Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Story on Model S reveal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_11995464

...The car to be unveiled today is merely a "working prototype" that only company engineers are allowed to drive. Before Tesla can manufacture a street-ready version of the Model S, it must build a factory...
I thought they plan to let event attendees drive it.
(Perhaps only within the confines of the private airport?)

Also, the story suggests that the prototype isn't "street-ready", but other stories say it is.

For instance, in this:
http://computerfinance.net/tesla-model-s-gets-unveil-date-roadster-sold-out-to-november/
the new, road-legal prototype will be launched on March 23rd at The Tesla Design Studio inside the SpaceX factory in Hawthorn, California.
(the March 23 date was changed)

http://www.4wheelsnews.com/tesla-model-s-teased-again/
...The prototype will be a street-legal variant with the production version still has 18 months to wait for first deliveries...
Even if the current prototype is "road-legal", I do think there is a chance it would undergo some changes before production.

Last edited:
Well, the battery pack and PEM can't even be close to their final configurations, so I doubt a drive in this version is likely to be very impressive. Seems to me that would argue against letting outsiders drive it.

Not to mention dialing in suspension, steering, balance, throttle handling, etc.. The Roadster went through 2 years of that.

Still though, it's more than Fisker did...

Only rides were being given in the Model S last night. I got a ride in it. Tesla engineers were doing the driving. The route amounted to a "loop" on a closed stretch of a 4-lane road, with a good amount of normal speeds, including a brief acceleration up to a speed approaching highway speed. Most impressive. Not as fast accelerating as the Roadster, of course, but they weren't shy about getting it up to normal speeds. Doug and ToddLa also got a ride in it, so they'll probably have more to say.

Arnold did not ride. Arnold and Elon walked around the car while discussing it and then disappeared. Luckily I was able to get a ride after Arnold did his inspection. The model s is very road worthy. It is an amazing car and I was very excited to see it in person.

The tactile responsive touch screen LCD control panel was striking and the interior was very Aston Martin like. I am extremely impressed with the car.

I know it is crazy...but I literally dream about the door handles. They are a gorgeous design that i am amazed has not been done in the past. Tesla aimed for the fences on this car and I truly believe that they achieved the goal.

I was not sure. There were people yelling to let him drive it (Todd...). I walked away and saw Rachel(?) going over to the car to try and get Elon to let Arnold drive it. Maybe he was gone by the time she got there. (or was deeenyed)

Ok well on that note...now that I think about it...there were very very short periods of time where my eyes were closed when watching arnold around the car...these periods are more commonly known as blinking....it is possible that the Model S features a hyperdrive feature that would have let him drive the Model S during a blink or two....:biggrin:

No no no, I'm sure we can stretch this point for a few more pages...
:tongue:

The door handles for the Roadster are a novel design/unnecessarily complex depending on your point of view.

And now Model S has flush handles. Given the reduced Drag Coefficient, this sort of thing must be worth doing.

Looks very stylish. I hope it's reliable.

Maybe Model S will also have a secret keyhole under the sill.