Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohio Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live and work in NEO. My monotonous daily drive goes through Macedonia so I am happy to scout if that is in fact the location...

What do we know so far?

From one of the maps I've seen lately, Cambridge, OH (or thereabouts) and Charleston, WV appear to be future SC sites, but not "coming soon", just listed as 2014 or 2015 at this point.

Yes getting out of ohio, specifically Cincinnati is a bit problematic at this point. I believe a trip to Myrtle Beach will take me about 18+ hours.

Yea, it really is. There is not even much Level 2 charging to work with once you get north of dayton, or south of where ever your house is located. East and west are not much better (at least going west you can hit indy up for a L2 charge)

Someone mentioned Maumee,OH elsewhere. Used to live there before, but would be great to have our eyes there. I looked at city council meeting. Nothing in November minutes. This location is going to serve MI and OH owners.

Used to live there as well and there are definitely a few locations I can think of that would work. Not sure how accurate "Maumee" is, though, on the map. I could also imagine it being easier to place in Perrysburg, at the I-280 exit off the turnpike which has a huge rest stop and a bunch of open space.

@772

Well, it is fairly simple due to size of Toledo and the way highways are located. It is going to be on I-80 for it to be useful for Cleveland-Chicago travel. Here are 3 locations where I think it makes most sense.

(1) Intersection of I-475 and I-80 (Maumee): I lived here. Many great dining options here. Also has a light industrial area. If off I-475 then on W Dussel Dr, If off I-80 then on S Reynolds Rd.
(2) Intersection of I-75 and I-80 (Perrysburg): Not much here, mostly farm land. Could be on Avenue Rd (OH-795) if off I-80, or on Fremont Pike Rd (US-20) if off I-75. US-20 has some big stores and may have some places to eat.
(3) Intersection of I-280 and I-80 (Outside Perrysburg): You are right the turnpike has great rest areas, would not be too hard to accommodate Tesla Supercharger in the huge parking lots here. Only problem is, Tesla will need to build 2 such stations in opposite directions and will require more investment. Tesla has done the same with Darian SC in CT though.

If we discuss just pure location then I feel option 2 would work best as it is on intersection of 2 main corridors, I-75 & I-80. Folks coming down from Detroit/Canada can stop there and go either way on I-80. It doesn't really matter where is Supercharger along I-80, for Cleveland-Chicago travel. However option 2 would also be helpful for folks traveling south on I-75. Next supercharger along I-75 is near Dayton, 142 miles away.

Choosing option 1 or option 3 will favor travel in one direction. Option 2 is however in little isolated area, with no good place to eat nearby. Option 1 is little out of way for folks going to Cleveland from Detroit, but has great dining options and will only add 20 miles RT at most to double back and head to Cleveland. I am placing my bets on this location. Will be interesting to see which works out. It may be worthwhile to keep a watch in these areas, esp. option 1>>2.

Last edited:
@772

Well, it is fairly simple due to size of Toledo and the way highways are located. It is going to be on I-80 for it to be useful for Cleveland-Chicago travel. Here are 3 locations where I think it makes most sense.

(1) Intersection of I-475 and I-80 (Maumee): I lived here. Many great dining options here. Also has a light industrial area. If off I-475 then on W Dussel Dr, If off I-80 then on S Reynolds Rd.
(2) Intersection of I-75 and I-80 (Perrysburg): Not much to eat here. But has bigger stores here.
(3) Intersection of I-280 and I-80 (Outside Perrysburg): You are right the turnpike has great rest areas, would not be too hard to accommodate Tesla Supercharger in the huge parking lots here. Only problem is, Tesla will need to build 2 such stations in opposite directions. Tesla has done the same with Darian SC in CT though.

Will be interesting to see which works out. It may be worthwhile to keep a watch in these area.

Agree--and the Maumee location makes the most sense of all of them. When I heard they were building one in Toledo the Reynolds Rd. area was my first thought.

@772

(2) Intersection of I-75 and I-80 (Perrysburg): Not much here, mostly farm land. Could be on Avenue Rd (OH-795) if off I-80, or on Fremont Pike Rd (US-20) if off I-75. US-20 has some big stores and may have some places to eat.
(3) Intersection of I-280 and I-80 (Outside Perrysburg): You are right the turnpike has great rest areas, would not be too hard to accommodate Tesla Supercharger in the huge parking lots here. Only problem is, Tesla will need to build 2 such stations in opposite directions and will require more investment. Tesla has done the same with Darian SC in CT though.

If we discuss just pure location then I feel option 2 would work best as it is on intersection of 2 main corridors, I-75 & I-80. Folks coming down from Detroit/Canada can stop there and go either way on I-80. It doesn't really matter where is Supercharger along I-80, for Cleveland-Chicago travel. However option 2 would also be helpful for folks traveling south on I-75. Next supercharger along I-75 is near Dayton, 142 miles away.

