Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Savannah, GA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I heard a rumor today that the Savannah supercharger could be going into the Westin, at the golf/spa resort across the river. That's a pretty rotten location for I-95 travelers seeking a quick charge, but apparently Tesla has some sort of business relationship with Westin so there it goes.

I think it's great that Richmond, VA, Burlington, NC and soon-to-be Rocky Mount, NC supercharges will be operational within weeks. That means travel from New York to Charlotte, NC will be possible, but I really wanted to travel to Charlotte from Orlando during Thanksgiving. All I would need is Jacksonville, FL and Savannah, GA by then (I-95/I-26 would be most helpful too, but not absolutely necessary for my purposes). Why are these locations taking so long?! I know they said East Coast by end of the year, which could mean Dec 31st, but can't we just get those extra couple by Thanksgiving to allow holiday travel for the Floridians? Come'on Tesla! Just two or three more. Please!!

(Sigh). I just reserved an ICE rental for my Thanksgiving trip to NC. Unless GA and SC establish permits this week, there's no chance of Superchargers by then. Since we are not traveling for Christmas, I'll have to be content with showing my NC family photos of the fancy new car that I couldn't drive. Spending 2 days on the road (for overnight charging) is not an option.
Not meaning to sound critical. I still love my car, I'm just not looking forward to having that conversation. Oh well, there's always next year.

Last edited:
Not meaning to sound critical. I still love my car, I'm just not looking forward to having that conversation. Oh well, there's always next year.

I agree, the conversation will be the worst part. "you paid $X dollars for that car and you can't even drive it where you want?"

Just respond that the amount of money you don't pay on gas more than paid for the rental. Even if it didn't was well worth being able to drive such an amazing car wherever you want the OTHER 361 days of the year. If you say it confidently enough they'll believe you, or at a minimum stop bothering you about it. And like you said, next year you'll blow them away.

This is one reason the wife and I are hesitant to give up our 2nd car being a gas guzzler, but getting having the S/X duo is soooo tempting.

I agree, the conversation will be the worst part. "you paid $X dollars for that car and you can't even drive it where you want?"

Just respond that the amount of money you don't pay on gas more than paid for the rental. Even if it didn't was well worth being able to drive such an amazing car wherever you want the OTHER 361 days of the year. If you say it confidently enough they'll believe you, or at a minimum stop bothering you about it. And like you said, next year you'll blow them away.

This is one reason the wife and I are hesitant to give up our 2nd car being a gas guzzler, but getting having the S/X duo is soooo tempting.

Good advice.

Funny but I used to pick up a rental when I did these types of trips anyway. If anything happened to it, I just gave it back and got another. Also, my ownership profile on cars (typically BMWs) meant the cars cost me $1/mile in depreciation. This MORE than paid for a mini van and the MV typically would pay for itself just in better gas milage.

Considering MS' are $80-$100K cars, you may actually save money using a ICE rental.

Funny but I used to pick up a rental when I did these types of trips anyway. If anything happened to it, I just gave it back and got another. Also, my ownership profile on cars (typically BMWs) meant the cars cost me $1/mile in depreciation. This MORE than paid for a mini van and the MV typically would pay for itself just in better gas milage.

Considering MS' are $80-$100K cars, you may actually save money using a ICE rental.

Granted, but that doesn't take into account the intangibles (driving enjoyment, showing off the car, saving the planet, etc).

It would make more sense to put one near the intersection of I-95 and I-16. I was under the impression these Supercharger stations were for traversing the country. Placing them at destinations are a bad idea and a waste of resources. I doubt anyone traveling up or down the 95 corridor will make a detour to Savannah to charge their car. I personally travel through Atlanta and across 16 in Georgia to get to 95. If the Westin wants to attract Tesla owners, they can install Tesla HPWC's at their hotels.

It would make more sense to put one near the intersection of I-95 and I-16. I was under the impression these Supercharger stations were for traversing the country. Placing them at destinations are a bad idea and a waste of resources. I doubt anyone traveling up or down the 95 corridor will make a detour to Savannah to charge their car. I personally travel through Atlanta and across 16 in Georgia to get to 95. If the Westin wants to attract Tesla owners, they can install Tesla HPWC's at their hotels.

