thread, and and at least one person (Cottonwood) with a Sig reported the same thing, i.e., that they were not able to get better than 90 kW.
    Last edited by SFOTurtle; 2013-12-05 at 05:36 PM.
    60 kWh grey grey leather supercharger enabled tech 19" factory pickup: 2.17.13

Come on guys, let's not freak out here. This is pure misinformation, as there are reports of sigs and low vin cars charging at close to 120kw. Unless you talk with Tesla engineering, take every word someone says with a grain of salt.

My understanding of it was that 60s cannot charge at the same supercharging rate as the 85s simply due to the literal # of batteries in the car and the distribution of the DC charge. In other words, if each battery pack and take max XXX amount of DC charging, and the 85kwh contains more battery packs, then logically the 85 can receive a higher DC charge rate than the 60 can.... makes complete sense to me. AFAIK this is expected behavior, and has nothing to do with any sort of 'older hardware limitation' but instead simply the 85s can charge faster than the 60s because it has more batteries that it can charge simultaneously.
    P85. VIN05837. Mileage (05/13/14): 48,000mi, Black | Tan Leather | Perf Seats | Obeche Glossy | Pano | Tech | Sound Studio | Air | Spoiler | Parcel Shelf | Twin Chargers | HPWC | Fog | Extended Trim | Alcantara | Premium Lighting, Aftermkt: XPEL | 40/20% Tint | Lighted T | 19" Tsportline TST Grey Turbines | 255/45ZR19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3

Sig 255, VIN 320
    Quote Originally Posted by qwk View Post
    This is pure misinformation, as there are reports of sigs and low vin cars charging at close to 120kw.
    Could you kindly point out a screenshot/other evidence that demonstrates a Sig charging above 90 kw? I have a Sig and have maxed out at 85 kw my previous two SC sessions. Also, the taper curve is worse than 4.5. I dial back to ~70 kw by 80 rated miles. I'm running 5.8.

Quote Originally Posted by apacheguy View Post
    Could you kindly point out a screenshot/other evidence that demonstrates a Sig charging above 90 kw? I have a Sig and have maxed out at 85 kw my previous two SC sessions. Also, the taper curve is worse than 4.5. I dial back to ~70 kw by 80 rated miles. I'm running 5.8.
    It's in the 120kw charging thread.

Thread Information