Choosing option 1 or option 3 will favor travel in one direction. Option 2 is however in little isolated area, with no good place to eat nearby. Option 1 is little out of way for folks going to Cleveland from Detroit, but has great dining options and will only add 20 miles RT at most to double back and head to Cleveland. I am placing my bets on this location. Will be interesting to see which works out. It may be worthwhile to keep a watch in these areas, esp. option 1>>2.

Option 2 is one I didn't not consider initially, but there honestly is not a lot of food choices here. #1 was my first idea when I heard Maumee, and really provides the best amenities of any of these choices.

Option 3 would not require 2 stations as the travel "plaza" is located immediately off the highway and accessible in both directions. Here is the location in google maps:

NWZ4gbi.jpg

The pin is located on the side with a BP gas station and a burger king/taco bell inside. Across the street to the north is a Pilot station with a McDonald's. Across the street to the northwest is a Subway and a Diner. Immediately across the street to the west, though, is another Diner and a lot of abandoned/undeveloped space. Really, though there a number of spots that an SC could go.

I've also noticed that Tesla seems to be installing more of their SC's in or near shopping centers. So I could also see them putting this at/near Levis Commons, near the I-75/I-475 junction. Definitely lots of ways to pass the time there... :smile: Considering it a bit more, this seems like a better compromise location to serve both the East-West route along the turnpike and the North-South traffic on I-75.

In any case, I'm glad to know there will be an SC somewhere in this vicinity relatively soon! I still travel by this area occasionally, so I'll keep my eyes open for anything I see.

Last edited:
I agree there is virtually nothing near option #2 esp on OH-795, US-20 however has Starbucks and Panera and may have some fast food joints as it has major stores and still populated area. #1 has best amenities and safe area as within city limits.

Regarding #3, it seems we were talking about different spots. I travelled almost every other day to Maumee from Cleveland for almost 3 years, probably best customers for turnpike, and lot in toll charges. I passed by the location you mentioned every time and always thought that it is mainly hotels and truck station, didn't know till today that is one of the TravelAmerica center. As you mentioned there are few restaurants there. Here's the link for others who are interested.
TravelCenters of America LLC | The one stop for all your travel needs. | TA Toledo #87

What I was thinking was an actual turnpike rest plaza, 2 miles further on I-80. That location will require 2 stations, but as discussed earlier this will be far out oneway and will serve more Detroit-Clevelend traffic then Detroit-Chicago traffic or southbound I-75 traffic. For this location to be very useful it has to be near I-75. I-75 has no supercharger between this and Dayton. Jackson supercharger will also be delayed, and so this supercharger will have to serve traffic to Chicago. I doubt #3 is a realistic option for this reason, atleast one on I-80. (Red circle).

image.jpg

image.jpg

Lewis Commons is certainly an ideal location. IMHO there is nothing that can even come close to it, well may be Fallen Timber mall (speaking of it I realize, it could be a potential location, though not as big as Lewis Commons, I would take this over others. It has similar amenities, though not on intersection of major highway and off I-475 only). There are high end restaurants, places to grab quick bites, shop and movie. It is also a better location to serve traffic in all direction. Only negative side is that it is deserted after 10, though don't think so it is that big of an issue. So considering everything we may revise the list.
(1) Intersection of I-75 and I-475 @ Levis Commons Mall
(2) On I-475 @ Fallen Timber Mall
(3) Intersection of I-80 and I-475 @ Maumee
(4) Intersection of I-75 and I-80 @ US-20
(5) Intersection of I-80 and I-280 @ TA center

Unlikely,
(6) Intersection of I-75 and I-80 @ OH-795
(7) on I-80 @ OH turnpike rest plaza

The Town Center at Levis Commons :: 3201 Levis Commons Blvd, Perrysburg, OH. 43551 :: (419) 931-8888
The Shops at Fallen Timbers - Outdoor Shopping, Dining, Entertainment in Toledo / Maumee, Ohio

Would be great to poll TMC members and see what others think.
Toledo Supercharger Location Poll

Last edited:
I'm not sure why so many people seem so concerned with the supercharger in their immediate area... I'm more concerned with superchargers that are 200 miles away :). They should be located in the most convenient place for THRU traffic, not the most locally accessible.

@PokerBroker

Nope not concerned and definitely don't want it in my backyard. Angola now replaces Marshall on the same route. Was just trying to understand where the location is, and what are the amenities around. I understand the rationale of Supercharger, but doesn't need to be at deserted location that you can only use before evening. I though however prefer to have one not more than 130 miles apart, have a 60 kWh.