Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a chance to stop by the Superchargers being installed at JFK yesterday and take a couple of pictures.

They are being installed at the new JFK Airport Travel Plaza https://www.facebook.com/JFKTravelPlaza at 150 Ave and 147th Street, Queens NY. I tried a few things to have the Tesla Nav system take me directly there, but I couldn't get the system to navigate to the exact correct place, especially because I wasn't sure exactly where it was! Once you know where it is, it's an easy on/off of the highway.

It looks like they have all the equipment there, and conduit run, but no cables are pulled yet, so it still has a ways to go... I'm told that the next step is an inspection on Monday.

Oh, the full location is under construction still, but is nearing completion. Along with gas, they will also have CNG fueling, a larger indoor eating area, free wifi, etc.

Peter

photo 5.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 1(2).JPG
photo 2(2).JPG
photo 4.JPG
photo 1(1).JPG
photo 2(1).JPG

Last edited:
I passed by the JFK Superchargers and took some photos that I wanted to share. However ,none of the Superchargers are working yet as of 12/20. I tried to charge as seen in the photos but I guess they are not powered up yet. They probably have to be inspected and approved but they are opening up a 7 Eleven next Monday. There's a brand new Wendy's , Car wash at this location. Looks like the Superchargers will be operational next week or the following week.

tesla1.JPG

tesla2.jpg

tesla3.jpg

tesla4.jpg

tesla5.jpg

This one is 6 miles off of 495, do you want it closer or are you thinking further out LI?

Arron posted in the main SuperCharger thread that the chargers look good, but are not powered up as of today 12/19.

Peter

6 miles doesn't sound like a long distance... but any NYer will tell you that that section of the Van Wyck Expressway (which is the roadway that connects JFK to the LIE or 495) is hellish. on an average day it takes 25 minutes to drive those 6 miles.. on a bad day, it takes much, much longer.

I maintain therefore that a SC at JFK, while certainly welcome, is not ideal.

and yes, something on the LIE further out on Long Island would certainly be more useful for East-West travel to and from Long Island. a SC along RT-27 would also be welcome and similarly helpful although 495 provides "faster" service to the city "center"

obviously Tesla has had some luck with putting SCs at airports and has moved forward in this regard in an attempt to expedite the SC buildout, but while on paper 20 Nationwide SCs sounds like a lot more than 4, upon closer inspection its not clear that these extra SCs are all equally useful.

I guess I have a different perspective for a few reasons:

1. Every time I've driven that section (save rush hour) I've never felt it was that bad.

2. SuperChargers are viewed as long trip travel enablers, not commuting enablers. As such, I don't expect most targeted users to be traveling through NYC during rush hour.

3. Having driven across the country when only 6 SuperChargers existed, and having spent up to 16 hours charging my car up to full at some non-SuperCharger locations, the thought of being put out during that trip by a SuperCharger that was 6 miles (or even 25 minutes) off of my "ideal" route wouldn't make it count as any less useful than any of the rest.

So far, while every one of the 59 SuperChargers operational (on paper) is not perfectly useful to me, I think they are all equally useful at their intended purpose.

Peter

6 miles doesn't sound like a long distance... but any NYer will tell you that that section of the Van Wyck Expressway (which is the roadway that connects JFK to the LIE or 495) is hellish. on an average day it takes 25 minutes to drive those 6 miles.. on a bad day, it takes much, much longer.

I maintain therefore that a SC at JFK, while certainly welcome, is not ideal.

and yes, something on the LIE further out on Long Island would certainly be more useful for East-West travel to and from Long Island. a SC along RT-27 would also be welcome and similarly helpful although 495 provides "faster" service to the city "center"

obviously Tesla has had some luck with putting SCs at airports and has moved forward in this regard in an attempt to expedite the SC buildout, but while on paper 20 Nationwide SCs sounds like a lot more than 4, upon closer inspection its not clear that these extra SCs are all equally useful.

3. Having driven across the country when only 6 SuperChargers existed, and having spent up to 16 hours charging my car up to full at some non-SuperCharger locations, the thought of being put out during that trip by a SuperCharger that was 6 miles (or even 25 minutes) off of my "ideal" route wouldn't make it count as any less useful than any of the rest.

Mostly agree with all you say, but going up/down the East Coast, it's kinda like "choose your poison" when it comes to rush hour; unless driving overnight, one almost has to hit someone's rush hour. So through poor planning, I've hit NYC rush hour a couple of times. Ugh....

Bt like I said, I'm with you. Actually, the Glenn Allen and Rocky Mount Superchargers are a bit off the beaten track (I think like 4 miles, some on back roads, each, which is more than a non-rush hour highway 6 miles). I'm not complaining! But I think I was spoiled by the DE and CT Superchargers. ;-) Not all are/will be that convenient.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. We occasionally visit friends in Manhattan (staying at a hotel in Fort Lee, NJ, as I recall), so while it's good to have an option, regardless...I'm guessing we'd be more likely to sip from the HPWC at the Paramus store instead of using this. :)

On Tesla website JFK Supercharger | Tesla Motors , it says operational. So somebody go charge and let us know! I posted photos last Thursday but it wasn't operational then. But now it is.

- - - Updated - - -

I got the email for JFK Superchargers just now, it's posted below. Plus, I added it to Recargo.

Tesla Superchargers are now just a road trip away.
Visit teslamotors.com to learn more about Tesla Supercharging and Model S.

First New York Supercharger Now Open!
JFK Supercharger
150th Ave and 147th Street, Queens, NY 11430
24 hrs/day
Charging Stalls - 4
The planet’s fastest charging station is now just a road trip away! We are excited to announce our first New York Supercharger location at the JFK Airport Travel Plaza. The JFK Supercharger represents another milestone in the expansion of our East Coast supercharger network. Soon you will be able to drive your Model S along the East Coast for free, for life.
Incredibly Fast, Always Free
Superchargers can recharge half the capacity of Model S in as little as 20 minutes and are strategically placed to allow owners the ability to drive from station to station while minimizing stops. Superchargers are conveniently located off major highways near cafes, shopping centers and travel plazas.
Ready for a Test Drive?
Visit one of our local retail locations and get behind the wheel of the award winning Model S. Request an appointment today!

Tesla Motors | 3500 Deer Creek Road | Palo Alto, CA 94304
Privacy Policy | Unsubscribe

Last edited: