Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Glance opinions of the S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. Looks fantastic!
2. Unless that decoration on the fender has function, it distracts from the sleek design. I know such decor is popular on many cars these days...
3. 21" rims - you have to be kidding me - This is not a SUV. All that unecessary unsprung weight requires a lot of torque to stop and start. IMO 18 or 19" rims would be a better choice
4. The chrome moulding running across the back of the S into the tail lights - well - not for me.
5. I hope they make this car and that it becomes a big success story.

My first glance resulted in the firm decision that this would be my next car. Up until now I have been a fan of Tesla and I would comment that I was getting a Model S someday. But I always said that with the same sincerity as the guy in the bar who decides some Hollywood starlet will be his next wife. Wishful thinking.

But that changed today. A quick glance through the photos and the Tesla website and my mind was made up. This will be my next car. This will be the vehicle that takes me into retirement and beyond. This will be the car I will someday visit grandchildren in. The range, the interior space, the amenities, and the drop-dead gorgeous looks - I'm sold. Seriously and without hesitation.

Well - okay, there was that one hesitation. I started the on-line ordering form and remembered that I still have my daughter's wedding to pay for. So I relaxed some and decided to sleep on it for a while. When the Chicago store opens, my wife and I will stop in and ask any questions that are unanswered by then. And put money down.

I am very much excited about this whole reveal, and have been a big supporter of this level of sedan. And I so don't want to rain on the parade - yet I have to admit that the Ad copy on the site rubs me the wrong way :(. Can't the car stand on its real merits without using the language to fib? How many people will be turned off when they read 300 miles at $50,000? Here's what it says:

With a 300-mile range and 45-minute QuickCharge, the $49,900 Model S can carry five adults and two children in quiet comfort – and you can charge it from any outlet, without ever stopping for gas. World’s first mass-produced electric vehicle offers performance, efficiency and unrivaled utility, making it the only car you’ll ever need.

Should we count the problems in this short missive?
The 300 mile car will NOT cost $49.900
In fact none of the models will cost $49.900 - that's after Fed rebate.
To charge in 45 minutes, you can NOT charge from any outlet.
Mass produced? Before this can be claimed, it needs to be "produced" at all!

Why must we soil a fantastic offering with this bit of slimy marketing? :sigh:

There is so much to like about the Model S, and I find myself dreaming about owning one someday. Personally I like a smaller car, so I have misgivings about driving something that can seat 7 like that, but I supposed I could get used to all that space.

For a little company with only two models, Tesla has certainly set their bar very high in terms of style, performance, and now practicality. These EVs (both 'S' and Roadster) really have no apologies to make other than their somewhat steep prices due to costs of batteries, exotic material and limited economies of scale.

--

Darell, I fully agree with your point of contention regarding doublespeak marketing, and we have (unfortunately) seen that before and made an issue out of it, but it continues. We had hoped that they would be more careful and "straight shooting" in their marketing, but we find that they resort to typical tactics of typical car dealers.

Perhaps this is one of the unfortunate affectations we have to accept as they learn all the tricks (good ones and bad ones) of running a large volume car business.

Darell,
I agree that the marketing language is somewhat misleading. I ordered my Model S fully expecting that the final price will likely be closer to $50,000. And I am counting my $10,000 Roadster owner discount and the $7,500 tax credit.

$57,500 for the base model
+10,000 for the options to make it a really nice car (metallic paint, higher range battery, etc)
-10,000 for the Roadster owner discount
-$7,500 for the tax credit.
==========================
$50,000 approximately with no sales tax in Washington.

But for a regular non-Roadster buyer, then need to expect $65,000 to $70,000 before counting the $7,500 federal tax credit and whatever state incentives they might have available.

I am hoping that I won't need a new Tesla HPC. Hopefully there will be an adapter so that the Roadster charging station and mobile chargers will work on both cars.

Last edited:
hmmm... my first thoughts..

