Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any charging-friendly hotels in Rockville, MD area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SamGarber

S85 "Whale Shark"
Sep 5, 2013
Philadelphia
I am hoping for an overnight charge to minimize range anxiety for the 200mile round trip between Newark Supercharger and Rockville. I already saw the Marriott has a charger but was wondering if any other options exist nearby for overnight hotel charging.

Hotel charging options near Rockville:
1. Bethesda Marriott Suites has one Aerovironment in a spot with no sign. I'd suggest calling ahead and seeing if they can cone that spot. Bethesda Marriott Suites - Electric Car (EV) Charging Station - PlugShare
1a. There is a Tesla Gallery at Montgomery Mall very close to the Bethesda Marriott with charging. Tesla Montgomery Mall - Electric Car (EV) Charging Station - PlugShare
2. Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian center also has one Aerovironment unit. Free and worked as of three weeks ago. Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center - Electric Car (EV) Charging Station - PlugShare
3. There is a SemaConnect station (card required and fee charged, $10/hr after 4 hours!) close to the SpringHill Suites and Residence Inn in Gaithersburg. The Summit of Washington - Electric Car (EV) Charging Station - PlugShare

Good Luck

Lanny

Not precisely what you asked for, but Tesla has a store and a service center in/near Rockville, both of which I believe have HPWCs available. If you leave DE with something close to a full charge, and you're willing to spend an hour at a mall (or a service center), that should give you a comfortable buffer to get back to DE, especially since you have twin chargers. For either location, I recommend calling ahead.

http://www.teslamotors.com/montgomerymall
http://www.teslamotors.com/service/rockville

PlugShare shows a charging station, in an office parking garage, close to the Rockville-Gaithersburg Hilton Garden Inn:
Shady Grove Office Park - Electric Car (EV) Charging Station - PlugShare
http://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/...inn-rockville-gaithersburg-DCARVGI/index.html
I can't vouch for either one, but both are close to Fallsgrove shopping center on Shady Grove Rd, which has a bunch of good places to eat.

The Rockville Hilton is about halfway between the two Tesla locations:
http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/ma...-and-executive-meeting-ctr-IADMRHF/index.html

Depending on how long you'll be in town, it's worth calling any hotel to see if they have any outdoor electrical outlets (even a 110-120V) for overnight trickle charging. Most won't advertise that, but if they offer it and you bring your UMC, you can gain 30-40 miles of range per night. I stayed at a Holiday Inn in Cherry Hill NJ a couple months ago, and while I ended up getting ICEd (and thankfully not needing the charge), the hotel staff was very willing to offer their help and electricity for no additional fee. YMMV of course.

I am hoping for an overnight charge to minimize range anxiety for the 200mile round trip between Newark Supercharger and Rockville. I already saw the Marriott has a charger but was wondering if any other options exist nearby for overnight hotel charging.

I work in Rockville and have driven to the Newark DE supercharger... as you say just about 100 miles. Unfortunately while I don't have any hotel experience to help you with, I did want to point out that the Tesla Service Center is in Rockville. If you get in a bind, you could probably hit them up for an hour or two of 240A/50A on the day of your departure if needed.

Just a thought in case you need a backup plan...

Hotel charging options near Rockville:
1. Bethesda Marriott Suites has one Aerovironment in a spot with no sign. I'd suggest calling ahead and seeing if they can cone that spot. Bethesda Marriott Suites - Electric Car (EV) Charging Station - PlugShare
1a. There is a Tesla Gallery at Montgomery Mall very close to the Bethesda Marriott with charging. Tesla Montgomery Mall - Electric Car (EV) Charging Station - PlugShare
2. Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian center also has one Aerovironment unit. Free and worked as of three weeks ago. Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center - Electric Car (EV) Charging Station - PlugShare
3. There is a SemaConnect station (card required and fee charged, $10/hr after 4 hours!) close to the SpringHill Suites and Residence Inn in Gaithersburg. The Summit of Washington - Electric Car (EV) Charging Station - PlugShare

Good Luck

Lanny
We were at the Gaithersburg Marriot last weekend. The first couple of days were blocked out of the charger by a Mitsubishi MiEV with local plates that didn't move for a couple of days. I mentioned it to the manager and he immediately investigated, found it belonged to a local apartment dweller and he had it towed. Very accommodating.

The Whole Foods store in Rockville (just off of Rockville Pike) has two Blink chargers in their underground garage. They charge at about 18-19 miles per hour, and costs $1/hr with the Blink card. Tested it several months ago and it worked. I think the first 2 hours of parking (not charging) are free.