Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solution for charging Tesla Model S in France with classic schuko 220 V @ 13 A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For thoses of you having problem when you want to use your Tesla charger on a normal socket in France, I found a solution
schuko4.jpg

As you know, if the electrician guy has put phase and neutral in the wrong way. Tesla charger will not be able to start charging
If you can't reverse plug in the socket, because of earth, you can buy a extend cable at less that 3 euros, in a shop. I found one in Germany today, that doesn't have earth pin like in France plugs, but on the sides of the socket. So if charge doesn't begin, you can inverse plug in the extended socket, and then it will works.

Don't forget to unwind the cable, thing that I did not done in the third photo ;)

schuko.jpg

Its a simple thing you are saying, but it really does happen.

In fact, for the non technical Tesla owner there really should de a proper Tesla solution to this... like a pin switch button, or just a less demanding UMC that just didn't care which pin was live and which was neutral.

It is very very common to find the pins inverted in Schuko sockets and I am sure there are plenty people who just freeze when they see the red light.

Thanks for this post.

You can buy the Schuko plugs and sockets separately and make a short version of this to switch the poles. I've even got some kicking around in my tool kit here in the UK (for our trips to France).

Yeah Dave. It's easy though for chaps like you who eat electricity for breakfast :), but for the upmarket Tesla customer it should be either automatic, or as easy as hitting a switch.

Reactions: Roy W.