They are not normally placing at destinations. Have you looked at the possibilities on the Savannah charger at the intersection you stated? It looks to me like it would require location couple of exits North or South so a few miles of of the interstate East with a good potential for joint venture for food entertainment lodging is a viable option. I have asked for local opinions on the locations before to no avail.

I think it's great that Richmond, VA, Burlington, NC and soon-to-be Rocky Mount, NC supercharges will be operational within weeks. That means travel from New York to Charlotte, NC will be possible, but I really wanted to travel to Charlotte from Orlando during Thanksgiving. All I would need is Jacksonville, FL and Savannah, GA by then (I-95/I-26 would be most helpful too, but not absolutely necessary for my purposes). Why are these locations taking so long?! I know they said East Coast by end of the year, which could mean Dec 31st, but can't we just get those extra couple by Thanksgiving to allow holiday travel for the Floridians? Come'on Tesla! Just two or three more. Please!!

I'm also planning a similar trip from Orlando to Durham. It looks like I will have to charge overnight in savannah. The airport has level 2 chargers and a host of hotel options. Then my plan is to charge at KOAs from Point South to Wade. It's about 225mi. Has anyone taken this trip? Is that stretch practical without stopping at a level 2 to charge for an hour? Any better options anyone else has found traveling I95?

I'm also planning a similar trip from Orlando to Durham. It looks like I will have to charge overnight in savannah. The airport has level 2 chargers and a host of hotel options. Then my plan is to charge at KOAs from Point South to Wade. It's about 225mi. Has anyone taken this trip? Is that stretch practical without stopping at a level 2 to charge for an hour? Any better options anyone else has found traveling I95?

I just travelled through that area.
There is a charge station in Parking Lot next to Visitor Information Building in Savannah.

Charged and stayed @ Point South Yemasee KOA.
Charged and stayed @ Charleston KOA.
Went up through Charlotte, charged overnight @ Whole Foods (SAE J1772 no cost) while I slept @ my Friend's house,
Went up to Burlington SC, topped up, drove over to Durham.

Not as direct at I-95, but I got there in one piece.

Chris,
KOA has Hundreds of sites, these are just two.
I have a KOA directory and a Good Sam's RV Travel Guide and Campground Directory (thousands of listings)

Point South KOA, Yemassee, SC 29945
1 (800) 562-2948
$10 for auto charging
About $61 per night for the Kabin (one queen size bed, one double bunk bed, no linens or pillows or blankets, cable TV).
You do get a 10% discount if you get a KOA Value Kard (Membership), it cost $24.

Confirmed: NEMA 14-50 outlets are available.

There is a swimming pool, public type restrooms with showers
They have a kitchen that makes pizza, wings
They have a bar, craft beer and local wine tastings on most evenings (except Sunday, Blue Law)
Everything looked to be in average or better than average condition (it is a RV Park, not the Ritz)
Yes, they were friendly about letting me stay and also charge the car.
Not all slots/berths in an RV park have 50 Amp service, be specific what you require when you make your reservation.
If you arrive late and it is dark, you will probably require a flashlight
NOTE: They were very close to being fully occupied when I was there.
There is also a Good Sam's RV Park about a mile away.

Charleston KOA, Ladson, SC 29456
(800) 562-5812
$45 per night for a Kabin, (one queen size bed, one double bunk bed, no linens or pillows or blankets, no TV) which included charging for my car.
(Each KAMP is independently run, just go with the flow.)
I don't know what the cost would be at this KOA location just to charge your car.
My Kabin had a swing on the front porch, some have chairs.
10% discount courtesy of the KOA VK card
They have a family lodge that sleeps up to 10 people, don't know about the cost or the accommodations.

Confirmed: NEMA 14-50 outlets are available.

There is a play-ground for the kids
Don't recall if they had a swimming pool or not
There is a gas station/convenience store near by, and a trailer park

They were friendly, but the neighborhood was not as outdoorsy, almost urban
Clean but not as nice as Point South KOA

NOTE: There are two additional KOA RV Parks very close to Charleson: Cross/Santee Cooper Lakes and Mount Pleasant/Charleston
And there are OTHER RV Parks and State Parks that have outlets, so you have lots of Options
Just plan on about 30 miles of charge per hour for daytime charging.

Hope the above information is helpful, for charging, camping or both