Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon's Long Days and Nights - May '09 C and D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

W8MM

R1.5 #325 + Mdl S #01380
Jan 5, 2007
Cincinnati, USA
"Besides building rockets for NASA and trying to revolutionize the home solar-panel business, Internet zillionaire Elon Musk, 37 - he helped found and then sell PayPal for $1.5 billion - is also trying to keep alive his electric-car venture, Tesla Motors [see our test of the Tesla roadster on page 66].

Q: Lately, Tesla has generated bad news.

A: It's been a bit of a soap opera just on a personal front. Some of the guys I paid to originally take the AC Propulsion technology and create a production car out of it turned out to be some bad apples, and bad apples hire bad apples. Over the past 18 months, the entire management team has changed.

Q: Where do things stand now?

A: We're at a steady clip of 15 cars a week, rising to 30 cars a week by spring, and getting our costs under control. [The costs] were way higher. A year ago they were $140,000 [a car], and that's just direct labor and materials, and we were selling these things for $92,000. The prior management team had been representing to myself and the board that the car cost $65,000. Pretty bad.

Q: Indeed. How will you fix it?

A: Right now the costs are steadily going down. We're somewhere around mid-to-low 90s in the cost of the car. When we factor in optional equipment, we're at a slightly positive margin. Call it break even. We have another revision of the power train that enters production in June and gives some additional performance. That allows us to offer the "Roadster Sport", as well as reduce the costs. We've saved money on the supplier side by either renegotiating with our suppliers or finding different ones.

Q: What can you say to reassure buyers fearing you might go under?

A: Even in the worst case of an Armageddon scenario, I'll personally refund people [their money] if need be. I think there's very little danger of that. We've raised around $40 million, and a bit of news that hasn't come out yet [is] General Electric is investing in Tesla. [GE Capital] will be the second-largest investor in this round, after me. Our business plan that we presented to investors gets us to profitability by the middle of this year, even if some negative stuff happens.

Q: Any advice for someone starting a car company?

A: Have a high pain tolerance."

Some of the guys I paid to originally take the AC Propulsion technology and create a production car out of it turned out to be some bad apples

Is that how Martin is referred to now? :)
You gotta admit, the victors get to write history and Elon is very good at it.

and a bit of news that hasn't come out yet [is] General Electric is investing in Tesla. [GE Capital] will be the second-largest investor in this round, after me.

That is huge news.

I found this tidbit nice to see, assuming the interview happened after the last Town Hall Meetings:

Q: What can you say to reassure buyers fearing you might go under?

A: Even in the worst case of an Armageddon scenario, I'll personally refund people [their money] if need be.

At those last Town Hall Meetings, he very clearly backed off from his earlier assurances that he'd refund people's deposits on the Roadster if the company went belly-up.

Last edited:
...At those last Town Hall Meetings, he very clearly backed off from his earlier assurances that he'd refund people's deposiss on the Roadster if the company went belly-up.

The skeptic in me says he tailors his answers to his audience, the press gets "I have the buyer's backs". To the buyers, "I'm not that liquid".

The bad news: GE Changes Its Mind On Tesla (GE)

GE had committed to invest in Tesla and sent an e-mail confirming the investment, but GE backed out on the day it was supposed to wire funds to Tesla. The decision came after GE went into company-wide capital conservation mode.

The good news:

In any case, GE's investment allocation was taken up by venture capital firms Westly Group, Technology Partners and Draper Fisher Jurvetson, and Tesla closed the $40 million round without a problem earlier this year.

Seems like Car and Driver published those comments after GE backed out - maybe it was too late to change the article by then.

Unfortunate timing on the part of GE too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Always leave space in your life for objects that bring out your inner child. We think Maharishi Mahesh Yogi said that, right before inventing the yoga moves needed to get in and out of a Tesla.
Whatever design anomalies, daily annoyances, absurd ergonomics, and ridiculous economics underlie Tesla’s little battery-powered peashooter, the car has one slam-dunk feature: It makes boys out of men....
hahaha-024.gif