Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer VIN constant 12v power options (dashcam)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've searched through the forums and have seen mention of pulling power from the fuse box through to the passenger compartment but no real mention of exactly how it was done. Also do we have a map of the fuse boxes that shows where we can add a fuse for this purpose? I noticed that they're using the smaller type of auto fuses as well. Or is there a place we can tap into inside the cabin? I'm pretty handy but really don't want to go digging around in my brand new car if there are already known ways of doing this. :)

I installed a dashcam in my Tesla. I used a 12v power connector that was located behind the microphone grill between the two front overhead interior lights. Just pull the cover down and there is a unused connector. There are pictures somewhere on the forum, but it was really easy to install the camera next to the mirror mount. It is a constant 12v (not a switched 12v) so the dashcam always stays on. Have not noticed a huge vampire load with the dash cam always powered.

I installed a dashcam in my Tesla. I used a 12v power connector that was located behind the microphone grill between the two front overhead interior lights. Just pull the cover down and there is a unused connector. There are pictures somewhere on the forum, but it was really easy to install the camera next to the mirror mount. It is a constant 12v (not a switched 12v) so the dashcam always stays on. Have not noticed a huge vampire load with the dash cam always powered.

Sadly the newer VINs don't have that connector which is why I was asking.

There's a location to connect by the Tesla diagnostic port behind some paneling along the dash across from the A piller on the driver's side. I had my dashcam professionally installed and they ran the line to there.

Note: If you use that location make sure Tesla is aware so that when you have the car serviced they are careful not to bump disconnect it. They did that to mine once. Not a huge deal, easily remedied.

I pulled power from the seat fuse (always on) and injected it into the fuse terminal feeding the lighter outlet in the cabin. I used a "mini fuse tap" you can find on ebay or a good auto parts store. I installed it backwards to feed the circuit rather than tap the circuit. Now my lighter outlet in the cabin is always on. I use a 12v dometic refrigerator Dometic Portable Freezers Refrigerators CF 25 | eBay . It's kept in the trunk and runs all the time. There is a setting that turns it off if the battery voltage gets to low ( set to it's highest setting). The phone can also be left to charge when the car is off.

Is there a concern about draining the 12v battery with a constantly on 12v device like the Blackvue dashcams? Blackvue sells a "Power Magic Pro" battery discharge prevention device, does this need to be installed if a dashcam is connected to a constant 12v power source?

Is there a concern about draining the 12v battery with a constantly on 12v device like the Blackvue dashcams? Blackvue sells a "Power Magic Pro" battery discharge prevention device, does this need to be installed if a dashcam is connected to a constant 12v power source?

I am going to install the Power Magic pro, it has options to power down the camera at various lengths of time. It seem like a good idea, to avoid draining the 12V battery

I am going to install the Power Magic pro, it has options to power down the camera at various lengths of time. It seem like a good idea, to avoid draining the 12V battery

I ordered mine with the Power Magic Pro, sadly the power magic pro box only had the wiring harness and the instructions. The control box was absent. I'm working on getting a replacement.

I'm going to assume that the BlackVue uses less power than the 17" in the car. Elon had this to say about that topic:

I think we calculated that you can run the computer for about 6 months.
Revealing Model S Beta | Blog | Tesla Motors

Originally Posted by Elon Musk, Beta Reveal Pt. 3: Interior & Touchscreen I think we calculated that you can run the computer for about 6 months.

6 month seems highly unlikely, given car losses 10 miles a day if not in sleep mode. :)

The BlackVue DR500GW-HD power draw is between 0.12A and 0.3A, so it's not likely to drain the battery. Still, I don't see any harm in having the power cut after 24 hours of parking.

Also, turning off wifi lower power draw, according to the Blackvue site:

We strongly recommend the purchase of a Power Adapter with this product due to the increase in electrical draw from having the Wifi turned on continuosly alongside Parking Mode.

6 month seems highly unlikely, given car losses 10 miles a day if not in sleep mode. :)
I believe he was referring to "the laptop portion" of the car rather than "the whole car". Now maybe those consumption numbers aren't that different, but it's worth calling that out.

As for the original question, I've had my DR500GW-HD "always on" (except when I turn it off from overheating or to switch SD cards) for nearly 7 months now. No battery drama for me so far (from the camera or anything else).

I have mine hooked up to the glove box light fuse in the frunk. Figure that won't mess up anything should something go wrong

I'm getting ready to install my BlackVue using this a fuse tap and running wire from the the frunk. Just wanted to confirm with you that this particular fuse in not switched? (i.e. there is constant 12V power on this fuse regardless of if the car is turned on or not? I get that the light in the glove compartment is not always on :) ) I want the parking feature of the camera if someone drives in to me while parked, for evidence.

I have 2 Blackvue's running in my car and I have not had any issues with the 12v draw from them. Being that the car is likely to charge while it sits at night and that's the same time that the 12v would get topped off I don't see why it would pull enough to kill it unless it was left unplugged for a very long time.

For those that are looking to hard wire to the fuse box in the frunk, there is a 3-4" diameter rubber seal in the firewall on the passengers side almost directly behind the glove box if I remember correctly. It come in to the frunk a little below and behind the 12v battery. I used a cut coat hanger to pierce and pull the wires that way the rubber was still tight around the wire and should keep sealed.

I have 2 Blackvue's running in my car and I have not had any issues with the 12v draw from them. Being that the car is likely to charge while it sits at night and that's the same time that the 12v would get topped off I don't see why it would pull enough to kill it unless it was left unplugged for a very long time.

For those that are looking to hard wire to the fuse box in the frunk, there is a 3-4" diameter rubber seal in the firewall on the passengers side almost directly behind the glove box if I remember correctly. It come in to the frunk a little below and behind the 12v battery. I used a cut coat hanger to pierce and pull the wires that way the rubber was still tight around the wire and should keep sealed.

I also haven't had any 12v issues just running the cam directly off the fusebox. I would probably turn it off if I was leaving it sit for over a week or so.

It's really a pretty simple task to install to the fusebox. I'm not handy and I did it. Just open the hood and open the passenger door and look at it for few minutes -- it is pretty straight forward.