* LOVE LOVE IT. Love the overall proportions and lines, the pretty blue lights on the dash, GIANT touch screen.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Love the bigger "T" logo on the back, smaller TESLA writing. AWESOME blue LEDS/Argon strips in the headlights.

Seeing the back still makes me really think of Tesla Roadster which is good.

The door handles seem pretty cool, but probably one of the things that gets dropped from prototype to production stages. Here's hoping they don't change the design too much... (a la Volt)

I like the silver front grill way more than the black one... after seeing many more angles though, they both look nice (Bf hated the silver grill :rolleyes:)

There's two model S'... does that mean one is clay? Is one of the white/silver ones the dark grey-ish looking one we saw in all those teaser shots? (are there 3??)

I wish solar panels of some kind were an option for the roof (temperature control, touchscreen while car is off, etc). Didn't Elon say at one point he wanted solar panels for the car? Make it an option tho, don't make everyone get them.

Really Really Good from a styling perspective.

We've discussed before the equal pitfalls of "too safe" vs "too striking" and I think Tesla have done a fantastic job in finding a balance point.

At the moment I'm finding the front views easier to love than the rear, but it'll grow.

Now off to think through the specs :)

Not as amazing as I had hoped but am not disappointed. The DB9 / Rapide has set the standard very high.

Maserati in the front Aston Martin in the back (but not as good/wide).

It grew on me quickly. The Roadster took a lot longer to like the looks of since it's design is rather bland with no striking styling features to grab onto. They went so safe it's almost boring -like some say about electric motors.

As for the Model S, over the course of the night seeing it silently move around made it that much more exciting Brilliant to do this by the way. Shows how it is patently different that anything else ever made.

Never could get close enough the the finished one to sit in it.

LOVED the side logo treatment when lit up.

The "face" of the car looks feline at best. Angry Asian at worst.

We did not put down the $5K though it seems likely when we know more. If not for the recent pricing schenanigans they would have our money now. Wife needs a new car and wants it in red.

Very disappointed that the name is still the "Model S". Does not flow off the tongue. Would have much prefered "Whitestar"

Last edited:
My first glance resulted in the firm decision that this would be my next car. Up until now I have been a fan of Tesla and I would comment that I was getting a Model S someday. But I always said that with the same sincerity as the guy in the bar who decides some Hollywood starlet will be his next wife. Wishful thinking.

But that changed today. A quick glance through the photos and the Tesla website and my mind was made up. This will be my next car. This will be the vehicle that takes me into retirement and beyond. This will be the car I will someday visit grandchildren in. The range, the interior space, the amenities, and the drop-dead gorgeous looks - I'm sold. Seriously and without hesitation.

Well - okay, there was that one hesitation. I started the on-line ordering form and remembered that I still have my daughter's wedding to pay for. So I relaxed some and decided to sleep on it for a while. When the Chicago store opens, my wife and I will stop in and ask any questions that are unanswered by then. And put money down.
So did you end up ordering it? And congrats on your daughters wedding! (12 years late)

Not as amazing as I had hoped but am not disappointed. The DB9 / Rapide has set the standard very high.

Maserati in the front Aston Martin in the back (but not as good/wide).

It grew on me quickly. The Roadster took a lot longer to like the looks of since it's design is rather bland with no striking styling features to grab onto. They went so safe it's almost boring -like some say about electric motors.

As for the Model S, over the course of the night seeing it silently move around made it that much more exciting Brilliant to do this by the way. Shows how it is patently different that anything else ever made.

Never could get close enough the the finished one to sit in it.

LOVED the side logo treatment when lit up.

The "face" of the car looks feline at best. Angry Asian at worst.

We did not put down the $5K though it seems likely when we know more. If not for the recent pricing schenanigans they would have our money now. Wife needs a new car and wants it in red.

Very disappointed that the name is still the "Model S". Does not flow off the tongue. Would have much prefered "Whitestar"
This thread is so old, Im not even sure "Angry Asian look" (im assuming a reference to the headlights being slanted?) was offensive at that time.