Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updated SuperCharger Map....no Tampa or Miami/Ft. Lauderdale?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of changes that leave Florida Tesla owners feeling neglected. No more Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale, or Jacksonville. Orlando for day trips - impossible. Ft. Myers Supercharger of limited use because no way to go north unless slogging on 2 lanes roads to Port St. Lucie. Odd Supercharger spacing - Port Orange to St. Augustine 60 miles. St. Augustine to Savannah 160 miles.
If Las Vegas gets a Supercharger why not Florida destinations? Traveling to Miami? Miami is impractical as the charging facilities are sparse and slow.
The old plan was much better!

It wasn't there, even for 2015, earlier today. I still can't believe they are not showing one in the Miami area. Not a problem for Miami residents leaving the state, but could be an issue for those traveling to visit Miami.

No, it's not a problem for those visiting Miami. We have plenty of chargers here. It is a problem for those planning to go to the Keys, though.

Miami is big so unless you're on South Beach or Downtown/Gables there aren't chargers available and it's easy to use more than 100 mile of range just driving around. 30A chargers are only good for overnight charge sessions. Miami is a lot like LA, a lot of driving just to get around. A supercharger in Broward to top off going into Miami and then going out would relieve much of the range anxiety since next Supercharger north is Port St. Lucie. I've gone into Miami and spent 3 hours at Lincoln Road Store just to have enough charge to make it back to Port St. Lucie after a cruise.

Miami is big so unless you're on South Beach or Downtown/Gables there aren't chargers available and it's easy to use more than 100 mile of range just driving around. 30A chargers are only good for overnight charge sessions. Miami is a lot like LA, a lot of driving just to get around. A supercharger in Broward to top off going into Miami and then going out would relieve much of the range anxiety since next Supercharger north is Port St. Lucie. I've gone into Miami and spent 3 hours at Lincoln Road Store just to have enough charge to make it back to Port St. Lucie after a cruise.

Exactly. You made it back. Superchargers are for road trips, and you succeeded in yours.

Hi Ron,

Yes, the "Miami" dot has returned with a 2014 date and the "Tampa" dot has been advanced from 2015 to 2014.

Larry

These charging stations in Tampa and Miami were a huge deciding factor in our decision to purchase the Tesla! My husband and I do a lot of traveling between Naples and Tampa for day trips, so we need to be able to charge while we are up there. Also we travel to Marathon in the Florida keys almost every weekend in the summer so we need to be able to stop half way in Miami! If we can't take the Tesla, what is the point in getting the 85 or even getting the Tesla at all! We already ordered the 85 and take delivery in January, then they change this on us!
This does not make me very happy! :(

These charging stations in Tampa and Miami were a huge deciding factor in our decision to purchase the Tesla! My husband and I do a lot of traveling between Naples and Tampa for day trips, so we need to be able to charge while we are up there. Also we travel to Marathon in the Florida keys almost every weekend in the summer so we need to be able to stop half way in Miami! If we can't take the Tesla, what is the point in getting the 85 or even getting the Tesla at all! We already ordered the 85 and take delivery in January, then they change this on us!

Hi,

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on the imminent delivery of your Model S.

I sympathize with your frustration. Perhaps you can refresh my memory, on the previous map were the Tampa and Miami Superchargers shown as operational in 2013?

By the way, if you are interested in joining our Florida Tesla club, please click on the link in my signature.

Larry

The Miami and Tampa SC's are back on the map for 2014!

I spoke to the SuperCharger guys when the map was first changed and the Florida dots removed. There was quite a SNAFU. Official word from Tesla is that the 2014 and 2015 dots are still more of a guideline than anything else.

Hi Nick,

I am of the opinion we will see more dots reappearing besides the Tampa and Miami dots, hopefully in the not too distant future.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

The Miami and Tampa SC's are back on the map for 2014!

Yes, posting #9.

Larry

Larry,
i was told when I test drove the Tesla that Tampa and Miami SCs would be done by the end of the year. It said on the map Fall 2013, then the map changed to Winter 2013 for Tampa and Miami. Now it says 2014! When in 2014?? It is a waste to drive around the car for a year and never even get to travel with it!
I am disappointed and frustrated, but to think about getting a different foreign-made, gas-guzzling vehicle just doesn't seem right...
i just don't know if I can justify such a large purchase based on a guideline. Maybe I'll wait a couple of years.

Larry,
i was told when I test drove the Tesla that Tampa and Miami SCs would be done by the end of the year. It said on the map Fall 2013, then the map changed to Winter 2013 for Tampa and Miami. Now it says 2014! When in 2014?? It is a waste to drive around the car for a year and never even get to travel with it!
I am disappointed and frustrated, but to think about getting a different foreign-made, gas-guzzling vehicle just doesn't seem right...
i just don't know if I can justify such a large purchase based on a guideline. Maybe I'll wait a couple of years.

Patience my friend. There are currently 40 SCs around the country. Expect that to nearly double before the year is out. These sites are coming on line quickly and I'm sure you will be able to drive to the keys by next summer. As for Tampa, the Ft Meyers station is operational and there are plenty of public chargers available in Tampa, not to mention the Service Center which will be more than happy to give you a charge. Just give them a heads up and a charge cable will be made available.

Patience my friend. There are currently 40 SCs around the country. Expect that to nearly double before the year is out. These sites are coming on line quickly and I'm sure you will be able to drive to the keys by next summer. As for Tampa, the Ft Meyers station is operational and there are plenty of public chargers available in Tampa, not to mention the Service Center which will be more than happy to give you a charge. Just give them a heads up and a charge cable will be made available.
I hate to be cynical but TESLA's placement of the SCs on the I90 corridor is odd at best.

Larry,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but I was out of the country and away from my computer.

At the risk of stating the obvious, not everyone is suited to being an early adopter, and of course there are various degrees of early adoption. For example, I always take my hat off to the Roadster owners who are true early adopters. They put down big money on a company that wasn't likely to be viable, for a car that had limited storage, and NO Supercharger capabilities. However, without the Roadster owners we Model S owners wouldn't even be here complaining about the shifting Supercharger roll-out schedule because there would be no Tesla.

We are all a bit disappointed and frustrated when slippages occur, being an early adopter doesn't completely eliminate these feelings. Its just that most early adopters are more tolerant. It should be noted that the Signature owners committed to buying a Model S even before the Supercharger network was announced.

You of course are in the best position to evaluate your tolerance level, and perhaps waiting would be best for you. However, I have a feeling that when you finally do buy a Tesla you are going to kick yourself saying "Gee, why the heck did I wait and deprive myself of such a great driving experience?!" :biggrin:

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

I hate to be cynical but TESLA's placement of the SCs on the I90 corridor is odd at best.

Hi Marc,

Could you please elaborate, what do you mean I90 corridor?

Thanks.

Larry