Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blink Primer???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for the newbie question but I pulled into a Cracker Barrel yesterday and wanted to check on how to hook up to a commercial charger since I had not done this previously. It was a Blink Charger (didn't I read where they were bought out by ChargePoint???) I tried to use my brand new ChargePoint barcode but had no clue how to make it work or where to swipe the card. The instructions stated something to the effect, "Pass the code past the icon below." But I saw no icon and I passed the barcode everywhere I could think of to pass it, all to no avail. I finally plugged in my credit card info and it charged fine at 30 Amps (18 MPH Ugh!!!) and $2 per hour. Can someone please enlighten me? Or is it that my ChargePoint card is inop at Blink???

Not only that, but the delay to actually get a Blink card is ridiculously long. I signed up 10/21 and still haven't received it. They said they have a 4-8 week backlog right now.

Once you're signed up, while waiting for your cards you can create "Guest Codes" from your account, which you can plug into the station. This allows you to charge at the member rate (usually $1/hr). The problem is that not all of their stations support codes, so you have to be careful.

Not terribly impressed with Blink.

In case anyone runs across this, Blink support says they still have a gigantic backlog of cards to get out.

I ordered my card 10/21, as I posted above, but it didn't show up until 1/18. If you think you need one, plan ahead. Way ahead.

Guys, just use the app after you sign up to get a one time use Blink code.. It works the same as a card to the membership rate, and you don't need the card
A high percentage of the Blink network chargers, at least in the Bay Area, don't accept codes. It depends on what model charger is installed at a given location, and if cellular access is stable at the site. They also occasionally have outages where the code system is not functional, and at least once they've taken it down for a few days for upgrades (they provided a couple days notice for this case, but still scheduled it during a high travel period at Christmas).

I wouldn't put yourself in a situation where you had to rely on the codes. They're a decent alternative if you have lots of other options to fall back on if they don't work.

Not only that, but the delay to actually get a Blink card is ridiculously long. I signed up 10/21 and still haven't received it. They said they have a 4-8 week backlog right now.

Once you're signed up, while waiting for your cards you can create "Guest Codes" from your account, which you can plug into the station. This allows you to charge at the member rate (usually $1/hr). The problem is that not all of their stations support codes, so you have to be careful.

Not terribly impressed with Blink.
just got my card today, 3 months o get.

I too applied for both cards. Then browsing their map I find Blink is as available in Alabama as is Tesla Superchargers! :frown:

A solar energy company in Huntsville has an EV site but its a quarter to half mile by foot to anything. I knew that already. Perhaps for laughs I'll go by there and suck some free juice for a few minutes just to say, "Hi!"