Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

charging cables/EVSE - what comes with UK spec model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think anybody knows for sure, but based on the info on the 'Design studio' page:

- You get the UMC included.
- UMC can have various adapters on the end of it, but for UK customers the blue 32A single-phase 'commando' plug adaptor is included; the red 3-phase equivalent is £75 extra
- There was in the past talk of a UK 13A plug adaptor, but no mention of it now. Probably need to build/buy a 13A->Commando adapter. Maybe the 13A adapter for the UMC will reappear later.
- NOT included is Type2 cable for public chargepoints. Tesla will sell you one for a whopping £500!
- CHAdeMO adapter listed at £850 if car has supercharging, or £2000 otherwise. The type2 cable price makes this look cheap!

I'm assuming that I will be able to use my Zoe cable to charge publicly at Type 2 chargers given that most of the time my wife and I will either be using the Zoe around town or the Model S for longer trips so no "cable contention". Regarding charging through a normal wall outlet, the recent email I got from Tesla included three charging options of which the following was the second:

2. Standard domestic socket
Unlike many other electric vehicles, Model S doesn't require installation of charging equipment in your garage. You’ll plug one end of the Mobile Connector into Model S and the other end into your domestic wall outlet. The Mobile Connector is supplied with a domestic plug adapter based on your country of delivery. Model S charges at a maximum of 13 Amps in most of Europe, or 10 Amps in Switzerland. These domestic sockets deliver 16 Amps at 240 Volts.

I've not purchased any of the cables from Tesla since I think they are probably all above market price and things can still change significantly between now and when I get my car. I already have a 32A ChargeMaster wall box at home supplied with my Zoe so that is my baseline for charging although I've also installed two 32A circuits into my garage and specced the twin chargers.

I'm slightly worried about the statement "These domestic sockets deliver 16 Amps at 240 Volts" and their intention to set the mobile connector to 13A in most countries.

- The common European CEE 7/7 plug supports up to 16A.

- UK and Ireland sockets are 13A but unless the socket is of high quality (and many aren't) then by running at 13A for hours at a time the heat will cause it to eventually go brittle and crack. I've seen this happen and I know of Roadster owners who saw it happen after just a few weeks.

- Denmark also has 10 and 13A sockets of a different design to other countries that will also take the CEE 7 family, so visitors beware.

- Italy has sockets rated at 10A that will take the CEE 7 family. It shouldn't be possible, but I have been able to just plug in before with no problem. So it would be possible to overload such a socket.

There's a reason why other manufacturers have limited their EVSE bricks to 10A. I've got one that can charge at 13A if I set it to, but I only do so when I am absolutely sure the wiring and socket is of high quality.

Sorry to say it, but at 13A I think they are inviting a fire incident.